Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun, cool, great discount
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 July 2017
I Worked part time as a sales advisor at UO whilst studying. 3 days a week so I was able to balance work, uni, social quite well.

Plays good music, other cool people work there, loved being creative with my style with out looking out of place.

Staff were really nice, management questionable but cant blame them with their work load.

I think i got minimum wage.

Little pep talks every morning, incentives through the week.

Changed tasks every two hours so never doing the same thing for too long, tasks included being a cashier, changing room attendant, watching shop floor approaching customers, tidying folding etc.

40% DISCOUNT!

Definitely the best retail job I've had.
Pros
Being creative with style, good discount, flexible.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow15 June 2017
A typical day was fun, got to do lots of different things on some days. Management was great, really approachable. Workplace was really laid-back, everyone more like friends than colleagues.
Pros
Fun to work there
quite a boring place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester15 June 2017
I felt I was left on my own quite a bit and put on the fitting rooms out of the way for most of my shifts. I tried really hard to cover all shifts even drove three hours from home on boxing day for the company and received no thanks also didn't get kept on after christmas even though I felt I was one of the strongest candidates. No jobs security at all.
Store energy/management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Spitalfields East london14 June 2017
I have worked for Urban for 5 years, Throughout that time i have developed into a senior manager with all skills needed to run a positive store turnaround and a great working team.
On a day to day basis i work on Payroll. Store set up for the day. Ensuing stockroom is run with great productivity. Along with this, ensuring all KPIS are met by driving the sales team with incentives. Overseeing all Department managers and ensure store standards are at there highest. Daily walkthrough and consistent communication with the visual team.Along with this ensuring all staff and management rotas are in place. Right people/ right place to increase productivity through out peak trade. Also constant communication with District manager and other store manager.
I enjoy the fast pace of my job and enjoy working with the sales team,
Pros
Good vibe within the team, Great work culture with Urban
Cons
No life work balance, Not enough training given external store mangers, Slow turnaround on recruitment of department mangers.
clothing store
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Store assistant3 May 2017
top brand marketer but many things to improve wouldn't like to discuss further...bad staffing and no ote its terrible weak rota not enough pay often extra hours work
A great place to work
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire2 May 2017
Reaching daily target whilst being accurate. Working as a team. Several managers. A different manager for each department.Urban feel very highly about culture in the workplace. Being left to get on with the job. Hardest part of this job will be giving negative feedback to work colleagues.
Pros
Fun club. Job share
Cons
not flexible hours.
Productive and fun workplace with a great fast paced atmosphere
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London12 April 2017
My experience in retail developed a lot while working here. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the many tasks I was assigned although I adjusted quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great team I worked along side.
Usual Retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London8 April 2017
As far as retail work goes, Urban has a nice feel to it, its quite relaxed and the people are interesting and generally nice.

As with most retail jobs, the shifts are long, and do not allow for much of a work/life balance, the pay is also low as with most retail jobs.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Creative and Diverse
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marble Arch20 March 2017
A typical day involved beginning on a zone and making sure it was kept tidy, then as customers approached we would offer help, if they needed it we shall, if not we would smile, remain in the area but stay proactive by making sure the clothes were tidy. The odd customer would usually ask us to make a phone call to other stores to check stock etc. One time, there was a lady who was so happy with my customer service and willingness to help that she sent me fudge, twice, as a thank you (I told her I love fudge!). It was very fun to work with such creative and diverse people!
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Not enough breaks
poor management
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Kensington, Greater London1 March 2017
Poor management, lack of training. Major cut backs on staff with redundancies and then expect a store to run fully as it was with double the staff. Impossible goals and a creative team that changes it's mind all the time putting staff under a great deal of stress. Poor security measures to prevent theft.
Pros
Good discount
Creative and challenging work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 February 2017
Urban Outfitters is a very creative and exciting company to work for. The company has a young and vibrant identity and constantly aims to be a market leader.

There not enough investment in staff training and development or company resource and infrastructure.

The hardest part of the job is lack of clarity with objectives.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the team spirit.
Pros
Creativity
Horrible place of work!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City, Greater London11 February 2017
I really wanted to work at this place for so long however when I started I hated every second and every hour of it. The staff were rude all the time to me for no reason. There is a way you talk to people and they just didn't understand the value of having manners. I wasn't given a clock in number after three-four months after I asked plenty of times, one or two managers were appallingly behaved by the way they spoke down to me, also had to watch one of the managers make everyones day a living nightmare, she also made a girl cry at work one day. I was not going to be apart of this horrible place any longer. I wouldn't advise anyone getting a job at UO even if you were desperate for the money.
Cons
good
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire13 January 2017
very good place to start you journey into the world of work very warm and happy yet professional experience.
very diverse range of cultures and ethnicity's which created a well balanced group of staff which offered equal opportunities to all.
you will always feel appreciated for hard work and putting that little bit extra.
A Great job for starters
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  White City30 October 2016
I love urban and all it stands for but issues will arise, the company has no formal training plan, all training has to be followed up with you, out of hours. Management is tricky but trained and a common 'forgetful' attitude is common. That being said it's friendly and free to be yourself which is often lost in retail jobs.
Pros
Discount
Super fun
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 October 2016
had great fun working here
very busy all the time but i had great manager to keep us all motivated
enjoyed being a part of the team
co workers were great
good incentives to reach targets
good store discount
experienced work days
stock room and sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Camden Town28 September 2016
when I had my first official contracted job at Urban Outfitters Camden, I was able to interact with co-workers easily because they were really friendly and welcoming. I then learnt more about the urban fashion has started to explore my creativity. I enjoy working in an environment where I am able to take control and express my ideas.
Pros
good and respectful work enviroment
Productive, Very busy workplace, Vibrant atmosphere
Retail worker (Former Employee) –  Covent Garden8 September 2016
A typical day at work would be working on presentation of the store, tagging clothes, stock work and making sure customers are happy.
During my experience at Urban Outfitters i had learned how to make clothes look more presentable, attend to the public effectively and attentively, I also learned how to tag clothes, steam them and order them correctly.
Management were friendly but also quite firm/ strict to make sure targets were met. Most of the time I never fell short of any tasks to do in the store.
My co-workers were also very friendly on the whole and we all worked as a team to meet goals and achieve the highest amount of sales.
The hardest part of working in Urban Outfitters would be that it can be quite physically demanding as you have to run up n down stairs quite a lot, so if you're not a very active person it isn't really for you.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in an effective team and assist customers because i felt happy to help them make decisions on different products and guide them around the store.
Cons
9am-5pm can be very long
Overall a good place to work. Great benifits and 'perks'
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Rushden29 August 2016
I enjoyed being part of urban, the house rules made it easy to get along with everyone, and we were all part of a great team. I became a 'buddy' which involved looking after new members of staff, helping with any queries about the job and showing them where to go for breaks, introducing them to other colleagues & generally making them welcome within the company. I also became part of the health & safety team, this involved regular meetings with other members & management to discuss issues and create awareness to all staff throughout all of the company. (All done in our own time) I was part of 'the fun team' which created & organised fun events for the company to do as a whole... (I.E) charity events such as children in need, race for life, red nose day as well as friendly competitions such as, fancy dress for halloween, pumpkin carving, cake making, christmas fancy dress, easter egg hunt and our annual christmas staff party. All these were also organised and arranged on our own time. I was also asked to become part of a scheme that was designed to help anyone & everyone to be able to communicate effectively & confidently, letting everyone know that any problems they had, no matter how small, would be listened to & dealt with.This was done with small workshop sessions. I had no problems with any of the management, they were always willing to listen to anything you had a problem with, and dealt with it in a professional and when needed, discreet way.
I enjoyed all aspects of the job, I would even come in early to prepare so that we, as a team could get straight on with our
  more... work, in order to reach targets. I learnt a lot about the way companies like this work and worked in many of the areas throughout the warehouses.
Eventually the hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting. There is a lot of this within warehouse work, as well as some lighter duties, but in this role you had to be willing & able to do every aspect within the company.
Pros
Good hours, Optional overtime, Great pay.
Cons
Heavy lifting, NOT BEING ABLE TO STAY WITHOUT DOING IT (the heavy duties)
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow23 August 2016
I found that working for urban outfitters allowed me to use both my creative and customer service skills together.
As an employee I felt that I was important to the company and my voice was always heard. The management created a fun but professional environment to to work in an this helped the over all input from workers and pushed them to do well at every task.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne15 July 2016
Working at Urban Outfitters was fun as I enjoyed keeping the store tidy and making sure everything was placed in the right place.
I learned to communicate with customers and keep organised.
I liked working with the others as they helped keep me right and made sure I was doing the right thing and kept me on track.
The hardest part of the job was keeping the store tidy as the sales section got messy quick.
I enjoyed everything about this job: keeping the store organised, working in the changing rooms etc.
Pros
40% off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Urban Outfitters Inc. Reviews by Location