For more than a century BOC's gases and expertise have contributed to advances in many industries and aspects of everyday life, including steelmaking, refining, chemical processing, environmental protection, wastewater treatment, welding and cutting, food processing and distribution, glass production, electronics and health care.
BOC is a member of The Linde Group, a world-leading industrial gases and engineering company with more than 51,000 employees working in around 70 countries worldwide. Following the acquisition of BOC, the company achieves annual gases and engineering sales of around 12 billion euros. The strategy of The Linde Group is geared towards earnings-based growth and focuses on the expansion of its international business with forward-looking products and services.
We are now looking for a Mechanical Technician. Reporting to the Mechanical Foreman at our Margam Site. The overall purpose of this job is to support the continued operation of the Branch by ensuring all plant machinery, equipment and cryogenic systems are maintained in an efficient manner, whilst ensuring that company operational standards and statutory requirements are met.
The key purpose of the role is to support the Margam operations team in maintaining the safe and reliable operation of the equipment on the Margam site and its Satellite’s.
Responsible for supporting the mechanical maintenance programme for all aspects of production on-site and on the offsite plants to measured KPI targets and response to breakdowns to ensure continuous reliable and efficient operation, this includes
- Planned and unplanned maintenance of all site mechanical equipment in line with the requirements of SAP maintenance planning tool under the supervision of the mechanical foreman.
- Provide mechanical resource in support of the satellite plants in liaison with the mechanical foreman.
- Remedy equipment faults, and to obtain and interrogate condition-based monitoring information.
- Resolving equipment problems by rectifying defects, and identifying opportunities that will enhance plant reliability.
- Ensure all plant, machinery and equipment is maintained efficiently and safely to BOC Standards and procedures, and any applicable Statutory regulations.
- Completing and maintaining training profile as per the internal training programme.
- Work with contractors/reliability engineering to ensure a safe and cost effective quality service is provided meeting the standards and requirements of BOC.
- Maintaining a safe and clean site environment.
- Production of Risk Assessments and Method Statements for all appropriate activities.
- Reporting to the mechanical foreman, plant manager and central engineering platforms for higher technical authority where required.
- Working alongside the production team to diagnose faults, prepare permits and plan maintenance activities.
The Mechanical Maintenance Technician will have to work on self initiative and will be called upon to provide cover for the Mechanical Foreman during holiday or busy periods. During weekends and on other occasions work is carried out without direct technical supervision.
The technician will normally work day hours during the week and will be expected to cover breakdown work out of hours or at weekends or at plant overhauls
This position responds to the Mechanical Foreman who determines work priorities, performs administrative duties and supplies technical advice where necessary.
The technician will attend safety, branch and maintenance team meetings on a regular basis and if needed, be available to attend plant problems out of normal hours.
The successful candidate will have a background in mechanical engineering and fitting practices and will have full crafts (City & Guilds, NVQ level 3) training through a recognised apprenticeship or relevant industrial experience.
General workshop skills, such as turning, welding (gas and electric), soldering (soft and silver), grinding, rigging, craneage and installations. Familiarity with workshop regulations with regard to grinding wheels, lifting equipment, together with a full driving licence are required.
Specialised knowledge of cryogenic equipment and machinery used for flow and compression of gases would be advantageous, although not essential.
To apply go to www.bocjobs.com, select the relevant Job Id, specifying the level of position you wish to be considered for and register your details within the Job Opportunities section.
3rd August 2012
The Linde Group
- 11 months ago