Vision Express Employee Reviews

Dynamic workplace with important clinical ramifications
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton30 December 2017
Retail based job but with serious clinical ramifications for customers so a balance between the retail sales aspect of the job and the clinical duty towards customers is essential.
Very productive and fun place to work
Optical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street28 November 2017
A typical day start with a group meeting.
Store walk thought, helping the customer with their decision making. Having a great product knowledge.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the a big smile on the customer when they collect their new pair of glasses and all is well.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
40 hours week
Only work here if you study optometry, no benefits otherwise
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  London25 November 2017
This is a good company to work for if your are studying optometry as you learn on the job and get ready for your career. However, it is not very favourable if you are do not study the subject. You are looked down upon by the management and are considered simple tools when in fact you know more than many of the senior members of staff.

Furthermore, the work environment is very unprofessional and there is a lot of pushing and pulling over the most simplest of tasks.
Pros
Social life can be okay at times
Cons
Poor management, unprofessional, Low pay
Great place to work management lets it down though
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire22 November 2017
very rewarding job as far as helping people make not only a lifestyle choice but also allowing them to have a clarity of life though their own vision again. the only down point from when i was there was the pay structure and the management style of the higher-ups above store level.
Pros
Rewarding
Pushy and underapriciated
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent20 November 2017
I was told to sell as much as i could and would get penalised if i didn't up-sell to every customer, but was told the next day that the service we give is more important that taking money. And then the next day was penalised for not selling enough?! I didnt get great support during difficult times and feel totally decieved and lied to by regional managers. They stopped paying bonuses and overtime, but still expected me to go well above and beyond what should be expected, for no incentive or exra benefits.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Pushy, rude, insensitive and contradictory.
Fun and enriching
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London4 November 2017
Though my stay was very small, I enjoyed working at vision express, I felt I was enhancing my independence and the staff was really friendly. Personally I would like to work there again.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Tech
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear3 November 2017
I worked in the lab full time by myself, I did everything from ordering lens, glazing glasses and hand edging lens, I maintained all the machines and phoned all suppliers. I also worked on the shop floor at the same time when the store became busy.

· Glazing / Hand edging lens
· Order and chase delayed lens
· Maintenance of machines
· Chashing up
· Open/close store
Pros
Good company
productive workplace
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham26 October 2017
The average day includes mostly frontline customer service- answering the telephone, dealing with face to face queries. Taking handovers from optometrists and advising customers accordingly on frames and appropriate lenses. Assessing customers needs and building rapport.
Checking in stock and contact lens deliveries and ensuring all product is merchandised correctly. Cleaning and making sure the store is presentable.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
low pay
Data entry clerk
Data Entry Clerk (returns) (Former Employee) –  Nottingham22 October 2017
Decent work atmosphere and very relaxed environment, low targets which allow you to work at a flat rate in order to complete the job to a high standard.
Great job if your face fits
Optical Advisor (Former Employee) –  UK19 October 2017
Is a great working environment provided you meet the criteria of the manager. (That's socially and not about your ability to do the job)
Great Benefits and the chance to further your career if meeting the right criteria depending on who your manager is.
I enjoyed meeting new people everyday from all walks of life and enjoyed giving good customer service and resolving any issues when they arose. The opticians are generally amazing and while being professional they were good fun to work with.
Pros
Free Glasses for yourself and vouchers for money off for friends and family every year
Cons
Felt like no real support
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 October 2017
It was a good experience working at Vision Express. It was my first time working in a Optician and also as Administrator. Learned a lot about everything such as having a good organisational skills and use initiative and multitask. To handle queries from employees and managers via telephone/email. Ensuring that the customers needs are met is always the top priority.
Pros
Friendly management
Not bad
Technician laboratory worker (Current Employee) –  Technician laboratory11 October 2017
Work is easy, but they should pay more for contract worker. Contract worker are on same level like new people from agency with wage and they have to do much more.
Pros
Some company events like open doors for company workers family
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Good employers.
Dispensing Optician/ assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe10 October 2017
They are a good, honest company to work for that you can easily work your way up with if you have to right attitude and enthusiasm.

I would recommend them.
productive
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire7 October 2017
long hours of working and we were never allowed to sit in a 8:00-17:00 work shift period. However it taught me a lot about work life and taught me a lot about customer service and confidence.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
long hours of standing
Not bad
Optical Advisor (Former Employee) –  London28 September 2017
I think you take from it what you put in. Very easy to become stagnant. Support isn't really available but you can progress well if you're driven. Salary is really poor for knowledge you're expected to deal with on a day to day basis.
Great benefits, fast paced job
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham12 September 2017
This job is great if you're looking for a fast paced job where you need to think on your toes and remember lots of information all the time. I did an apprenticeship and the pay was above the national minimum wage so that was good.
Working long hours but can be fun
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 September 2017
It's a good job if you enjoy standing long on your feet I learned about optics useful skills to have

I had training at their Support office as well.
Pros
No pros
Not for me
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vision Express31 July 2017
Nice bright building with Friendly reception staff, close to country park with on site parking available.
Old fashioned company in a new building with a corporate look but outdated attitudes. Very Strict regarding Hair colour/dress code. No sickness benefit or pension.

This company is moving too fast and it's main focus is on it's Exec board and their bonus and shareholders dividends. Unfortunately senior management do not live their own Culture and Values. Staff are not valued and it is frowned upon if you do your hours and go home on time. most enjoyable part of the job is working with some nice people.
Pros
Onsite parking
Cons
Staff not valued and expectation to work longer hours with no additional pay or time in Lieu
overworked and under appericated
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 July 2017
Nice staff to work with in general, You do find the occasional manager/ Team leader who does not do the role properly they leave early and leave you understaffed and stress.

The say they promote internally that in fact is a lie they are now hiring people from outside the company for management roles then expect staff who have work with the company for numerous years to train them up especially staff who they have promised a promotion to on multiple occasions, they either get told they are not ready or position not available at the time.

They overwork you, mentally and physically drain you but if you make one comment of tiredness you are told to stop moaning.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Overwork no progression
Fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 July 2017
I was taught many things as i worked with Vision Express. i can also confidently work with pupils and leave them feeling happy as well as satisfied with the service provided.