Waitrose Employee Reviews

Treated like a slave
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath, West Sussex19 November 2017
Waitrose hark on about how well they treat their staff, and how great the benefits are, reality is that the new "modern" Waitrose, is soul destroying and stressful. I was stretched to 3 areas in the store on a minimum wage, and was refused a payrise after making minor mistakes in the first 3 months, one of them being absent because of stress after being bullied.

I was constantly trying to talk to useless managers, who clearly couldn't do their job properly, fustrating to say the least. I was rarely acknowledged for the job I could do, and always had the finger pointed at when I messed up. Our store is currently severely under staffed for the Christmas period, with people leaving left, right and centre. Good luck to them...
Pros
You can leave
Cons
Inexperienced Managers, stupid hours, bad pay
Great place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barry17 November 2017
It was a great place to work, very clean and tidey.
Staff were helpful and friendly. Happy to help and keep your safe.
evrything was in it place. prices were marked very clear
Pros
Food all day
Social and stimulating place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hersham16 November 2017
Different daily challenges to conquer, always keeps you on you toes. Fun and challenging work environment. Problem with being a large store is the channels of communication. Could do with some improvement.
Pros
reduced lunches
Cons
poor communication
Fun Workplace
Supervisor - Part Time (Former Employee) –  London16 November 2017
Amazing place to wotk while in education as they are very flexible and push you for your studies aswel. The managment really take care of you and working conditions are first class.
Pros
Amazing Lunches
Cons
Can get really busy
Productive and Friendly
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire14 November 2017
I worked at the deli counter, and the team were really friendly. You hardly find yourself at a loss for things to do. I loved working on the deli counter.
Not to be considered long term
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxted, Surrey14 November 2017
Under staffed and over worked. You've probably heard that before.
Hours are used sparingly, so management require you to fulfill more than your standard job role.
Unsocial hours, either early mornings, late nights, weekends, bank holidays.
The annual bonus is just that, a bonus. You could probably earn your 'bonus' at a different place of work through basic pay, some years you could get £1000, but divided across the year is under £90 a month, see where I'm going with this?
Job security is good, however, advancement is not. If you suck up to the right people, you'll be recognised. If you keep your head down and do a good job, no one bats an eye.
Ideal for students or after something part time, maybe as a parent to work around school hours.
Pros
Bonus, subsidised dining room, discount
Cons
Unsocial hours, low advancement
Staff are friendly
Retail Partner (Current Employee) –  South Wales13 November 2017
Expected to work above and beyond your salaried hours.Hours can be long with late nights and early starts.Many partners don’t get the 11 hour breaks required.Management look after themselves and are only interested in making money.
Company is bringing in management that have no retail experience so train them to do the job the Waitrose way.Company says it is going forward but new Waitrose ways have been around for many years within other retailers
Pros
Benefits whilst they last
Cons
Expected to work Too many unpaid hours
Good Working Enviorment
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell13 November 2017
I left Waitrose to start a new career at BMW as I had previously worked for them in the past

Left on good terms and Waitrose is a fine company to work for
Pros
Good Place to work
Cons
A fantastic place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands9 November 2017
Waitrose is going through a revolutionary structure change. All Partners are expected to be multi talented and work in all departments. Some Partners are not very cooperative because they are set in their ways and will not change. Many are used to just sitting at a checkout for the entirety of their shift and are too idle to get up off their backsides to do some proper work. They will use any excuse to avoid certain areas. Some even feigned diarrhoea and food poisoning in order to avoid working on the meat and fish counter. The reverse situation also applies. Many Partners think it is beneath them to work on the checkouts, and some of them have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the shop floor to help on checkouts at busy times. Management is too lax. Partners routinely turn up five minutes late for their shift and think they have done nothing wrong, but they moan if they finish five minutes late. Modern Waitrose is doomed to fail unless they weed out the lazy Partners. I love working for Waitrose, and I love my customers. I try to be a role model Partner in the hope that some of my conscientious work ethic rubs off on other Partners.
Pros
Excellent discounts, I am trusted by management to do my job unsupervised
Cons
Too many lazy Partners who wil not work hard
Shelf Stocker (Current Employee) –  Morningside7 November 2017
Good colleagues to work with, busy shop, have to get job nearer home as fiancé going blind,learned all about shelf replenishment management great support
Pros
Plenty tasting of new foods
Cons
Long hours 2100-0745
Busy fast paced environment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, Monmouthshire7 November 2017
Serving Customers, filling shelves, racking away the warehouse, goods receiving and inputting, price changes and point of sale. You need to be hard working and strong to deal with customer complaints.
Pros
Subsidised dining room, bonus, staff discount, discounts at lots of places
Cons
shift work
Well established supermarket
Part time Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2017
Waitrose was a quality place to work for where you can gain a lot of experiences and progress onto managements schemes if you want t make a career of it.
a friendly and welcoming workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire3 November 2017
I learned a lot about how businesses work and what happens behind the scenes. My manager looks after me well, always tries to accommodate to my personal needs. my typical day involves reducing products with short dates on them and answering calls to customers. the most enjoyable thing is interacting with other customers and partners and the hardest apart is the strict contract when it comes to number of hours.
Pros
treat partners very well
Cons
a lot of hours
Amazing place to learn and grow
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London3 November 2017
You job experience at Waitrose will be like any other. Everything is done to keep you in the higher loop, meetings and update reviews keep you posted on anything changing and you learn to work in a modern diverse society. You get trained so that you understand everything you need to do and annual reviews give you opportunity to get better with their personal development plans.
Nothing special
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 November 2017
You'll end up doing routine job every day, year after year. No promotions, despite all promises. Management isn't helpful, not saying about being professional.
Pros
Partner discount card
Cons
No promotions, hard to book holidays, no planning/strategy, arrogant management
good
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes31 October 2017
Good place of work,still working here at the moment,not enough hours to be honest but still brings some money,i want more ours and more work,overall very good
Great job if your face fits
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent30 October 2017
Enjoyed working here but no career development for older staff. The partnership is a great concept but the implication of modern waitrose is challenging as it dose not take into consideration partners disabilities or their strengths
Pros
Yearly bonus
Cons
No career developmrnt
Work Experience
Retail (Former Employee) –  Ramsgate28 October 2017
I put the salary 1* because it was work experienced.
I've learnt how to stock shelves and communicate with staff members.
The manager was always on time.
good
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth27 October 2017
you have to work in all areas of the store, part of john lewis partnership which is great. subsidised lunches. feels like one big happy family, good partys
Overall a good company to work for
Distribution services co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire27 October 2017
I have enjoyed working for Waitrose and have worked in many roles in the shop and now for distribution. I also enjoy going to meetings where we as partners can be included in decisions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose. Our community is ready to answer.