Carillion is one of the UK’s leading support services companies with a substantial portfolio of Public Private Partnership projects and extensive construction capabilities. The Group has annual revenue of over £5billion, employs around 50,000 people and operates across the UK, in the Middle East, Canada and the Caribbean.
In the UK, Carillion’s principal market sectors are Defence, Education, Health, Facilities Management & Services, Rail, Roads, Building, Civil Engineering and Utilities Services.
In the Middle East, Carillion’s principal market sectors are Construction and Facilities Management. In Canada and the Caribbean, the Group’s main sectors are Health, Roads Maintenance and Construction.
Carillon’s portfolio of equity investments in Public Private Partnership projects includes projects in the UK and Canada, particularly in the Defence, Education, Health and transport sectors.
Carillion is an equal opportunities employer.
Business Unit/Area Overview
Purpose of Role
To provide a wide range of engineering knowledge for tenders and sites for all the Rail disciplines - Civil’s, Permanent Way, Overhead Line, Signalling, Telecommunications and Electrification and Plant - to ensure all disciplines are compatible and there is an integrated design that works and produces a safe railway.
Key Objectives of the Role
- Personally undertake responsibilities of a CEM as identified in Network Rail Standards NR/L2/INI/L2/02009
- Co-ordinate all aspects of multidisciplinary Design.
- Identify and ensure adequate training and resource of the design teams are available for the demands of the company
- Carry out staff performance reviews and job chats
Temporary Works (TW) Policy
- Responsible for the running of the TW policy within the Scotland region
- Prepare and deliver TW briefings to all new sites
- Ensure all appointed persons are aware of their role and responsibilities
- Ensure the correct reporting and smooth running of the TW design resource
Supporting Work Winning Team
- Provide TW plus Design and Build input into tenders
- Provide and maintain the approved designers database for permanent works design
- Responsible for IMS205 Management of design – Appointment of designers policy
- Provide technical input for complex TW designs / checks
- Provide technical input for permanent works design issues
Job Level Overview
Subject to functional policy objectives and/or general business direction, the Job Holder will work within broadly defined policies and objectives. He/She will demonstrate a detailed grasp of involved practices and procedures and will normally possess either an appropriate professional, or academic quqlification. The Job Holder's performance will have either a small impact on plc performance, or a medium impact on Business Group performance.
- Delivers elements within their Business Unit plan to achieve current year's performance
- Inputs to planning activities with horizons of typically 1-2 years
- Manages activities to support operational delivery and growth for their
- Operates within agreed operational and/or management guidelines
- Maintains effective internal and external client or user relationships within own area of responsibility
- Delivers Health and Safety policy and standards
- Implements Business Unit decisions and sets local priorities
- Applies high level technical skills across a range of functional or business activities
- Focuses on providing input to the annual business, financial and people plan for the specific contract, project or specialism
Within a Business Unit or a professional function:
- Works within clear budgetary guidelines
- Translates plans and requirements into realistic budgets and targets for sub-teams
- Promotes innovative ways to add value and reduce costs within the team.
- May contribute to budget planning
- Directs Level 1 projects
For a contract or multi-disciplinary team:
- Responsible for the overall resourcing
- Optimises performance
- Undertakes performance reviews and provides training, reward and succession recommendations
- Full management control of people resources and is responsible for implementing disciplinary actions up to and including dismissal.
Knowledge and Applied Skills
- Candidate should have professional qualifications or equivalent experience in any one of the Rail disciplines.
- Track record of success in supporting a major business contract, Business Unit or region and/or providing support to a professional function
- Likely to have in excess of 5 years managerial and/or technical experience. Member of a Professional Body with Intermediate Level Qualifications as a minimum.
Achieving and Doing
Contributing to continuous improvement
Dealing with Change
Delivery Through People
Planning and Organising
Additional Role Information
To act as a Contractors Engineering Manager as described by Network Rail procedures. Must have acted in this role previously, and be able to demonstrate experience on multi-disciplinary rail projects.
The role will ecompass both Tendering through to project delivery and close-out.
Previous experience in Scotland would be an advantage.
Company Car and Private Health Care
- 12 months ago