Background for Role
To process applications from seafarers for marine examinations leading to certificates of competency/equivalent competency and other marine certificates and to give related advice and assistance.
This post is being advertised as fixed term appointment for 12 months with a possibility of permanence or extension.
This vacancy is open to employees who were appointed to the Civil Service on merit following a fair and open competition, or were appointed to a permanent Civil Service post in accordance with an exception certified by the Civil Service Commissioners.
Please note existing civil servants applying on promotion are expected to start on the minimum salary however this is calculated on an individual basis, dependent on current civil service salary.
Main Roles and Accountabilities
- Receive, open and record all incoming mail, including fax and e-mails. Input details of post received onto the appropriate post sheets and Seafarer Documentation System (SDS). Update appropriate statistics database.
- Assess applications from seafarers to sit Merchant Navy and Fishing Vessel Deck and Engineer oral examinations requesting further information as necessary and process using SDS.
- Assess applications from seafarers for Global Maritime Distress & Safety System endorsements and re-validations and assess applications for Vessel Traffic Services (VTS).
- Issue appropriate notices of eligibility or notices of assessment to seafarers whose applications have been assessed and who have been found eligible to sit the relevant oral examination, or notify those who are not eligible.
- Issue certificates of competency/equivalent competency to seafarers who have passed the MCA oral examination.
- Answer telephone enquiries from seafarers, shipping companies, marine offices etc in relation to applications and certification of seafarers, reply to written enquiries relating to applications.
- Contribute and provide support to other administrative tasks such as: branch projects, customer service initiatives and improvement of working practices.
Essential minimum qualifications and other specific requirements
- IT skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, Qualification or relevant experience essential.
- Experience in a customer service environment, including face to face, telephone and written communication is essential.
1. IT skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, Qualification or relevant experience essential
2. Experience in a customer service environment, including face to face, telephone and written communication is essential
3. Customer Service
4. Organisational Performance Management
5. People Management
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS COMPETENCIES - all at level 1
- Customer Service
- Organisational Performance Management
- People Management
Applicants should read the guidance on the link below before completing their application.
The Professional Skills for Government (PSG) Framework, can be downloaded from the MCA website. To view the PSG Framework please copy and paste the following address into your web browser.
This job/these jobs are available for full-time, part-time or flexible working arrangements (including Job Share arrangements).
- 12 months ago