WHSmith Employee Reviews

Not Good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London / Gatwick Airport18 November 2017
They wont pay you enough, and the breaks are terrible. My shift runner and colleagues were amazing, but you probably wouldn't enjoy this job nonetheless, due to pay and rude management, such a shame, could be better :(
Pros
Interesting days working at an airport, there are friendly people that work here
Cons
Its an extremely boring job, and not good pay
Worst Job I've ever had
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire15 November 2017
I worked at the York Train Station branch for a year or so, the team leader was vile to all the staff and you were often given shifts at the last minute without even being asked. Also it would take months of asking the manager before you could have a holiday approved and there was a big mix of early starts (5.30 am) and late finishes (9pm). The job itself was very repetitive and mundane and you were never thanked for what you'd done. You would also only be given a 20 minute break when working 8 hour shifts which is ridiculous compared to other retail companies I've worked for.
Ever more Challenging, with little prospect of progression.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland15 November 2017
A great many good people work within this business. Sadly this is in decline, whilst they talk the talk when it comes to work life balance, that is not reflected in practice.

They will take and will not give back, local management are having their hands tied by those above and are relied upon even more to get the job done...without pay.

Overall, its "Not Bad" But its not great and its getting worse.
Pros
Cons
Above regional level managment.
Hardworking and eye-opening
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Croydon14 November 2017
WHSmith is a good stepping stone to find your feet in the workplace. It's a place that shows you the real world with real people. If you're nervous about public speaking, like I was when I first started, WHSmith eases you into it.
Dull
Sales assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brecon, Powys14 November 2017
In some ways it could be fairly stressful but mostly it was dull. It was a simple job to do but the atmosphere in smiths is not the most pleasant place to work and having to push sales was not something i enjoyed. However the staff were nice and it was nice selling the newspaper to the regulars
Pros
discount
Cons
3 hour contract so had to work every satuday
High maintenance and enjoyable retail workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex12 November 2017
I enjoy my current position which includes maintaining the children's books and dealing with customer enquiries. This part of my job has boosted my confidence and my social skills, which I can now apply to my future career. I am able to answer customer enquiries face to face and over the phone, which means I must be polite and job-focused.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Billericay, Essex12 November 2017
I have learnt a lot from WHSmith, such as, what it means to be a team member, how to open and close a shop, cash management, safe recs, dealing with customers, doing customer orders, putting through DHL deliveries, having a good phone manner, filing paperwork, counting the till, dealing with news deliveries and returns, scanning in stock deliveries and doing phone conferences.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers but you soon learn how to deal with that.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the regular customers everyday and having a chat with them.
Pros
Becoming friends with regular customers
Cons
Bad hourly pay
The workplace is o.k. for what it is
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Romsey12 November 2017
A good team based company , the pay a bit low for what we give to customers in service. A fun place to work at times , could do with more hours ,shop a bit dated needs a refit.
Enjoyable time at WHSMITHS
SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Slough7 November 2017
I enjoyed my 2 years at WHSMITHS. It is a dynamic and youthful company and a diverse range of people to work with. I gained good SAP skills at Whsmiths.
Slow work not a lot of work to do
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Didcot7 November 2017
Working for this company showed me retail is not for me it was a good experience but if you like being on your feet all day i do not recommend it. Also not alot of job opportunities are offered here
Pros
two breaks
Cons
Slow going workplace
Great first job.
Music Sales (Former Employee) –  Watford7 November 2017
This was my first full time employment and I enjoyed working in the store. I learned how to deal with customers with many queries etc. I also had my first taste of selling, particularly the high valued pens.
Easy job but boring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire5 November 2017
Management were okay and customers tolerable but every single day was the same and there was never anything new or interesting to do. Often made to do hours without asking if you can, low wage and very poor quality of training, i worked there for over a year and still never received full training
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring, repetitive, barely any training
WHSmith
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Barking, Greater London27 October 2017
Not really flexible hours, the pay wasn't the best but the normal wages, that aside I have met rally nice people that made the time I have worked there more enjoyable.
Testing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff25 October 2017
Great enviroment to work with and amazing work colleagues. A very busy airport was a great place to learn how to dealw ith all sorts of circumstances and problems.
Pros
Great Learning Curve
Cons
Work Times
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington23 October 2017
Fun place to work . Good team members alot of hard work involved but it wouldn't be a job without hard work. Friendly environment. Good management....
Its a job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dorchester22 October 2017
Its minimum wage with usually only 16 hour contracts, with overtime when needed. You will need to be a quick learner and hard working to be apart of the W H Smiths team.
Whamith
WHSmith customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth22 October 2017
Busy retail, always get customers in and out, had to do stock and serve many customers and give them advice and similar products, be respectful and theirs always a job for you to do
Very productive and rewarding
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire21 October 2017
Night work sorting packing and distribution of magazines and newspapers. Usual work was 6nights 50 hrs. Was assistent night manager the last 3 year's which was interesting
Pros
Good company to work for
Productice Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk18 October 2017
This was my very first part time job so I enjoyed learning new skills within the retail industry which my helpful managers helped me to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public each day and becoming more confident in talking to customers which helped me in my next jobs.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers although I was provided training on how to deal with these situations.

A typical day at work was working on the tills and on the floor re-stocking shelves etc. and keeping the shop tidy and customers happy.
Pros
Discount and work life balance.
Cons
Not able to progress
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, North Yorkshire18 October 2017
While working at WHSmith I have learnt that working in retail is really fun but hard working, you need to on task at all times. I work weekends so on a Saturday it can be quiet busy but then the day goes faster, its amazing how you connect with regular customers and its more like they are your friend than a customer.
Pros
discount

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WHSmith. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8