University of Hull Employee Reviews

Meet lots of people
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull29 December 2017
Every department is different lots of people on site no real travelling involved staff are really nice people, can be a job for life with a pension and full sickness pay.
Pros
great staff
Cons
poor pregression
PA and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire24 August 2017
Great place to work.

Friendly and supportive team and managers

Good benefits and pay

Being involved in making the student experience positive

Career development
Nice research group in geography and geology
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire11 August 2017
Very good research work experience here
In the last four years, I have learnt how to cooperate with the lab experiment and field survey, how to analyse the a large mount of data set and also learn how to write a scientific thesis
Productive work place
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull26 July 2017
Throughout the year I learned and gained experience with several different techniques for office management and good team work practices.
Additionally I was able to learned how to communicate better with my other team members.
Pros
Reasonable managers
Cons
Bad work mates
Brillient
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire6 July 2017
This is an amazing place to work and study. I studied here for 3 years and came away with a first class degree. I worked as a student caller which was great. Lots of career progression, flexible hours and the role works around you.
Residant Assistant - Student Accomodation
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cottingham11 June 2017
It is a very rewarding job role however it can be a difficult one.

This is a live on site job role and you are often needed when you are not actually on duty.
Pros
Free evening meal, Reduced Accomodation Fee
Cons
Lack of organisation of job role
Fairly easy going workplace (at Scarborough Campus).
Desktop and Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire6 June 2017
Despite the easy going nature of many departments, there is very little opportunity for progression. Management quite content to sit back and allow staff to take on more and more work, with little, or no reward. Very much like I imagine working in the 1960s would have been like. Not impressed and hoping to avoid ever working in Academia/Education ever again!
Pros
Local staff at Scarborough have been fairly friendly
Cons
Attitude to staff too dependent on grade rather than role, I would have preferred the promotion of a 'Can Do' culture amongst the IT user population
Awful
Cleaning operative (Former Employee) –  University of hull3 April 2017
Worst place I have ever worked bad management massively under staffed didn't have the right equipment to do our jobs students health and safety put at risk
Pros
Met some lovely hard working people
Cons
Expect you do the work of 3 people in little time
Not my favourite place of work....
Lecturer in Law (Former Employee) –  Hull Law School5 January 2017
Hardest part of the job was working with people who were more concerned with promotion and putting others down than doing the job, joining cliques and forgetting what they were supposed to be there for!
The most enjoyable part was working closely with students.
What I learned is that if I had my time again, I would not work there nor become an academic.
Pros
None, really, apart from the decent pay.
Cons
Long hours, not appreciated, culture of stress and harrassment
Excellent
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Scarborough23 August 2016
A great place to work, all the staff and management are really friendly and it is a nice working atmosphere. Would recommend to everyone.
Good chance to experience work
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Several locations22 August 2016
I worked selling tickets for concerts and fed back registers to the Music faculty office.
When leading the team, I had to organise a term rota and make sure on the day the team knew what to do; front of house work.
The office staff were friendly and helpful and co-workers were limited but useful.
I enjoyed getting to be a part of the concert management and getting to watch a variety of music performances.
The hardest part of the work was getting volunteers to turn up.
The job is now run in a different manner with first years being required to run front of house; I was a part of the team before the change.
Pros
Free music concerts
Cons
Voluntary
Great Experience
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Psychology Department3 August 2016
Working while studying at the University of Hull was very easily done, working as a student ambassador did not encroach on my studies.
The student ambassador scheme was well managed and efficiently organised, communication from management to ambassadors was constant and precise. Everyone always knew what their role was.
Pros
Salary support whilst at university
Well managed
Peer Assisted Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull18 July 2016
I have been studying at this university of over 2 years; so far I have discovered alot of things an d learned and gained various skills and knowledge regarding my course and in my social life.
Pros
Well facilitated
Cons
Less module choice
Great place!
Student Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull21 May 2016
It's a great place to work with the management, quality of people, organisation and management is superb makes it easier for an employee.
Pros
Supportive environment
Researcher
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Hull15 January 2016
Academic position. The position did not required a fixed work schedule. Co-workers were good. Too much red tape. Overall I enjoyed the experience.
most exciting and challenging job with a mixture of laboratory and offshore work load
Benthic Laboratory Technician | Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENG10 November 2015
This was my first and only professional job where i was able to flourish for 2 years. This job was a fun place to work with very tight knit team and supportive management. I left the job to explore Australia.
Pros
working alongside my co-workers/friends
Cons
the job was a casual position
Was a happy easy going place to work
Halls of Residence Porter (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENG28 June 2015
General Porter in the Halls of Residence, and any evening functions within the university, covering daily routines such as cleaning,
delivery of post, completing minor / light repairs to student rooms, issuing of keys and passes
Swim coach (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENG14 April 2015
This job essentially involved me teaching other people with the knowledge I have on good swimming technique. It was enjoyable, but it was unpaid and sessions depended on the local school's use of the pool.
Fluid and Engaging
Student Note Taker (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENG4 February 2015
The role of Student Note Taker has enabled me to maintain a high standard of work in my own degree whilst gaining work experience along side my studies. Through the week I attend lectures with students to take note on the material in each session. I then have a three day turn around, to type up these notes and present them to the students. Each session is different and if gives me an opportunity to develop my own learning whilst helping the students I take notes for. From this job role I am gaining experience in: communication, presentation, maintaining and developing writing skills, time management. The fluid nature of the job role means that I must alway keep on top of my organisation and constantly check for any changes to my schedule, this has enabled to me become more free thinking when if comes to applying myself in my position.
the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that students are benefiting from my help and being able to help them through their degree and allowing them to achieve all they want to makes the job very rewarding.
Pros
Fluid hour allocation to allow for my own time management
University
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENG16 January 2015
typical university, if you are a researcher you know. if you are good in your field you know if the university if good or not for you.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na