Administrative Assistant Job Description
Information about the ENN
The Emergency Nutrition Network (ENN) is an international UK registered charity, based in Oxford, UK. The ENN was established in 1996 and is governed by a Board of Trustees.
The ENN’s mandate is to improve the quality of humanitarian response by supporting information capture and learning amongst practioners working in emergency preparedness and response in nutrition and food security crises worldwide. The ENN’s activities include production of two print/online publications (Field Exchange, Field Exchange Digest) distributed internationally, moderating an online technical forum for rapid response to practioners (en-net), facilitation of operational research and technical groups/communities of practice, and capacity development (resource production and training delivery). The ENN is financially supported by over 20 international non-governmental organisations and United Nations agencies and by bilateral donor funds.
The ENN team
The ENN has a ‘core team’ of seven employees. Projects are implemented by staff and an established network of ENN Associates, ‘hand-picked’ consultants and collaborating agencies that support implementation of projects worldwide. Three project support staff are based in the ENN Oxford office (one full-time Operations Officer, one part-time Finance Manager and one part-time Mailing Assistant). Three Technical Directors and one Nutritionist comprise the project technical team and are home based.
The advertised position is a new post to support the project support staff based at the ENN office in Oxford.
Operations Officer and ENN Technical Directors
Purpose of the job:
To provide administrative support to ENN operations
The position is based at the ENN office in Oxford, UK
1. General administration:
2. Support office maintenance:
- Receive general enquiries to ENN by phone and email, refer to the right ENN staff member and/or respond appropriately.
- Perform general clerical duties to support the ENN staff members, including writing letters and emails, printing, scanning, photocopying and posting.
- Open and sort post.
- Maintain hard copy and electronic filing systems.
- Ensure the operation of office equipment and arrange maintenance and repairs when required.
- Ensure adequate office supplies, by anticipating needs and ordering supplies.
- Keep the office well organised, neat and tidy.
3. Support administration of ENN projects
- Assist in sourcing and compiling data to support ENN reports as required.
- Support the administration of ENN publications, such as securing quotes from printers, designers and distributors.
- Arrange flights, visas and accommodation for field staff/project consultants as required.
4. Finance and administration support
- Management of petty cash.
- Basic book-keeping to support Finance Manager.
- Provide administrative support for the financial management of projects, such as coding of invoices and some monitoring of expenditure.
- Support administration for meetings (e.g. staff meetings, trustees meetings, or occasional larger meetings and conferences). Investigate and book venues, caterers and other external service providers.
- Compile information for participants.
- Provide other general administration support in the run up to and during meetings.
The post holder will be expected to take responsibility for managing their own work, under the guidance of the Operations Officer and occasionally the ENN Directors and Finance Manager as appropriate.
The post holder will have contact (in person, phone, and email) with the Operations Officer, Mailing Assistant and some contact with the ENN Directors and Finance Manager.
The post holder may also have some interaction with ENN technical staff and project partners.
- Excellent computer skills - word processing and spreadsheets
- Excellent communication skills - oral, written and numerical
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise workload and be able to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to work using own initiative within boundaries
- Comfortable working as part of a small team
- Comfortable with distance project support
- Good keyboard skills
- Good numeracy skills
- Legible handwriting
- An ability to write messages, letters and simple reports which are clear and structured
- Has tact and diplomacy
- The ability to maintain confidentiality
- Bookkeeping experience
- Experience of using QuickBooks software package
- Knowledge and/or interest in emergency nutrition issues
- Ability in a second language (French, Spanish)
Initially for one year
Number of hours:
6-9 hours per week, over 2-3 days. Working hours will be flexible and negotiable.
ENN office, Oxford, UK .
c£16,000 - £18,000 pro rata
25 days plus bank holidays pro rata
Stakeholder pension available
The application Deadline is 5pm on May 21st 2012.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview no later than May 28th 2012. Please note only candidates who have been shortlisted will be contacted.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK at the time of applying.
- 13 months ago