Westminster City Council Employee Reviews

A very good organisation to work with.
Assistant Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London20 July 2017
I enjoyed the work/life balance and the job culture. Management is great and there is scope for improvement on job security and progession. Salary and benefits are fine and I rate the council ALL Star.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Job security and advancement can be improved
Really fun
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare4 April 2017
Absolutely loved the colleagues here they were all lovely, well presented and a great team to get on with. Challenging Call Centre, but with such lovely management and staff it ran smoothly
Low leasehold payers
Service charges (Former Employee) –  City Hall20 February 2017
They pay very low for leasehold jobs, only rents are paid less. This is strange because the two teams are their bread winners. Paying loads of money to consultants on how to save them money.

Apart from getting peanuts, there are points which you might consider positives such as the staff are nice and wild Xmas parties.
Pros
Good central location
Cons
Low wages
Made to pay employers NI and no payrise in 3 years!
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  London27 January 2017
Made to pay employers NI by the agency as they as the council abused a well known loop-hole.

Not a single pence payrise in 3 years and kept on a 3 month rolling contract with no training, no opportunity for advancement, no pension, no benefits, no sick pay, no nothing!

Terrible!
Pros
ability to work remotely
Cons
no progression or benefits for agency staff.
Westminster
Records Management Officer (Former Employee) –  London17 August 2016
Generally a good organisation to work for and salary/benefits are good. Changes can be tiresome following changes of senior officers following elections but this is to be expected.
Pros
Good extra-curricular benefits, I.E. reduced gym fees
Cons
Constantly changing targets
Fun workplace
Customer service adviser (Former Employee) –  Victoria19 May 2016
As far as I can remember, it was a good, fun place to work. The office was always bustling with activities whch made it an enjoyable place to work
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Far to commute
Exactly as expected
Procurement Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Westminster City Hall10 May 2016
Every person I encountered was friendly. When I started I was given plenty of assistance and help. In my time there I had made many acquiatances and the work was done efficiently but slowly due to the nature of the sector and increasing amount of regulatioons.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
The elevators
Focussed and Intelligent organisation
Recruitment Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  London2 May 2016
Great place to work - so much freedom to design and deliver things as you see fit - and a real intelligent approach to getting unemployed people back to work
Good but old timers need to be reviewed
Senior Business Analysis and Development Officer (Current Employee) –  London11 January 2016
This is a great place to work, good people but there are some old habits which haven't gone yet and need to go. No perks in terms of career advancement, you have to move on for that.
On the plus side this is a safe secure job, the look after you in terms of annual leave and a decent salary. Flexible working depends on job/manager.
Pros
Nice location at RBKC
Cons
No advancement
Ok Culture, so so infrastructure
Procurement Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 October 2015
IT infrastracture and components were antiquated and inadequate. Some good people by industry stds, not overtly exciting.
Challenging but satisfying place to work
Westminster Warden - Street Management (Former Employee) –  Irving Street Central London6 June 2015
My typical day would be me going out on foot patrol to combat Illegal Street Trading, Abandon Waste, Illegal Advertising, to enforce against the relevant acts and to report on any street defects to keep the city a cleaner, safer place to work, live or visit
Pros
Flexible hours, trael loan
Cons
Shift Work
Excellent high achieving place to work
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, ENG27 April 2015
Work focus taken seriously.
Excellent management with open door policy
Continuous development and training.
Excellent professionalism throughout organisation.
No part of job was hard so long as you are competent.
Friendly and conducive environment to work in.
Recreational activities subsidised
Pros
subsidised canteen excellent reward schemes
Cons
n/a
Very interesting, people-focussed, work
Finance and Data Officer (Former Employee) –  Victoria Street, London SW23 February 2015
Payment of invoices claimed upon the Authority by other Local Authorities for the education of pupils with Special Needs. Issuing invoices to outside suppliers for services provided by the Education Authority. Update of databases with information relating to pupils' education within and outside the Authority.

Setting up databases and spreadsheets to collate data and information

Organisation of data archival - both paper- and information-based.

Management operated a 'hands off' approach, allowing staff to undertake their tasks as required

Very pleasant co-workers, who would always be open to new ideas

The hardest part of the job was obtaining information from cross-departmental sources

The most enjoyable part of the job was finalising a project on time and complete. Balancing accounts based on information from intra-departmental sources was always very satisfying
Pros
Subsidised Canteen and Sports Facilities
Cons
Commercial and value for money focussed local authority
Head of Financial Management & Control (Former Employee) –  London10 February 2015
A very commercial, value for money focussed local authority with significant focus on achieving savings agenda (£100M over 3 years). My role was one of supporting this as well as ensuring statutory compliance and best practice financial controls.
Great people but overall management structure was generally chopped and changed frequently so staff couldnt settle.
GENERAL ENQUIRIE'S ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Liverpool22 January 2015
N/a
Senior Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London3 December 2014
My Co-workers

I particularly enjoy coming to work due to the friendly nature of the office environment. For instance, my line manager once baked a big chocolate cake to celebrate my birthday. I really felt special and wanted.

The most enjoyable part of my Job

This is when I come up with suggestions about how to improve the service we provide. The fact that my manager encourage us to come forward is gratifying.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2014
- No two days were ever the same
- I learnt how to manage people
- Opportunity to be creative and use ones initiative
- Enjoyed the decision making process and seeing projects come to fruition
- Enjoyed being a part of a team and working towards the greater good of young people and impacting on their lives
- Hardest part was there was never enough hours in a day
- Most enjoyable part of the job was working directly with young people
Pros
Having autonomy
Incredible learning experience
Communications and Strategy (Current Employee) –  Westminster10 September 2014
Excellent work environment and community engagement.

Very intelligent staff members that are willing to offer support when needed.
Data Entry/ Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, ENG29 August 2014
I worked with the records management at Westminster city council, my job role involved been able to use my skills and knowledge with Microsoft office (excel) to store down information and data given to me to be recorded. This job involved some administrative roles where I had to answer phones calls and direct potential clients to the manager
Interesting, fascinating role
Special Events and Filming Officer (Current Employee) –  Westminster, ENG25 August 2014
Every day is different, with applications from summer fetes to London's biggest events.
The role is a rolling temporary contract and as such i am look for something more permanent.