Communications and Marketing Officer
Re porting to :
Gurnos and Galon Uchaf, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
Design, implement and maintain communication, engagement and marketing strategies to promote the new 3Gs Development Trust, Zero Waste Project; increase householder participation and; increase the percentage of waste recycled and reused in the pilot project area.
Full time position.
1 year fixed term with a view to extend.
for Applications :
5 p.m. on Wednesday the 20 th of June 201 2
About the 3Gs Development Trust
The 3Gs Development Trust is a community owned and community led Development Trust. The board of Directors are made up of representatives of the local Tenants and Residents Boards, Individual members of the community along with professionals from its partner’s organisations. The Trust works across the communities of Gurnos, Galon Uchaf and Penydarren to improve the quality of life for all. It is also the lead organisation for the delivery of the Communities First Programme for the area, which supports and is involved in 50 to 60 projects / activities a week.
Communities First is a Welsh Government programme aimed at tackling poverty in the most deprived and disadvantaged areas of Wales. Communities First Partnerships will include people from voluntary organisations, statutory agencies such as local and health authorities, Police and business.
About the 3Gs Development Trust, Zero Waste Project
The Zero Waste Project will be a community based recycling pilot project operating in the Gurnos and Galon Uchaf areas of Merthyr Tydfil. In the autumn of 2012 the responsibility for the collection and disposal of recycling and food waste will be transferred from the council to the 3Gs Development Trust for a period of 7 years.
Funded by the Cylch and Welsh Government, supported by the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council and a range of partner organisations and social enterprises, the project will pilot a “slow recycling” kerbside sort approach to waste management that aims to demonstrate how Zero Waste could be achieved – physically, economically and socially.
The “slow recycling” method of collection will be in accordance with the waste collections blueprint contained in the Welsh Governments Strategy, Towards Zero Waste. Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council will continue to operate the refuse , garden and bulky waste collection service in the area.
The project is not just about hitting new recycling targets it’s about community regeneration, achieving behavioural change through education, creating green jobs and rewarding the community in the form of a community dividend.
The 3Gs Development Trust is looking for a Communications and Marketing Officer to join its Merthyr Tydfil based Zero Waste Project. This newly created role reports directly to the Project Manager and will be responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining marketing, publicity, communication and engagement strategies to promote the new zero waste project; increase householder participation and; increase the percentage of waste recycled and reused in the pilot project area. The current recycling rate is 36% with a target of 70% by the end of the 7 year project lifespan.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in a similar role and importantly, have a desire to reduce environmental impact through the diversion of waste from landfill.
This is a unique opportunity to work on a topical issue that affects every household and to change the way Wales deals with waste.
- Design, implement and maintain comprehensive communication, engagement and marketing strategies, adopting social marketing techniques, to inform the community about the project and its social, financial and environmental benefits within an agreed timetable;
- Eco Schools co-ordinator for the project area;
- Research new communication, marketing and educational initiatives;
- Prepare press releases and build constructive relationships with local media representatives;
- Work in a customer focused environment representing the project face to face with service users on their doorstep, at local events, workshops, roadshows and meetings;
- Carry out zero waste presentations to schools, community groups and any other interested parties;
- Responsible for publicity material such as literature, website and social media;
- Monitor, evaluate and improve service performance; householder participation and; capture rates;
- Responsible for the customer service database;
- Liaise with the partners and funders;
- Report writing;
- Identify and apply for funding;
- Budget management;
- Supervise staff and volunteers and develop appropriate work plans;
- Work towards achieving high levels of performance against service delivery and legislative targets;
- Reporting and recording damage and repairs;
- To adhere to the 3Gs Development Trust policies and procedures;
- Attend all relevant staff meetings, conferences and training courses as required;
- To work at other locations and undertake duties as may from time to time be required within the organisation;
- Carrying out administrative tasks as required;
- Carry out other duties and reasonable management requests;
- Regularly report to the Project Manager.
Education and Training
Educated to degree level or above.
Experience of door to door communication campaigns.
Experience in media liaison and issues management.
Experience of writing funding applications.
Experience of website maintenance.
Experience in preparing work plans for volunteers and staff.
Experience of preparing press releases and publications such as leaflets, brochures and newsletters.
Experience of preparing and confidence in giving presentations.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to manage budgets.
Ability to supervise and manage staff and volunteers.
Ability to communicate in the medium of Welsh.
Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
Ability to prioritise, plan and manage own workload on a day-to-day basis.
Ability to communicate and engage with a diverse range of people and build positive working links with professionals from a variety of disciplines.
Excellent organisational and project management skills working in a deadline driven environment.
Proven track record of developing, implementing and maintaining communication and engagement strategies.
Proven track record of successfully delivering projects on time and that meet tar gets.
Excellent written communication skills including report writing.
Excellent verbal communication skills especially face to face with the public.
Ability to undertake monitoring and evaluation analysis - with experience of presenting statistical breakdowns in report format.
Knowledge and Understanding
General understanding to the barriers to recycling at home.
Knowledge of social marketing.
Knowledge of the Keep Wales Tidy, Eco Schools programme.
Understanding and interest in recycling and waste related issues.
Knowledge of waste management strategies, polices and legislation – in particular Welsh Assembly Government Towards Zero Waste, Municipal Sector Plan, Part 1, Collections Blueprint.
Understanding of the third sector organisations.
Understanding of the implications of the framework of Equal Opportunities and recognise the value of diversity in the workplace.
Commitment to personal development and a willingness to improve performance and skills.
A commitment to the overall aims and objectives of the zero waste project .
A commitment to presenting the organisation and zero waste project in a positive and consistent manner.
Flexibility and adaptability.
Self motivated and able to work under pressure.
A willingness to learn and improve performance and skills.
Computer literate in particular Microsoft Office products.
Full UK driving licen c e ; regular access to a vehicle that is insured for business use .
Other Information :
This position will require travel throughout South Wales / England , and will involve evening and weekend work .
For further information about this role please contact Michelle Boland, Project Manager, 01685 353422.
- 12 months ago