Yodel Employee Reviews

Not recommended
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex11 December 2017
Lack of respect of attitude to employees, working on Saturday not paid double or 1.5 per usual rate. Like a slave I felt there honest. And I was sleeping 4 hours daily because of the schedule at yodel
Pros
Free working hours not paid
Cons
Long hours no place even to go to toilet
Messy workplace and organization
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Southampton9 December 2017
It is not organized properly and there are changes almost every week. You have to work every day even on Saturday and Sunday. At least the payment is in every 2 weeks not monthly like some other companies.
Pros
Payment is in every 2 weeks
Cons
Very bad organization
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Bellshill7 December 2017
Got given a job opportunity here by a friend of a friend . Worked there for a few months and it was great , only reason I left was due to health issues
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
fast paced no paid break
Debrief Team (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London7 December 2017
Lots of heavy lifting and rushing around, peak time you'll be unloading a van and theres a queue of vans going out of the warehouse and theres only 3 people able to debrief
Cons
long hours, no paid break
great place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds6 December 2017
A very dynamic environment, with great co-workers.Fantasic employer great company. People friendly, professional focused great can do attitude towards public, customer and all people inhouse.
Steer clear.
Courier/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear1 December 2017
Boy oh boy what an absolute mess of a company. From terrible administration to lies and deceipt and bone idleness of most managers. They look at you and talk to you like you're something scraped from a shoe. Inadequate equipment and battered unserviced vans with shoddy tyres. Job's easy but they make it feel difficult because they can't organise properly.
Pros
None.
Cons
Constant deception and laziness.
it was ok
Courier/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  West Midlands28 November 2017
Hours were long and tiring it would be a Peter job for a single person but not a person with a family. The pay wasn't to good and it wasn't very organised at times.
Yodel
Yodel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Farnborough13 November 2017
I used to work in Yodel for 5 months and I made some good friendships with people who are working there since the beginning of the company so I think I will be able to make a good review.

A typical day at work
Your day as a Yodel Driver begins early in the morning - you always have to be there on time. Every driver has cages with his parcels in there. Your job is to load your van with all the parcels you have. It depends on you how fast you will get out of the depot. You have to care for your parcels as you are the one who paid for them because sometimes you are loading really expensive items. Yodel provides you a HHT scanner which plans your route for the day and makes the whole process a lot easier. You are delivering the parcels with the help of the scanner as well. When you finish you have to get back to the depot.

What you learned
Always being on time - you always have to be in the time window because customers are expecting their parcels. I improved my communication skills a lot simply because you have to enter into a dialogue with the customers. I learned to be more patient because not all of the customers are young - sometimes there are old people who needs assistance especially when the parcels are heavy.
Pros
Good salary
Poor pay
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire/ wakefield10 November 2017
I have worked for this company a few times and still things haven't changed for the better.
There's a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle, a lot of messing about with parcels and paperwork. The handheld devices are poor quality and training is quite long winded for what you are actually doing.
Payments for work take 4 weeks then you are paid every two weeks after that. sometimes you just don't get paid!! Its definitely a thankless job.
The company even gave out my wife's personal number to customers who hadn't received parcels as she was down as an emergency contact for myself and HR had messed up all my details on their system
Pros
self employed
Cons
self employed/ poor payments/ time consuming
enjoyable work place
Sorter/Loader (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex8 November 2017
good team work
always hard working to get things done on time would love to join the teem again reason for leaving temp work would love a contract with yodle
Pros
free lunches
Normal
5 años en el entrajero de repartidor (Former Employee) –  Londres8 November 2017
Medio bien much as horas en el trabajo i keria darte de Alta a tiempo parcial
Pros
Mucho trabajo
Cons
Sueldo bajo
Bad
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent2 November 2017
Short changed it must loyal employees from dhl and forced to much work on the good workers and if face does not fit they hound u out of a job and if u stand up u get labelled
Bad
Way below minimum wage.
Self Employed Neighbourhood Courier. (Current Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire25 October 2017
If you want to earn around £5 an hour BEFORE you deduct your petrol/diesel and travelling expenses then maybe this is the job for you.
In your own unpaid time you are expected to plan your route for the day (which takes maybe half an hour) after printing off maps and lists of streets for your area. You can pay for a route planner for your mobile phone (unless you can find a free one) if you want to do it that way.
Large sacks of parcels are delivered to you between 9am and 11am (I have received some at 2.30pm), some very heavy to lift. Again in your own unpaid time you are expected to lug them into your house, count them (varies around 30 to 70 parcels), record the number on your HHT, scan each individual parcel, sort them into route order and load them into your car. Maybe takes about 45 minutes.
Many of the parcels are microwave sized or bigger and it is difficult to fit them all inside an estate car. Sometimes you have to load the car for one area, deliver them then come back home and reload for the next area.
I was paid 70p per parcel delivered. If the recipient or neighbours weren’t in you don’t get paid. You are expected to try on 3 consecutive days none of which you will be paid for unless it is delivered.
The HHT and software crashes at least once or twice a day and takes about 5 minutes to reboot and reload (sometimes in front of a customer) which is somewhat embarrassing.
Yodel gives your mobile number to customers who you must be in contact with between 9am and 9pm six days a week.
Having lived in my area for 30 years I know every short cut and it is impossible
  more... to deliver the parcels any quicker and it still works out at about £5 an hour.
Paying a flat rate of 70p to every courier does not take in to account that some post code areas are more difficult than others. I had to take two post code areas to make the numbers up both of which are time consuming routes. Some post code areas are easier and quicker and the couriers may be happy with 70p per parcel. Yodel should monitor each area and pay a rate which is equal to minimum wage for each area.
Pros
Fitting the work in between 9am and 9pm
Cons
Way below minimum wage, Self employed have no holiday pay sick pay bank holiday pay pension rights etc. etc, Have to do your own tax returns, Working in all weathers, Pay for all your petrol or diesel, Wear and tear of your car
Yodel review
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  whalton summit lancashire22 October 2017
I had to turn up to the warehouse on time.
I then sorted parcels and planned a route for the day.
I had to safely maneuver a large wheelbase van.
I learned the geography of the area.
The hardest part of the job was reversing safely.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the delivery of said parcels
Pros
gained driving experience
Cons
very stressful
Flexible easy work
Self Employed Courier (Current Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall19 October 2017
I've worked for Yodel for almost 18 months and have to admit it took 6 months before I started to enjoy the job. The key is getting the right area for you and knowing your route. After fuel I generally earn around £12/hr delivering 13-15 parcels per hour. Suits me very well with primary school aged children. Can see myself doing this full time even after the kids are old enough to look after themselves.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Wear and tear on car, some parcels quite far off route even in same postal code.
No work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire17 October 2017
Expect to work 6 days a week as standard, 7 for the six weeks of Christmas.

You’ll average a minimum of 60 hours a week.

Most of the team are nice, you always get one or two rotten apples, who ruin the overall feel.

Has the potential to be so much more than it is.
Pros
Cons
Hours, treatment of staff by senior management
Incompetent
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire10 October 2017
Nice staff and management but in my eyes they are incompetent and unable to manage warehouse. Shortage of vans and equipment and sometimes a shortage of staff. Management are friendly but I say it again incompetent (pass the blame) not me it should be her not me it’s my dogs job, Needs a big review Long hours are expected and the pay is not the best.
Pros
Chilled out and friendly
Cons
Long hours expected and unorganised warehouse
no work life balance
Service Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnborough9 October 2017
long hours starting early.

To ensure that all FTE 3PL contractors and driver are available,

and ensure that all customer expectations and agreed SLA re met and achieved
Pros
n/a
Cons
long shifts but great staff
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester8 October 2017
very relaxed place to work, busy shifts but good managers and friendly colleagues, miss so many of the people i worked with, decent job security, but very few benefits.
Pros
good staff
Cons
minimum wage
delivery driver
Multi Drop Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Middleton4 October 2017
its a good job delivering multiple parcel's throughout the uk.... in a Mercedes sprinter van getting to know customers an travel directions working Saturday shift
Pros
meet new faces
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yodel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9