University of Glasgow Employee Reviews

University of Glasgow
secretary (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 November 2017
An often-challenging academic environment of the University of Glasgow, the fourth oldest university in the UK (second oldest in Scotland) with student enrolment in excess of 24,000.
Pros
job security
Cons
works on the Lean methology
uncomfortable working environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 November 2017
I worked at the Uni of Vet school (department of leukaemia/vet school) for over 5 years. The majority of this time was very productive and enjoyable but unfortunately I found the final 2 years extremely uncomfortable due to many factors, which include increasing pressures to obtain quick results (essential to secure funding for the following 5 years) which led to a massive increase in unpaid hours, which had a knock on effect on the group dynamic resulting in a working environment that I found extremely cold and edgy. Subsequently I became somewhat ostracised from the group, possibly due to me being the only (young) male. This was a career first for me as my previous positions have without exception all been the complete opposite of how my experience at Glasgow ultimately became. My character is such that I made every effort to meet the ultimate goal of the group and publish my data which would have been a huge asset in securing the funding. This would see me regularly working into the very early hours (4am and later) at the Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow in a great effort to collect the vital final pieces of data I needed to publish the research I had worked on for the past 5 years. The goal sadly was never achieved as my colleague at the time unfortunately failed in her role to convert the raw data that I had created into a visual interpretable format. This was the end of over 5 years of hard work for me and ultimately there was nothing to show and nothing was published. A sole destroying experience and consequently the reason I then decided my future path would not involve  more... academic medical research.  less
Pros
challenging and very interesting
Cons
colleagues and the huge number of mice that ultimately I killed unnecessarily
Insightful and helpful
Primary school teacher work experience (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 October 2017
Provided with insightful placements in various primary schools. Gave me a remit to work with and lots of support from a mentor who also came to assess me teaching
Great teamwork and shared best practice
Course Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 October 2017
I enjoyed my time at Glasgow Uni as the task scheduling ranged over the academic year so was varied. The open plan office environment helped enhance job role understanding and pressure points. The line managers job shared which worked well and ensured a balanced view on progression on tasks. As part of a team at hectic times I offered help when needed to progress tasks and meet deadlines.
I enjoyed communicating with a range of stakeholders and was first point of contact for students with problems which affected their ability to study. This was a time consuming but rewarding role, supporting students, offering direction to appropriate specialist support or advise as per the regulations.
Pros
Contact with students and colleagues
Cons
Poorly managed introductions of new systems integral to the Admin role
Under valued
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 September 2017
Under valued under paid for job expected no job security due to restructuring lovely scenery poor management bad behaviour seems to be rewarded get to see the end result everyday is different
Pros
Lovely scenery
Cons
Poor management
Workload and Grade Incompatible
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow31 August 2017
Commonly known for staff to be working at a lower grade than work dictates with workload of 2 FTE. Management lacking in management skill with little chance of any progression.
WCMP A fantastic institute
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow2 July 2017
The normal life of a researcher at an University. Having to organise yor day and your experiments. Having to train and supervise new project, master students and PhD students.
Good but flawed
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 June 2017
Learned a great deal here, however the pay simply does not reflect the work done or the qualifications achieved and time and effort spent there, that being the main reason to leave
Great research establishment
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, UK12 June 2017
My 5 years work at Glasgow University as a post-doc was a rich and rewarding experience. The professors and support staff were very professional and friendly.
Good employer
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 June 2017
GOOD EMPLOYER NICE WORKING ENVIROMENT

Driven Senior Administrator within the finance sector with over 15 years of experience with a proven track record of success. A good team player and all-rounder who thrives on challenges, taking on and dealing with all tasks as required and assisting wherever necessary to ensure all work is dealt with on time. Works well under pressure in a clam and efficient manner, prioritising work well and always completing daily tasks. Good organisational and planning skills, can work on own initiative - dealing with business matters and queries as they occur.

Want to know more about University of Glasgow?

Ask a question
great place to study
Student (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, UK30 May 2017
studying at glasgow can be very demanding but overall was a great experience.some very snooty students bit very helpful and friendly staff, tutors etc etc.
Pros
student
Cons
hard work for your brain
Rewarding
HR Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow8 January 2017
Continual training and development offered
Pleasant working conditions
Good team working

Hardest part - workload

However, day passed quickly as have ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
Horrible Working Environment
Recruitment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tay House, Glasgow27 December 2016
Only temped at Tay House in Glasgow for 3 weeks and it was a horrible working environment. Backstabbing and bullying whilst management join in and laugh - completely unprofessional!
Cons
Poor Management
Mentoring GiC students (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 October 2016
It was a great experience. I enjoyed being a student and will love to work at the univeraity again for permanent job.
The rold was to mentor GiC students and explain to them about their journey and what to expect towards the university and much more!
Very dynamic and vibrant department
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 October 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant at the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University for 4 years. It was a very conducive environment for growth and professional development. There is ample of training opportunities as well as scope to learn and excel on the job. The teaching staff is very friendly and helpful. I benefitted from excellent mentors and guides during my employment. The administrative and IT departments function very efficiently making sure issues are handled very smoothly. Overall a great experience.
Pros
A focussed yet relaxed work environment
Cons
Old infrastructure
Productive and great learning environment
PhD student, Children's Literature and Literacies (Current Employee) –  Glasgow24 September 2016
Flexible and supportive for staff and student development. An excellent department of Children's Literature and Literacies. Well presented opportunities to network and forge industry links.
Alma Mater
IT Tutor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow11 September 2016
It is a great thing to work for one's alma mater, even better when there is such a positive work culture. I think fondly of my days working there and were it not for the cuts to higher education and the opportunities presented by the private sector would have stayed.
Fun and productive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 July 2016
Since February 2015 I have been working on the funded project “Information, Market Creation and Agricultural Growth” based in rural Karnataka, India, which contributes to the pursuit of the Millennium Development Goals, promoting economic growth, and to reducing poverty, gender-, and income-inequality.
Given this very rewarding experience and my wish to further pursue a career in research environment.
Difficult work in a challenging environment. Highly rewarding.
Full-time student (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 May 2016
My first year at university was a process that required focus, adaption and high attendance. 5 Biology lectures, 5 Science Fundamental lectures, 3 Earth Sciences lectures, one 3 hour Biology lab and one 2 hour Earth Sciences lab per week along with many sessions of personal study and various assignments for each subject.
I have received mostly A's and B's for my assignments and my first semester examinations. I am still awaiting exam results for the second semester.
Pros
Excellent facilities, Great lecturers and staff, Great support when needed.
Cons
Biology lab lessons were poorly laid out.
Excellent in some areas but really bad in others
Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT30 December 2015
The management in some areas is not up to the standards. There is quality research and quality education but still there is a gap between management and staff.