University of Manchester Employee Reviews

Great office culture and freedom to learn
Digital Marketing Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 December 2017
I worked here for just over 13 months, it was my first time working for an organization of this magnitude but thankfully I was in a great team and my colleagues made me feel very welcome.
Friendly and inviting
Temporary contract (Former Employee) –  Manchester11 December 2017
The atmosphere was very friendly and the people are very appreciative of your role. My typical day would include diary and email management on behalf of Professor, arranging worldwide travel including air, rail and accommodation.
Pros
Free bus service to and from university
Cons
my contract ended
Final year at the University of Manchester
Peer Assisted Study Support (PASS) Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 December 2017
Commuting to lectures and studying to achieve my Bachelors in Civil Engineering, with hopes of fulfilling my ambitious career prospects in later periods.
Fun work on the side
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Manchester16 November 2017
Whilst a temporary job, it was always fun when I got to work, and was incredibly sociable. A reasonable pay for what it was, and gave lots of key experience.
job security and work life balance
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester25 October 2017
A very good company to work with and provides you with all the required facilities to maximize your potentials. Provides you with an opportunity to work in a flexible environment
Good Place to Work
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 October 2017
Good place to work, but a lot of churn and chaos. IT is not always at the leading edge (and often several years behind). Management culture is variable
One of the biggest universities in the country
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Former Employee) –  Manchester17 October 2017
The university is home to a large and diverse student body and packed with excellent people across every department, no day is the same so expect to be kept stimulated and engaged by the range of people you encounter
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Manchester7 October 2017
Opt-in when you want to work.
Learnt alot to feedback to students.
Friendly open managers and open workplace.
Met new people on other courses and made new friends.
Excellent employer
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 October 2017
Excellent staff benefits and career progression. Interesting and varied work and world class working environment. Lots of staff support and opportunities.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Large organisation
Thoroughly Enjoyed My Time Here
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester Central1 October 2017
Great company to work for.
Flexible working and pension schemes are only a couple of the benefits offered.
People are great to work with and make your day very enjoyable
Too big to be managed effectively
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 September 2017
I worked during a restructure which left many without jobs despite their necessity for the "business". And unfortunately that is what this is - not an educator, but a business.

Furthermore I think the culture is very "mind your own business" and there is a big divide between upper management and day to day staff.

I would not recommend working here from my personal experience, however I can imagine if you found a good internal team you would have a better experience.
Hard work
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester16 September 2017
I worked as a student nurse, not really a job per say. It was extremely hard work but very rewarding as this is the field I would eventually like to work in.
Pros
Friendly work environment, really making a positive difference
Cons
Emotionally draining, long hours
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester31 August 2017
Can be a great place to work, the campus itself is in a great location and easily accessible, and the University generally looks after it's staff. The culture will vary greatly depending on the particular lab, but on the whole the culture is great.
High class research faciliity
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 August 2017
This is an excellent place to work with lots of flexibility and high class research facilities. The research groups work collaboratively to produce high standard publications.
kind and helpful leader
Ambassador-part time (Former Employee) –  Manchester19 August 2017
really good and helpful manager. employees are all friendly and willing to help. flexible working time and bright and comfortable working environment.
Lovely team to work with
Graduation Ceremony Steward (Former Employee) –  Manchester25 July 2017
I really enjoyed both spells working at the University of Manchester because all of my colleagues were really friendly and nice, the work was not stressful and I felt there was great training and support from our friendly seniors.
Great learning environment
Studen (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 July 2017
the university of manchester is a beacon for good quality research. strenghts are:
Links to industry
availability of funding (especially in STEM related subjects)
Workplace
Student (Current Employee) –  Manchester6 July 2017
Where I worked, mostly students worked and handled administrative duties to other work, but under supervisors who were often graduated students from UoM. Nice likable friendly atmosphere with lots to learn.
educational insitition
Student (Current Employee) –  student5 July 2017
support and guidance available throughout.
opportunities for training available. staff are friendly and welcoming.
Team work is very important and all of your concerns are dealt with in an effective manner.
Efficient and nice environment
Graduation Ceremony Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Manchester11 June 2017
Organised and efficient managers, coworkers are friendly. The tasks set aren't too difficult although confidence would be appropriate with some roles set within the position.