VisitScotland Employee Reviews

Not fun loving
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 February 2017
Wrong work culture,
The management is more interested on personal issues than the growth of the company.

Slow career development
Not embracing modern work culture

Human resource department controlled by head of departments

Racial and discriminatory
Great colleagues, motivated team
Regional press officer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire27 January 2017
I was fortunate to be part of a great press team, full of enthusiastic, talented and motivated professionals, with a shared goal to promote Scotland as a tourist destination across the globe.
Fun place to work, shame about the hours
Visitor Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen4 June 2016
VisitScotland is a great place to work with decent managemnet and fellow staff members. However, it is really only suitable as a pin money job at VSA level, they don't give you enough hurs to be a full time profession now.
Pros
Central location in town
Cons
Short hours
Great colleagues - poor company culture
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 April 2016
I worked there over various roles for more than 5 years.

+ Excellent opportunities in a diverse company
+ Good brand name to have in your CV
+ Flexible working hours - great for having kids
+ Supportive and friendly colleagues
+ Generous holidays
+ Learning and development opportunities
+ You learn as much as you learnt in school

- You are expected to think by the book, no creativity or flexibility
- Don't expect to be congratulated or appraised for what you do
- Young managers with no personality and poor decision making skills - you will have to apply their poor ideas or plans.
- Loads of conflicts and politics between departments and loads of unjustified tension and frustration within the company.
- If you are good within your role, it is very likely that they will discourage you to apply for other jobs, which is totally crazy!
- At the end of the day, public sector jobs are not known for the effectiveness, efficiency and decision making - and VS is not an exemption.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
underpaid, overworked, poor management and company culture
Learning Curve
International Marketing Manager - Southern Europe (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh11 April 2014
I learned a lot of new skills.
Worked with great professionals
Pros
Good conditions
Cons
Public sector
Exciting and fast paced place to work
Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh4 September 2013
Tipical day: each day is different and presents a challenge, dealing with enquiries B2B and B2C, work on a content management for the website, consumer newsletter, organising events, promotions, competition prize etc

Key learnings: key account management, content management, email marketing, consumer marketing campaigns, event management

Management: unable to recognize my potentials/strengths in order to allow me to develop my career

Hardest: Not being recognised for my skills, achievements and results

Most enjoyable: Dealing with my clients and exceed the results and targets
Pros
Flexible working time
Cons
Poor Management
VisitScotland is an excellent company to work for
Corporate Press Officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT30 July 2013
A typical day at work would involve researching news stories, drafting news releases or other press materials and pitching these stories to News Editors generating positive news coverage for our company.

I've learned a huge amount during my time with VisitScotland including the planning and implementation and evaluation of a huge range of International and UK marketing and PR campaigns, business marketing strategies and PR activities. I have also learned a lot about national and local politics and had the privilege of working on some of Scotland's top tourism campaigns.

The company also assisted me in subsidising a diploma - a Professional Certificate in Marketing and I have completed many CIPR/CIM training courses here over the years . Working in 5 different directorates gave me the opportunity to learn different skills around the business and also meant I could locate myself in different areas of Scotland including Edinburgh, Inverness, Stirling and latterly Dumfries.

VisitScotland also gave me the opportunity to promote Scotland as a travel destination and work abroad in New York, Belgium and Amsterdam as well as London and other areas of the UK including travel trade events and travel/features writer workshops.
Pros
education, benefits and salary
Cons
further job opportunities are only available in Edinburgh

Want to know more about VisitScotland?

Ask a question