Safety, Health & Environment Manager
Innovators With Insight
The Safety, Health & Environment Manager will be responsible for a principal location within Cobham, ensuring best Safety, Health & Environment (SHE) practise to company guidelines across the site
Cobham Tactical Communications and Surveillance (CTCS) has achieved compliance (self assessed) with the foundation level of the Cobham corporate SHE Management Standards, and is now seeking a qualified and competent person to take responsibility for the Safety, Health and Environmental agenda and drive the SHE performance of the Strategic Business Unit (SBU) in line with the requirements of the Cobham plc SHE Standards.
It is expected that the post holder will, within a reasonable time, ensure that the SBU meets the World Class Performance level as defined by the Cobham Corporate SHE Management Standards.
To achieve this it is expected that the post holder will pursue an appropriate anticipatory or opportunity based strategy that not only ensures compliance with internal and external standards but also fully supports the wider Cobham Corporate Responsibility and SHE agendas.
is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defence systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
As a Safety, Health & Environment Manager your key responsibilities will include
- Take responsibility for the Safety, Health and Environmental agenda and drive the SHE performance of the Strategic Business Unit in line with the requirements of the Cobham plc SHE Standards.
- Embrace the principles of “Excellence in Delivery” as expressed by Cobham plc and to ensure that the SHE performance of the business unit embodies and reflects these principles.
- Develop, implement and monitor as appropriate a suitable SHE strategy including the drafting, implementation and monitoring of necessary SHE policies and procedures.
- To provide advice and guidance on current legal requirements and aspects of best practice in relation to the undertaking of the SBU to all managers on all SHE related issues.
- To ensure that the SBU is kept up to date with relevant legislation and Codes of Practice through the maintenance of a register of relevant legal requirements and by ensuring that company policies and procedures are regularly reviewed in light of changes to the relevant legislation and codes of practice.
- To ensure that a comprehensive programme of risk assessment and control is developed and implemented throughout the business and to ensure that suitable and sufficient records of risk assessment are maintained.
- Carry out and or ensure the carrying out of, in conjunction with relevant managers and members of staff, any advanced hazard identification techniques and specialist risk assessments including workstation, CoSHH and Manual Handling assessments that may, for any reason, be necessary.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate system for the reporting, recording, and analysis of all incidents and accidents including near misses.
- To ensure that all incidents and accidents are investigated and that any lessons to be learned from such incidents and accidents are adequately documented and presented to the business in order to prevent any future recurrence of the incident or accident.
- To ensure that any corrective action developed following an incident investigation or the discovery of any non-conformance during inspection and audit are tracked to implementation.
- To ensure that the business meets its obligations under the Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations.
- In conjunction with relevant managers and staff develop appropriate key performance indicators, leading and lagging, and provide timely and relevant statistics and advice regarding SHE performance trends to the business managers.
- Develop and implement, in conjunction with relevant managers and staff, a suitable programme of workplace inspections and management / worker safety observations and engagement that supports the development and maintenance of a positive SHE culture within the business.
- Maintain a logical and comprehensive electronic filing system for SHE on the “shared drive” ensuring that appropriate levels of confidentiality and document version control are maintained.
- To ensure that fire wardens and first aiders are appointed and trained as necessary.
- To be the principle point of contact on behalf of Cobham TCS for contact with external SHE agencies and SHE Enforcing Officers.
As a Safety, Health & Environment Manager your skills & experience will ideally include
Desirable skills & experience would include:
- Holder of a BSC Honours degree in Safety, Health and the Environment or equivalent
- a member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health at Grad IOSH level
- Working towards or hold Chartered Status.
- Able to demonstrate a record of successful outcomes from SHE based strategies and initiatives that they have devised and implemented or in which they have played a substantial part.
- Holds the NEBOSH Diploma.
- Is a member of IOSH at Grad IOSH level or is entitled to membership of IOSH at Grad IOSH level if not currently a member.
- Is enrolled on the IOSH CPD Scheme and can demonstrate a relevant and up to date CPD plan and record for the current CPD cycle
- Hold experience in a relevant Safety, Health and Environment Management role that amounted to at least 50% of the total role where the role was not full time.
- Able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the main risks and the methods of risk control associated with the design, development, manufacture and installation of electronic communication products and services.
- Can demonstrate a record of successful outcomes from SHE based strategies and initiatives that they have devised and / or implemented or in which they have played a substantial part.
- computer literate and able to use the Microsoft Office programmes including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Is able to identify relevant SHE metrics and present SHE related statistics in a factual and informative manner.
- Can demonstrate an understanding of Behavioural safety Techniques and interventions.
- Has a relevant professional training certificate such as PTTLLS or the CIEH professional trainers Certificate or equivalent.
- Has relevant experience of planning and delivering SHE related workplace training.
- Can demonstrate an understanding of SHE management as it applies to an international / global company and the company’s wider sustainability agenda.
- Has some experience of working within the electronics design, development and manufacturing industry.
- Can demonstrate the successful development and or implementation of relevant behavioural safety techniques and interventions.
What we are looking for in you
You will be organised and able to maintain a safe working environment, a capable problem solver with initiative and drive to complete multiple tasks and projects. You will be able to design, document and follow correct procedure with a passion for learning and continuous improvement
Cobham TCS Whitely
- 13 months ago