UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM Employee Reviews

Best Place for research
PhD Researcher (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire10 October 2017
While doing PhD, in University of Nottingham, I have learned a lot, even, other than research, like how to manage time, how to keep kalm in tough time, We used to have work discussion every week with supervisor, so that you keep your data upto date. We also use to have problem sessions, so that we use to keep ourselves upto date in research. Reading everyday new articles of different research groups worldwide.
We enjoyed group dinner like social events that kept us very family like environment.
Engaging and Rewarding
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham29 September 2017
The staff are professional and friendly giving you the opportunity to progress in your field and learn new techniques. A rewarding, challenging and engaging environment.
Good benefits
Administrative role (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire29 September 2017
The University employs some interesting and hard working employees. It can be a nice place to work with good facilities. Your experience here will very much depend on what department you work in, so choose wisely.
Pros
Reward schemes
Productive and fun workplace
Student Ambassador for Engineering (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 September 2017
This role was a relaxed work environment that included shift work. I was required to guide prospective students and parents around campus and describe different courses they might be interested in.
Excellent Student Work
Lead First Aid (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire4 September 2017
Fit around my studies and paid significantly better than alternative jobs. It was led by a competent team leader who placed the correct amount of trust in us whilst also providing sufficient support.
Typical university contract
Postdoctoral research assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham2 September 2017
Short term contract as is usual in a university. Always challenging to achieve the best outcome. Friendly technical staff and colleagues. Facilities are second to none.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Lack of long term job security
Supportive place to work
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Psychology Department2 September 2017
The university of Nottingham was a supportive place to work and study. They encourage you to learn new things, which requires you to work quickly and efficiently, but it is very rewarding.
awesome experience
international student caller (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire7 August 2017
Learnt good communication skills and customer service. enjoyed meeting new people and interacting with people. conducive work environment. Wonderful experience.
Fun and Rewarding
Subject Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Nottingham30 July 2017
The majority of the time spent was interacting with visitors and giving them information and advice while also being responsible for a laboratory demonstration. We were all managed very well with clear instructions.
Good pay but not much room for progression
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Various catering outlets10 July 2017
It is a good place to work if you're a student, but there is a lot required of you as a lot of the time you're rather understaffed. The cafe's can get really busy at times and it is stressful to work at these times. A lot of the time you will finish later than your shift is supposed to end. The pay is good compared to other jobs.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Expected to work after shift ends on a regular basis
Open Days: Great for additional money
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire28 June 2017
Very friendly and relaxed staff as long as work is done correctly, very good as a first job and a way of earning money alongside studying as it works well with timetables and flexible in days worked.
It has been fun
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire15 June 2017
I have previously enjoyed the contact I had with and the support I delivered to both students and academic staff. I felt that my input made a positive impact on their working lives.

I have learnt a great deal about higher education, the processes behind the teaching and learning, and how to assist and react to people from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds.

The management structure has changed with recent changes implemented, which have also had a huge impact on at least half the administrative staff. Management at the current time appears uncertain of its own role, and goal posts are moved on an almost daily basis.
Pros
free in-house training courses
Cons
Lack of clear management
Instructive and Help
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire9 June 2017
Working with the university on various schemes has helped me to develop my skills in teaching and communicating. They informed and trained me to do well in the position I was assigned to.
Beautiful Grounds, Awful Management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire15 May 2017
The University campus is very beautiful, the grounds are well kept and there are great facilities. My personal experience is that the management are very unfriendly and negative. I did not receive any positive reinforcement, no constructive feedback, no induction and no support during my time working there. The working hours are very good and the pay is fantastic. Very good transport links.
Pros
Pay and facilties
Cons
Negative working environment
Good learning and relaxed
Laboratory Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Nottingham14 May 2017
Good way to learn at your own pace. Excellent environment and wonderful and cooperative people. But working in academics can be leads to problems as contracts are for shorter duration.
Not great-poor management style
Learning Mentor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire5 April 2017
very little work life balance, heavily focussed on making money rather than the students. Not a great place to work. The hardest part of the job was the lack of transparency on strategy.
productive work environment
Student Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire29 March 2017
Difficult to obtain permanent contracts, majority of staff are on fixed term but once you're in within the University job security is excellent.Working environment is great, staff are supportive.
Relaxed environment
Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire22 March 2017
Phd student therefore salary and job security are low. Flexibility around working practices is a bonuses. Opportunities to provide outreach to local communities.
Good for PhD
PhD Research Student (Former Employee) –  Nottingham22 March 2017
As i was a PHD student i feel my review won't be accurate as i'm not staff. I felt i could have used more support as a student, having seen other places but it was a good experience and i wouldn't change it.
Productive and Fun
Student (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire3 March 2017
Best 4 years of my life, honed my skills as a scientist and developed extracurricular skills in the form of voluntary work and photography. The student union also helped
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Deadlines

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM. Our community is ready to answer.

UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM Reviews by Location