WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Very rewarding job
Gardener (Former Employee) –  LeamingtonSpa23 October 2017
General maintenance of gardens to a very high standard, team work meant all pulling in the right direction, excellent manager all ways willing to help, great group of staff, trying to get all the work in done time, looking at the finished work and praise from the public.
Pros
Free plants through the year.
Cons
Very long hours in the summer months.
Challenging and rewarding
Foster Carer (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire19 October 2017
Like most companies, it has its ups and downs. If your job is more important than the company you work for then it's not an issue. Job security seems to be its greatest asset.
Varied and challenging role
Programme Administrator (part time) (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire2 October 2017
I supported a new Learning Management Service and enjoyed working as part of a busy administrative team. Every day brought variety and an opportunity to support others with their learning journeys.
Pros
Open office environment
satisfying
Assistant Nursery Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rugby1 October 2017
good to work and feel productive and satisfied with the job
fair and easy to communicate with if any problems
always approachable
enjoyed working in a school and being with the children
Very busy quiet heads down ethos
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warwick21 September 2017
Naff management does not support new staff with personal problems very well very autocratic work you to the bone every second pay isnt great

Long term staff unwelcoming and unfriendly
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Autocratic
Very Flexible
Pensions Officer - Membership Team (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire7 September 2017
This is a good place to work. Flexible hours, parking available, multiple locations, job security, good pension options, good work life balance and much more.
Role
Personnel & Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire5 September 2017
I am a dedicated, conscientious and efficient worker with a flexible outgoing manner. Hard working, reliable and able to communicate at all levels. I also have the ability to work as part of a team or individually. I am adaptable and willing to take on new challenges to succeed in my career.
Small office
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby31 August 2017
Very busy place to work. Could be demanding at times. Most of the workforce were enjoyable to work with, but some not so good. Pay was better than other companies and hours were very flexible.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Could get very busy
Great flexible working culture, supportive colleagues, excellent training
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire9 August 2017
(I work full-time on a 'Modern Flexible Working contract - https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/modernandflexible - typically this is 8ish until 4ish Mon-Fri)

Warwickshire County Council (often shortened to WCC) invests heavily in their employees, I for one have the opportunity to undertake a funded CIPD course which many private organisations wouldn't (in my experience). They recognise investment in developing staff to benefit the people of Warwickshire, which is a lovely motivation and you feel a huge sense of community and support amongst colleagues. They have a broad programme of face to face and e-learning training for their staff (with sessions outside of the normal included, such as mindfulness).

The salaries are not necessarily competitive (but sometimes are) in comparison to private sector, however their flexible working culture is exceptional in my eyes. My role allows for regular home working each week, autonomy on start/finish/break times, use of Google for email/communication (which makes collaborative working really easy when working remotely) but above all, I've not yet experienced any judgement when you start or leave at non-traditional times. The collateral lifestyle benefits and well supported work-life balance motivates me to work diligently and productively in the time I am there, I'll often do bits of work outside of 'traditional' hours because I've had the chance to take breaks during the day to achieve personal needs. For example, I am training to run in a half marathon, and am able to run during the day at a time that suits me. More than money, it's
  more... this that truly makes me enjoy my work even in tough climates of resource challenges. This, along with the training opportunities, makes WCC one of the best places I have ever worked.

There are many employees with extremely long tenure (10+ years) who, in majority, have undertaken a wide variety of roles, demonstrating to me that progression and development are high on WCC's priorities. Whatever your profession, be it admin, customer service, IT, engineering, project management, and at any seniority level, you can find opportunities to work in Social Care, Transport and Economy, HR, Finance, even Fire and Rescue - the beauty of working for a local authority is the diversity of the areas within which you can work.

In Warwick they have several buildings, one has very recently had a modern canteen built which serves well-priced handmade food (I often see them making the quiches in the morning whenever I am over there) and the staff are absolutely lovely.

Car parking can always be contentious wherever you work, but of everywhere I've worked, WCC provides the most extensive. They have a multi-storey under the Barrack Street office and an extensive car park at Cape Road. This is all free providing you have a parking permit to display (I got mine on my first day). Get to Barrack Street before 8 for a space, at Cape Road you could push it to 8:45am. There is a car sharing 'deck 'to Barrack Street multi-storey that allows anyone to park there (who isn't car sharing) after 10am if there are still free spaces (which there often is)

The worst park about working at WCC? We have to constantly monitor where we can make savings which can cause a stretch in resource, but it certainly teaches you how to be frugal, and everyone is keen to take care of each other when workloads are high. They operate a staff care service, free to their employees. Plus, as this is not a new concept for local authorities to manage, they are well experienced and equipped to deal with it. If ever you're going to face money challenges and the impact of that, the culture at WCC is the one to do it in.
Pros
Modern flexible working, supportive colleagues and managers, training opportunities
Great environment to be in!
Senior Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire12 July 2017
Really enjoy the job culture of working within this county council. The people in the job are amazing people to be around and people are always on the move and doing something.
Productive and Supportive
Apprentice Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire10 July 2017
Everyone is so supportive and help you in any way possible.
You are taught how to balance everything properly and efficiently.
No work is expected of you out of working hours.
Good place to work for
Reablement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire2 July 2017
Great place to work for they invest a lot in training and personal development, you also get the chance to progress, good management and they will try and help out to suit your hours.
Nice Place to Work
Temporary Job (Former Employee) –  Ansell Way Warwick24 April 2017
I only worked for Warwickshire County Council for 2 months on a temporary position but it was a nice place place to work.

Everyone was very friendly.
Pros
Support
Cons
Hot desking
Fun workplace can be stressful at times due to the nature of the job
Adults safeguarding social worker (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire10 April 2017
Typical day at work
Check emails
Prioritise anything urgent answer these
Check diary
Make appropriate telephone calls
Write case notes
Make appointments
May have one to two visits to service users
Pros
Pension scheme, free lunches on training good occupational health and leave
Cons
Commute for me
Personally Rewarding
Reablement Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire4 April 2017
My day starts at either 7 am or 4 pm I assist elderly people who have generally just come out of hospital after operations, falls, or strokes I assist them to regain their independence within their own home.
The hardest part of my job is the travelling over the whole of South Warwickshire as I work in the community which is spread over 700 sq miles, but not in the same day.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing that with our assistance that a lot of our service users regain their independence which means them staying in their own home.
Pros
Working patterns
Cons
Driving
Good workplace
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire2 March 2017
Worked for them for 12 years
Good company with benefits
Fair work ethic
Ongoing training
Always available for back up with any concerns
They do all the trading and have regular meetings with school.
Pros
Uniform and lunch provided
Cons
Tight legislation
Same as any government run department!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arley, Warwickshire10 January 2017
Working in education is frustrating, demoralising and exhausting. The endless pressure from governments and ofsted make this a thoroughly demanding and demoralising career despite many people striving to do their utmost for pupils in their care.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Long hours and unnecessary paperwork
Fun and Challenging working in a Warwickshire school
Class Teacher (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire3 January 2017
Fantastic co-workers and management, amazing children and parents. A frightening lack of money for resources and school development though, a real shock after working in other counties and a real discrepancy between schools within the county.
Pros
Fantastic people.
Cons
Complete lack of funding. Ridiculous expectations and pressures on the profession nationally.
Ever changing environment, which offers opportunities for personal grown
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire13 November 2016
Excellent organisation to work for.
Attend a number of meeting to plan and agree integration with health for our service.
Good working relationships and wealth of experience and knowledge to draw from.
Hardest part if trying to balance the day to day running of the service whilst attending a plethora of meetings, however this is manageable.
The most enjoyable part of my role is seeing new staff start with my service and progress their way through.
Also to see the fantastic difference we make to customers lives. We assist customers when they first come of our hospital with daily living skills and work with the customer to regain tasks to keep them independent. We currently have a 70%success rate for customers not requiring on-going social care support after a programme with reablement. Also a success rate of around 90% for customers only requiring a reduced on-going package of care.
Pros
Opportunity for carer progression
Fun
Pertemps Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa5 August 2016
Fun and productive work place. Career progression was not possible due to temporary postilion. Very good training. Friendly and approachable staff.