What’s the job?
Sales Manager (Direct Sales)
Where do I work?
NI Sales & Marketing; Sales
Who’s my manager?
Head of Direct Sales
Who reports to me?
Sales Executive (Direct Sales)
Why are we here?
To attract passionate, loyal and valuable customers to our brands.
Marketing and Sales Department NI Marketing and Sales is made up of 5 teams all working together to deliver the marketing vision as set out above. We believe that if we test all our activity against this vision we can better achieve our strategic goals:
What’s my personal contribution?
- Fuel Passion for our brands among customers and staff
- Grow the subscriber base
- Grow volume of repeat, known customers
- Attract and convert competitor readers into subscribers
- Deliver and sell the value of audiences
- Reduce fixed cost of the marketing operation
- Grow total customer revenues
- Maximise the life time value of our customers
- Grow our share of multi-platform circulation
To optimise the customer acquisition journey using all direct to customer channels to increase volume and value sales of all committed products sold direct to customers by NI, and deliver the maximum life time value customers to NI. To manage the strategy and delivery of all traditional direct to customer marketing activity.
To manage the operational delivery of a market-leading committed contract strategy for NI customers, always working to deliver great customer experience that matches the brand promise and creates high levels of customer satisfaction and re-engagement.
What are my accountabilities?
- Develop and deliver strategies to grow sales, revenues and volumes from committed customers (subscriptions) by generating inbound traffic using outbound below the line comms including: direct mail (print and electronic), affiliates and new routes.
- Develop and deliver strategies to grow sales, revenues and volumes from committed customers (subscriptions) by generating outbound sales using telemarketing.
- Develop and deliver plans and direct marketing campaigns to drive committed/ subscription customer sales and deliver revenue performance improvements.
- Work closely with the Head of Integrated Sales Planning to support forecasting of multi-channel sales.
- Work in collaboration with the Head of Direct Sales to develop compelling customer propositions, journeys to commitment and messaging hierarchy.
- Work in collaboration with the Head of Direct Sales to monitor and evaluate all direct campaign activity and employ direct sales levers accordingly to deliver against targets.
- Take ownership of traffic and direct to customer lead generation.
- Manage the operational relationship with customer contact centre and support the Sales Executive (Digital Sales) in maintaining the call centres’ SLAs with NI.
- Challenge existing sales practices to increase conversion rates to committed products via all sales channels. This includes: supplier benchmarking, robust reporting, test and learn changes to scripts/ pages/ e-mails, etc.
- Identify new data generation leads to feed into sales channels which complement existing data generation activity.
- Encourage the use of acquisition techniques (e.g. digital) for committed projects that drive down CPA.
- Work with the Sales Support Manager to utilise customer, shopper, media and industry insight to develop and optimise compelling sales propositions and customer journeys to drive sales, increase commitment and increase LTV of customers.
- Integrate consumer insight from the Sales Support Manager into multi-channel, multi-platform and multi-product plans that and feed these into the 13 week and annual sales plans
- Develop robust business cases for all significant activity, taking input from Finance and the Integrated Sales Planning Manager where required, take ownership of activity P&Ls, and oversee trials of new sales channels for committed products (e.g. door to door, ‘shopping centres’, gifting).
- Work with the Head of Direct Sales to develop trial and promotional pricing for committed products.
- Improve performance of the function / department through the analysis of existing business processes, identifying innovative alternatives and recommendations for more effective or efficient ‘ways of working’ / product / service
- Drive the efficient delivery of organisational change projects in support of NI’s strategic agenda within a culture of empowerment through personal leadership
- Build the capability and capacity of individuals and team within the function / department through insight, constructive feedback and challenge to enable team effectiveness, ensure consistency with NI / Marketing values and behaviours, and to drive business performance.
What do I know?
What do I show?
- 3+ years’ experience of direct sales and/or marketing experience
- Demonstrable target driven approach to sales and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of managing/optimising online and offline customer journeys
- Thorough understanding of tools and techniques used in integrated direct marketing communications
- Thorough understanding of News International Marketing strategy and how Sales & Circulation can support this strategy
- Deep understanding of shoppers and the newspaper industry
- Comparative understanding of all direct marketing channels
- Expertise in performance monitoring / tracking and budget management
- Good at working as part of cross functional team
Willing and able and hungry to do well.
A team player – happy to help out across the board when needed.
Committed and focused on meeting targets.
Constantly exceeds expectations.
Good presentation skills internally and externally.
Builds effective relationships internally and externally.
Bubbly, motivated and smart.
Weekend working may be needed at times
News Corporation - 12 months ago