Seddon have been in business for over a century, a family owned company offering an ethos that combines stability, integrity, honesty and sound principles. Seddon employ over 1000 people including professionals, tradesmen, technical staff including 70 trainees and apprentices. With clients in the public and private sectors, Seddon Construction is one of the country's leading providers of services to the built environment.
Seddon are searching for the best and brightest college leaver to join their commercial team to help shape the future of the business.
Seddon is renowned for its training, staff development and progression within the company. The Trainee Surveying programme, which lasts 5 years, combines day release university study, funded by ourselves, with practical on the job experience so that the Trainee can learn the Seddon way.
Job role and duties Years 1-3
The role entails managing and controlling financial aspects of the construction process. As a Trainee Quantity Surveyor you will assist the Quantity Surveying team to provide effective cost management and cost control expertise from initial feasibility studies through to design and construction. You will assist Quantity Surveyors to ensure that the project is completed within budget and this will include:
- Sub contract procurement
- Tender analysis
- Site re-measures
- Sub-contract valuations and payments
- External valuations and cashflow procedures
- A basic knowledge of cost reporting and financial forecasting
Time spent on site will help give an understanding of building techniques and processes. The role also entails some general office work such as delivering tenders and filing monthly valuations and certificates.
Job role and duties Years 4-5
In years 4-5, as you become more experienced and close to running your own contract, the general office duties will be left behind and you will be given increased responsibilities stretching to:
- Preparation of monthly management accounts and reporting thereon.
- Helping to manage any contractual disputes.
- Providing assistance and advice to project teams on contractual, financial and commercial issues.
- Monitoring and controlling the preparation of monthly Cost Value Reconciliations (CVRs) and quarterly reviews and ensuring these are produced to the company standard.
- Preparation of monthly contract review summaries including financial forecasts to completion.
- Participation in monthly performance review meetings within the Business Unit for the contracts you are responsible for.
- Ensuring timely settlement of final accounts.
- Value engineering of projects to ensure that the project is delivered in the most cost effective manner.
- Ensuring projects are delivered to budget.
- Managing correspondence promptly and concisely.
- Helping to develop the regional supply chain.
- Ensuring production of accurate reports as required by the Senior Management Team.
To be considered for this role you must be suitably qualified to enroll on Salford University's Quantity Surveying Degree course, on a 5 year day-release basis. For this you must have '300 UCAS points', typically 3 'A' Levels at grades B or equivalent.
Seddon's main aim is to develop the successful candidate into a well rounded highly professional Quantity Surveyor to retain within the company for years to come. The successful candidate should come with passion and energy which will naturally help you in your role. Should you be interested for this years vacancy please submit your CV indicating your expected grades to:
- 9 months ago