Position: Network Engineer (Wireless Campus)
School/Department: Information Services
Closing Date: Friday 31 August 2012
Salary: £30,122 - £39,257 per annum (including contribution points)
Anticipated Interview Date: Monday 1 October 2012
To work in the Network Group within Infrastructure in support of the University's teaching, learning, research and administration activities through the development and support of its data communication network to include modern network and wireless technologies.
1. Working as part of a team to identify, develop and implement computer and network/wireless systems and solutions to provide an integrated range of high quality services in support of the University's administrative, research, learning and teaching objectives.
2. Using appropriate technologies and applications to ensure the continuity, performance and security of the University's business functions running over the network services.
3. Administering central network and related computer systems for the University.
4. Developing and administering network related information databases and linking these and network systems to directory systems.
5. Leading/participating in project teams engaged in development work.
6. Participating in collaborative projects with other Groups and Divisions.
7. Inter-working with Janet and other regional and international organisations.
8. Supporting the establishment and development of a high quality enterprise infrastructure.
9. Contributing to the formulation and achievement of the aims and objectives of the Network Group and the Infrastructure Division.
10. Acting as a member of the Computer Emergency Response Team.
11. Such other duties as may be required and which fall within the general ambit of the post.
Planning and Organising:
1. Plan own work over the short to medium term with an awareness of longer term issues, in response to manager's general instructions.
2. Contribute to larger projects as part of a project team.
3. Contribute to the planning and organisation of service changes with regard to their impact on the business of the University.
4. Develop appropriate work schedules in order to meet targets and/or turnaround times.
Resource Management Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the planning of resources within the area of responsibility to ensure that they are effectively managed and monitored.
2. Advise on the cost/benefit of new and existing technologies.
3. Assume delegated responsibilities as appropriate, including budget.
4. Supervise colleagues where appropriate, ensuring that individual contributions are maximised.
Internal and External Relationships:
1. Attend internal and external meetings to ensure that relevant issues are appropriately represented and reported.
2. Liaise with key contacts to ensure appropriate integration, collaboration and understanding.
3. Liaise with external suppliers, consultants and other third parties.
1. Degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent.
2. 3 years relevant experience:-
3. Must understand and be able to apply modern network technologies, TCP/IP, router and switch management, IEEE 802.3x, transmission technologies, Internet security solutions.
4. Experience of modern enterprise Wireless (WiFi) distribution technologies, authentication technologies (e.g. EAP, Radius, LDAP, NAC) and mobile device management.
5. Experience of network integration, trouble-shooting and protocol analysis.
6. Experience of UNIX system administration.
7. Understanding of emerging network technologies.
8. Hands-on application of solutions.
9. Must be able to communicate effectively with a wide range of professionals, customers and consultants.
10. Must be able to understand new technologies quickly and initiate innovative solutions.
11. Must be able to evaluate conflicting demands and make judgements affecting important projects and services.
12. Travel to the University's outreaches to provide support services.
13. Occasional work in the evening and at weekends, at such times to be arranged by consultation to meet the needs of the University.
1. Recognised network qualification, such as CCNP or CCDP.
2. Recognised security qualification such as CCSA or CLAS.
3. Experience in network management SNMP.
4. Experience of OSPF, DNS, DHCP, Firewall, AAA technologies.
5. Experience in the configuration of data networks (wired and wireless) to carry voice and video traffic with assured quality of service.
6. Experience in providing a high quality customer service.
7. Enthusiasm for working with network and security technologies.
8. Clean driving licence. RecruitNI.com - 10 months ago