William Hill Employee Reviews

Enter at your own risk
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Stafford15 October 2017
To cut a long story short, do not work here. You will be expected to be able to open and close a shop by yourself within your first 12 weeks, during which you will go on courses where you learn all about compliance and nothing about betting or the product we supposedly offer. You will single man in most shops of a night time (safe I know) and then be expected to turn back up 10 hours later for your next shift. Management tell the staff different things to keep them pleased, but ultimately end up letting you down anyway. Pay is just above minimum wage, the most a shop manager can make is about £16,500 a year, after that you'll have to apply for upper management, where you have to wait for the current area managers to have a mental break so you can take their place. It's not a pleasant work environment, the hours are awful and you are treated terribly by staff and customers alike. Stay away!
Pros
Petrol expenses paid (unless based in shop)
Cons
Everything else
No work life balance
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Southport15 October 2017
Under appreciated by both staff and customers. Zero work/life balance, terrible pay for deputy managers, no incentives. Toxic environment to work in day to day. Not even allowed to watch sporting events such as football, crazy considering it would allow staff to be better informed. William Hill only care about their shareholders and have no interest in the happiness or turnover of staff.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Long hours, bad environment
Shocking place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  England13 October 2017
To cut a long story short, avoid William hill. When people give a bad review, they aren't lying! I've had so much hassle regarding my last pay. Hundreds of pounds short and apparently I've been overpaid, which I am unaware of.
Pros
Cons
Management dont have a clue whay they are doing. Dont get paid correctly. Rubbish hours.
Quite but Productive
Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  Kent9 October 2017
Taking and translating bets, cash handling, stocktake, diffusing tense situations, cleaning and upholding brilliant customer service.

Considering i had never walked into a betting shop before, i grasped the way it worked really quick. And found it got easier as time went on.
Pros
Team Events, Good People
Cons
Low Pay
Awful, disturbing environment with 0 management
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 October 2017
It starts off nicely and it lasts enough for you to get through all the induction courses, followed by everyone showing their true faces.
Disturbing environment where you're expected to step on your own self esteem, self respect, and all the principles you may have in order to keep customers pleased. Even complying with the rules can be held against you by the Area Manager when you tell them it's made a customer go insane and putting you in a nasty position.
BPMs good for nothing, barely see them, haven't seen Area Manager once in 1 year of being with Hills, worked in 5 different shops, never even seen the man's face.
They'll expect you to give them your everything and when you'll need a favor this one time they'll pretend they've heard nothing, but as soon as you turn them down once, everyone's gonna be onto you, threatening that they'll start investigations on you and all kinda nasty stuff. Whatever makes their life easier. Power given to all the wrong people, that's what I'd describe Hills as.
Not to mention they'll cut off from every corner when you finally do leave. They'll come up with made-up shortage on hours, they'll make it look like you owe them holiday even though it may be the case of them owing you holiday, they'll take everything from you.
Not worth it. At all. Nothing is worth it in Hills. No support whatsoever from upper management, definitely not enough money, no work/life balance, nothing. A joke of a company.
Pros
Cons
Management, long hours, low pay, toxic environment
Average
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Central London5 October 2017
The company Could improve very much on salary and work ethics. The long hours work should been reduced as only one hour break for a shift of 13 hours.
Pros
Free travel card
Cons
Long hours less pay
Decent place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 October 2017
Enjoyed my time at William Hill. Salary and advancement are poorer parts of the job. Great for people who like to talk to customers. I love talking with the customers every day.
Not what i expected
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 October 2017
A typical day at work would be sitting behind the counter serving customers, or recievng abuse from customers. I worked in a busy shop so rarely took an hours break that Im entitled to.
Pros
Paid day of on your birthday, discounts on products
Cons
Wage, mangenent
Not for everyone
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire2 October 2017
Ive worked for William Hill for 6 months. The job its self is very fast pace and can at times be great fun. I feel theres alot of pressure on employees with lone working alot of late finishes and weekend shifts are a little tedious as shops can get very busy and you are working long hours. If you dont have young children this job would be well suited to you. Ive made great connections through this job and the staff i work.with are great. Just be warned long shifts and unsociable hours may not suit everyone.
Pros
Tea and Coffee when ever you want
Cons
Long hours weekend shifts
Fast paced environment
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2017
Working in central london William Hill was a very demanding jobs. The shop consisted of high staking customers, placing last minute meaning you would need to be on your toes at all times.
Fun, fast moving and innovative
Release Analyst (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire24 September 2017
Fun, fast moving and innovative company to work for.

The company has undergone change and transition to transform itself and its products in order to compete more effectively with its competitors
Pros
location, good people
Cons
some of the benefits and perks are not great
stressfull
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manvers24 September 2017
Need more in depth training for staff need to work round school hours for parents that struggle to work full time need to support staff more with difficultys
Cons
Unsatisfying and a little depressing
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 September 2017
For the first couple weeks of starting the job I enjoyed learning new skills and interacting with customers. But as time went on unfortunately I grew more and more dissatisfied with my working environment and hierarchy. I feel like not only myself but my fellow employees were not treated well or looked after by our superiors. Also at the turn of the year job titles and salaries were changed which affected allot of people in the company and the employees effected I feel were dealt with very badly. A lot of things which I have experienced whilst working for this company has made me loose faith in not only them but my own progressive future with them. However I am very happy I've had had the experience of working for William Hill because I have met some amazing people through it and life long friends. One of the only reason I've stayed at this company for so long is cause of the people I've worked with which makes shifts so much more fun and easier to get through.
Pros
You form bonds with fellow employees and get trained well for the job roles
Cons
constant structure change, no stability and bad work social life balance
Worst company ever to work for.
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 September 2017
Long hours by yourself.
Deal with very angry customers who can become agessive (I was spat at)
No work life balance
Very limited help from people above you and sometimes your shop team
Pros
Cons
Long hours, dealing with large amounts of money, aggressive customers. Near enough minimum wage
Worst company ive ever worked for.
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire12 September 2017
Worst company ive ever worked for. No safety for staff. Long work hours. Not always get breaks. Abuse from customers which managers are not bothered about and dont follow it up.
Good to work for
Customer Experience Assistant (Current Employee) –  Runcorn, Cheshire7 September 2017
Great shop teams to work with great atmosphere for customer service, and a fun place for banter and building on experience in retail. Can be called in last minute though on days off etc, which is not often but still happens like in any job.
Pros
Good shop teams, good training scheme
Cons
Can have long days, late night closing at 9-10pm
Manager (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire4 September 2017
little to no work/life balance with long hours and late finishes
Not good for people with children
Employees are vicious
No acknowledgment for doing well
But secure job and not terribly paid
Very easy
Possible progression, not enough hours
Customer Service Advisor (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 September 2017
Could easily move up in progression but minimum wage and 25 hours a week considered as full time is bad.

Manager I had was very nice and helpful always, could book off most planned events I had.
Pros
progression and easy enough job
Cons
not enough hours and poor pay
Awful job
CEM (Current Employee) –  Tayside Region30 August 2017
Long hours, under staffed, no praise, lone working at night....the list goes on and on. I have worked for the company for 7 and a half years and am now a CEM (shop manager) and have seen the job get from bad to worse in this time. Longer opening hours and being made to lone work (mentioned above) also the bonus offered has shrunk massively so there is little incentive for you to make an effort. They have also cut the training time for new starts in half so you will be expected to be able to open and close a shop within 3 months and trust me for many folk that is nowhere near enough. Staff turnover has become a massive problem due to all of the above and morale is horrific! Stop being such a stingey, greedy company and start looking after the staff you have before you are left with nothing but new starts
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Long hours, badly paid, poor bonuses, often abusive customers and many more sadly
Terrible Company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow30 August 2017
I was a student when i worked here and i can say that in my short 3 months i had no form of social life what so ever. I was contracted to 16 hours per week and sometimes i worked 40+ and sometimes 35 hours a week when i was in uni 5 days a week. If you ask for holidays then you better put in for them a year in advance. I requested a weekend off to attend a family wedding, got told that that was fine only to find out the week before i had been penciled in to work that whole weekend. Brought the situation up with my manager and was told that another member of staff got it because they had been there longer than me. I worked every single weekend my whole employment there sometimes 8am-10pm with an hour break and on many occasions left to man the scope alone with no training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at William Hill. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4