1. Technical and scientific support to DETI Minerals & Petroleum Branch on petroleum licences, including the development of technical guidance and operational standards, assessment of applications and licence monitoring.
2. Integrate, interpret and review exploration geoscience data to promote the petroleum and geothermal exploration potential of Northern Ireland.
3. Geological Research. The post holder will be expected to identify and develop areas of research of societal/economic value to Northern Ireland and bring these to fruition and publication through collaboration with other stakeholders if required.
1. Environmental assessment of exploration activities – the jobholder will perform initial screening of exploration to identify requirements for more specialised environmental assessments.
2. Public outreach – the jobholder will be expected to contribute to GSNI’s role in the public understanding of science through publications and interaction with the media and the public including schools, societies etc. Position and Person Requirements
An ability to provide high quality advice to Government and exploration sector on petroleum exploration and development in Northern Ireland
Advanced knowledge of and experience in petroleum geology
MSc or PhD in petroleum geology or related topic
Experience of Microsoft Office software
Demonstrable ability to deliver to deadlines (e.g. thesis completion, reports, etc)
An ability to manage several concurrent tasks
Demonstrable ability to adapt to short and longer-term change
Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in written communication, to a wide range of audiences including non-scientific Government policy makers, exploration professionals, academics and the wider public
Ability to make decisions and provide novel solutions to problems
Expected to work autonomously, but to seek advice, exchange ideas and collaborate with experienced colleagues, as required
Ability to work in teams of various size
Knowledge/experience of: Geophysical interpretation, Reservoir characterisation and Structural geology
Experience in petroleum exploration and/or production with oil company, service company or regulatory authority
Experience of GIS software
Experience of Kingdom, Landmark or Petrel seismic software
Experience in dealing with large digital datasets
Some experience of leading teams/projects Additional Details
Working hours will be 37 per week excluding lunch breaks. A generous benefits package is also offered, including a company pension scheme, childcare voucher scheme, 30 days annual leave plus 10.5 days public and privilege holidays. NERC has an equal opportunities policy and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. People with disabilities and those from ethnic minorities are currently under represented and their applications are particularly welcomed.Guaranteed interview scheme for applicants with disabilities. The British Geological Survey is an Investors in People organisation. How To Apply
We want to make our application process as easy for you as we possibly can. If you experience any problems in applying for this job, or have any feedback for us about the application process, please contact our Recruitment Hotline on 01793 867406 (8. 30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday). Please quote the appropriate IRC reference number when calling.
Closing Date: 27 July 2012 Research Councils UK - 10 months ago