Vintage Inns Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  nec15 December 2017
Hard graft but worth it as the team are amazing,
The management team are good and very supportive within the brand and always pushing you forwards. very enjoyable,
Pros
fun
Tame Otter, Tamworth
Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire20 November 2017
Beware anyone responding to a waiting position here it is a small pub with not many areas to eat they advertise for waiting staff but only use you to food run the waiting areas are permanently given to long term favouritism staff you will not get any opportunity to be a server and earn any tips
The long term staff and management are not very welcoming to newcomers
The kitchen chefs will permanently shout at you belittle you and are hostile one particular chef constantly demands tips from the front of house staff
The pub is in a semi remote are with little public transport you will have to pay taxi fares every evening to get you home unless you have a vehicle
Pros
Cons
Very hostile environment
Mitchells and Butlers
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  South East31 October 2017
Like working in dictated, constrained environments, this is for you. Want to express your leadership and management flair don't work here you will feel suffocated and ignored, unless you are wanted for something.
Pros
not many
Cons
too many
Great local Pub, lovely staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Biddulph24 June 2017
Serving customers with food and beverages, stock replenishment, staff training, key holder, end of shift/day routines to follow.
Making sure the building was secure at the end of shift.
Pros
Local to home - no travelling
Cons
Unsuitable hours
Poor workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  Skelmersdale17 March 2017
I did not like this job as one of the staff members wore a jacket and trainers in the kitchen whereas you are supposed to wear chefs whites with safety shoes which is unhealthy and unhygienic. I did not get paid as much as I had expected from the double hours I worked on Christmas
Pros
Free breakfast and Free drinks
Cons
unhygienic staff, bad food
Great Brand
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire5 March 2017
Fantastic premium pub brand, but I feel its not enough for me, The company are very modern and forward thinking with all the latest tech
Pros
live in saves you a fortune
Cons
live in gives you no break
Fun, sociable and challenging
Management (Former Employee) –  Hampshire5 February 2017
Having been in a number of levels of employment including also as an In House Trainer, relief Assistant Manager, Head Chef and Deputy Manager I have seen all sides of the business and thoroughly enjoyed working for them.
Pros
Being Social with Customers and gaining friendship
Cons
n/a
joke of a place
che (Former Employee) –  southqueensferry1 September 2015
if your not forign your not well come in the hawes inn kitchen hygine is a joke and your expected to do a 2 man job by your self whie others stand and watch
Worst brand Ive ever worked for.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  South Coast16 July 2015
I worked for this brand as a restaurant manager for one year after a long and succesful career with Mitchells and Butlers. Moving to Vintage Inns was the worst move I have ever made and I truly experienced what it was like to work for an awful, uninspiring brand management team that was perpetually in crisis.

I joined a district that had four General Manager vacancies and was offered to "take my pick" of sites to manage. I arrived at a site with no management team in place at all, 3 chefs working 80 hours a week, already burnt out and ready to leave and a part time front of house team that could only work part time set shifts, about 80 hours and 3 team members shy of what was required to fill a base rota.

The area manager was mediocre at best. She was a big "red" personality, point things out and JFDI sort of person. I can imagine she was a great GM, very hands on and probably got a lot done. Terrible as an area manager. She would turn up on shift because she didn't like the layout of the tables, comandeer a couple of team and move furniture around until she was happy. Didnt understand how to motivate, inspire or lead without just doing things herself. District meetings consisted of branding ourselves as winners with no exploration of what a good job was, no sharing of best practice, as if just saying the word "winners" was enough to transform a failing district and brand. Throughout my time her district was constantly in crisis, managers were hastily recruited and thrown in with a sink or swim response, and in my case, left to work the first month with no management
  more... team, opening and closing a multimillion pound business on my own with no where near the minimum amount of team required to keep the doors open.

The offer was very poor for what is meant to be a premium brand in Mitchells and Butlers. The quality of food and ingredients in what is meant to be a country pub are awful. A price point that is stuck in no mans land between premium and value, with no USPs that come to mind about the food at all. Very mediocre, poor ingredients, poor presentation and untrained teams to deliver into a high end guest profile.

Constant daily conversations about labour nationally as a brand around their use of PPS "people productivity system", with managers failing to deliver labour consistently week in week out. I understand that at one point the brand set the level of productivity expected from each team member to 118%. Work that one out.

Truly awful brand to work for whether you're a manager, FOH or BOH team member. Avoid it like the plague, the management team in vintage inns don't have a clue what they're doing, or if they do they have no idea how to deliver it.

I recommend trying a different brand in Mitchells and Butlers, because overall its a great company with a great vision, just very poor leadership in this brand.
Pros
Beautiful pubs in great locations.
Cons
Awful senior management, awful food offer, no training. no support, no management structure, constantly in crisis mode.
Good benifits
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Brereton, Sandbach31 October 2014
Long hours, lots of walking, smiling and friendly with customers
Learnt lots of new skills, gained confidence, management skills
Good benefits/discounts
Pros
Half price food on shift, good benifits
Cons
Long hours, change in team/management
learnt alot fun
2nd Chef (Current Employee) –  york24 February 2014
typical days work preping the kitchen for lunch time learnt about waste , stock , management are helpfull co woker a joy to work with , the most enjoyable part of the job is doing the stock take and leaning more about it
Fun Workplace
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, ENG24 January 2014
Was given great training
Gained a personal license
Family like environment
Great supportive staff
Pros
Flexible Shifts
Cons
Late Nights
Typical pub work!
Bar / Waiting-on staff (Former Employee) –  Cliviger / Leeds20 January 2014
Bar-work, waiting on & occasionally helping out in the kitchen, whilst I was studying at college and Uni so the flexible hours worked well around my studies but it also meant giving up evenings and weekends!
Pros
Discounted / free food during various shifts
Cons
Unsociable hours
lack of training
Mitchells and Butlers Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  west midland5 August 2013
I have left this poistion due to lack of company training.Most roles give you an opportunity to train as you go but there is general lack of courses for you to go on and on the job training seem to be a hastle to everyone concerned.
The company has a good goal for it wants to achieve though it appears to still use and abuse its assistant managers with long hours.
I started and i informed my line manage r i was unable to work monday's she told me this wasn't a proble, the first week was fine after that i was on the rota every monday for 6 months, this caused me a lot of difficulties and my pleas were just ignored.
Lieu days were cancelled by manager and area manager,bonus system is a joke too.
A new manager started whos was younger than me and basically messed up every booking for christmas,she hired her freind to help her whose idea of service was texting on her phone or playing games with her mates.
Not a good company to work for, not going forward,lack of training,people who get hired cos their face fits rather than ability to do the job,
Pros
Cons
long hours no free meal no matter of duration of shift, no real training