University of Liverpool Employee Reviews

One of the better places to work
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside26 January 2018
The workload varies and is at times quite heavy for a period, but afterwards will be quite light and allow some time for rest. The workload is varied and hours are flexible, so I can fit work in around my personal life quite easily most of the time.
Amazing Experience
Team Manager Liverpool Live Music Census (Former Employee) –  Liverpool23 January 2018
The University of Liverpool has given me the chance to grow as a person and a worker. I have met people from all over the world, enriching my cultural background and volunteering for a project like the music census has allowed me to have an insight inside the music business, both on a legal and sale prospective.
Great place poor management
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool19 December 2017
The UoL is one of those places that has great people to work with but is awful to work for if you are in the early stages of your academic career. The support for getting grants is practically nonexistent, while the effort to keep the talented student on as research assistants is high. While they may want to keep you on they cannot afford to, and consequently you are likely to find yourself stagnating in a job below your level of qualification. While in the mean time those above you dangle the carrot. However once you are in the door you will find much greater level of support, and pressure.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Lack of support for job progression.
Divisive management and class differences in staff.
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside21 October 2017
Very disappointing place to work. Management and support staff are always at your throat and each others. Money is not the best considering the level of work that is required. All in all, it has the feel of a workplace in decline; teaching standards, research standards and working standards are all on the wane.
Pros
Not many.
Cons
Lots.
Loved Working Here
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Liverpool27 September 2017
This was my best job ever and I was sad to leave as I was relocating. The pay, holidays and social aspects were great. Would go back here in a heartbeat.
Pros
Great Work/Life Balance
Cons
Lack of Overtime
Productive and fun work place
Fasilities assistant (Current Employee) –  Mail room6 September 2017
Great employer great pension great people great sellers, friendly atmosphere, I've been there for nine years and it's the best employer Ive ever had, it's got lots of benifits
Pros
Good pension good people good wage
friendly but not efficiently
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside24 August 2017
A good and comfortable place to work. People there are friendly but some places are lack cooperation from different departments. In addition, some places/services still need to be developed
Poor
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside22 August 2017
Lack of development opportunities, qualifications - however irrelevant - prioritised over experience, 'jobs for the boys' approach still exists. Laid back environment and 'no sacking policy' does not make up for below average salary.
Great Benefits
Secondment (Current Employee) –  Liverpool31 July 2017
26 days holiday and another 6 closure days for Christmas, 35 hour working week, fantastic pension scheme and some other brilliant benefits. Amazing place to work!
Pros
35 hour full time working week
Cons
Car parking charges
Great benefits but staff are severely stretched
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  university of liverpool11 July 2017
Great benefits but staff are severely stretched. Nice working environment, good pension scheme, good opportunites for progression. Organisation is very top heavy resulting in ground staff being very stretched.
Such a fun job.
Aquarium Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Liverpool28 June 2017
I worked here for a few months, caring for the fish on weekends.
As a biologist, this was the perfect job. My boss was so kind, and the training was excellent - the staff were so patient and thorough when training me. The lunch breaks were long, and the job was so entertaining that the hours flew by.
The hardest part of the job was probably getting up early - I had to be in Liverpool for around 8am on weekends. However, this meant that I was finished work before lunchtime, and had the rest of the day to myself.
Wonderful group of people to work with!
uni
University Student (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside16 June 2017
was a student at university of liverpool for three years studying psychology. Liverpool university is a great place to study and i really enjoyed my three years
Fun place to learn
Business Management (Former Employee) –  Liverpool14 June 2017
The University was a very nice place to complete my degree, the lecturers and staff were very helpful with any queries that I had relating to work that had to be done.
Interesting and eye opening
Student (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside12 June 2017
The university offers a wide variety of activities both educational and academic with a library open 24/7 and even social activities to follow there is something for everyone.
Rewarding and Stimulating Environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 June 2017
Working here will push you to develop as a scientist, with access to great facilities and a salary scale that is very competitive when compared to other educational establishments.
only part time
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside30 April 2017
Did not have paid work at University of Liverpool unable to comment fully. Work was offered to students, those dealing with the volunteers were very helpful and knowledgable.
Well paid and easy work
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK5 April 2017
Open days so work was irregular but well paid, was not possible to continue the job into my second year as no longer lived on campus. Easy job simply showing potential applicants around my accommodation. o
Pros
free lunches, well paid
Cons
irregular work
Not as professional as you would expect
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside30 March 2017
Reading for a PhD at the university of liverpool comes with its benefits and its pitfalls. As a red brick university there are a lot of resources available to students. however due to being an academic university there are a lot of politics involved in who gets to use them. A working day will vary for every person depending on their research and their research group. I found the research extremely fascinating and the peer culture was brilliant however management was demanding and lacking at the same time. A lot is expected of you and even when you are delivering there is often more requested. An ability to compe with pressure and a certain level or upwards management is required to enjoy a PhD at the university of liverpool.
Pros
Fascinating work
Cons
long hours expected of you
Student advocacy review
Mentor and Student Advocate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool5 March 2017
Worked as a student advocate which involved mentoring and tutoring. Improving student attainment in state funded schools across Liverpool. Typically involved working with 14-18 year olds. Well organised lessons by advocacy team.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short hours
Great place to gain experience
Research Systems and Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside22 February 2017
My organisational skills have increased as I now manage the meeting room bookings and external training course for all managers and staff who may have members in their teams with disabilities. I am Co-Chair of The University of Liverpool’s DSN network (Disabled staff network) which I offer my creative and organisational skills to advertise and deliver events. As Co-Chair, I work with Network members to develop Network aims and objectives and organise the meetings held quarterly, write an agenda and arrange for relevant reports or information to be included.