University of Glasgow Employee Reviews

Insightful and helpful
Primary school teacher work experience (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 October 2017
Provided with insightful placements in various primary schools. Gave me a remit to work with and lots of support from a mentor who also came to assess me teaching
Under valued
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 September 2017
Under valued under paid for job expected no job security due to restructuring lovely scenery poor management bad behaviour seems to be rewarded get to see the end result everyday is different
Pros
Lovely scenery
Cons
Poor management
Workload and Grade Incompatible
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow31 August 2017
Commonly known for staff to be working at a lower grade than work dictates with workload of 2 FTE. Management lacking in management skill with little chance of any progression.
WCMP A fantastic institute
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow2 July 2017
The normal life of a researcher at an University. Having to organise yor day and your experiments. Having to train and supervise new project, master students and PhD students.
Good but flawed
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 June 2017
Learned a great deal here, however the pay simply does not reflect the work done or the qualifications achieved and time and effort spent there, that being the main reason to leave
Great research establishment
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, UK12 June 2017
My 5 years work at Glasgow University as a post-doc was a rich and rewarding experience. The professors and support staff were very professional and friendly.
Good employer
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 June 2017
GOOD EMPLOYER NICE WORKING ENVIROMENT

Driven Senior Administrator within the finance sector with over 15 years of experience with a proven track record of success. A good team player and all-rounder who thrives on challenges, taking on and dealing with all tasks as required and assisting wherever necessary to ensure all work is dealt with on time. Works well under pressure in a clam and efficient manner, prioritising work well and always completing daily tasks. Good organisational and planning skills, can work on own initiative - dealing with business matters and queries as they occur.
great place to study
Student (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, UK30 May 2017
studying at glasgow can be very demanding but overall was a great experience.some very snooty students bit very helpful and friendly staff, tutors etc etc.
Pros
student
Cons
hard work for your brain
Horrible Working Environment
Recruitment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tay House, Glasgow27 December 2016
Only temped at Tay House in Glasgow for 3 weeks and it was a horrible working environment. Backstabbing and bullying whilst management join in and laugh - completely unprofessional!
Cons
Poor Management
Mentoring GiC students (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 October 2016
It was a great experience. I enjoyed being a student and will love to work at the univeraity again for permanent job.
The rold was to mentor GiC students and explain to them about their journey and what to expect towards the university and much more!
Very dynamic and vibrant department
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 October 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant at the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University for 4 years. It was a very conducive environment for growth and professional development. There is ample of training opportunities as well as scope to learn and excel on the job. The teaching staff is very friendly and helpful. I benefitted from excellent mentors and guides during my employment. The administrative and IT departments function very efficiently making sure issues are handled very smoothly. Overall a great experience.
Pros
A focussed yet relaxed work environment
Cons
Old infrastructure
Productive and great learning environment
PhD student, Children's Literature and Literacies (Current Employee) –  Glasgow24 September 2016
Flexible and supportive for staff and student development. An excellent department of Children's Literature and Literacies. Well presented opportunities to network and forge industry links.
Alma Mater
IT Tutor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow11 September 2016
It is a great thing to work for one's alma mater, even better when there is such a positive work culture. I think fondly of my days working there and were it not for the cuts to higher education and the opportunities presented by the private sector would have stayed.
Fun and productive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 July 2016
Since February 2015 I have been working on the funded project “Information, Market Creation and Agricultural Growth” based in rural Karnataka, India, which contributes to the pursuit of the Millennium Development Goals, promoting economic growth, and to reducing poverty, gender-, and income-inequality.
Given this very rewarding experience and my wish to further pursue a career in research environment.
Difficult work in a challenging environment. Highly rewarding.
Full-time student (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 May 2016
My first year at university was a process that required focus, adaption and high attendance. 5 Biology lectures, 5 Science Fundamental lectures, 3 Earth Sciences lectures, one 3 hour Biology lab and one 2 hour Earth Sciences lab per week along with many sessions of personal study and various assignments for each subject.
I have received mostly A's and B's for my assignments and my first semester examinations. I am still awaiting exam results for the second semester.
Pros
Excellent facilities, Great lecturers and staff, Great support when needed.
Cons
Biology lab lessons were poorly laid out.
Excellent in some areas but really bad in others
Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT30 December 2015
The management in some areas is not up to the standards. There is quality research and quality education but still there is a gap between management and staff.
Fun workplace
International Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT2 October 2015
Working part-time is very relaxed at the Marketing, Recruitment, and International Office, but I do wish they had more hours to add to my work schedule. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.
Lab Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT9 August 2015
The staff are very friendly and supportive and make you feel at home. Any issues you might have get resolved very easily and fast.
I love working in Glasgow, UK, at the university here. Unfortunately I need to leave on account of a woman!
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT17 February 2015
A typical day involves walking to work (20 mins through residential area) which keeps me fit. The work is varied, from helping PhD students get on with their projects to running my own research interests. Management depends on which Professor you work for but generally researchers have a good experience. Co-workers turn over every few years, as is the nature of academic life, but scientists tend to be smart and passionate about their work. However, we are occasionally miserable when experiments don't work (such is life). The most enjoyable part of the job is encouraging students and seeing them grow into top researchers.
Pros
Location, facilities and international reputation
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT29 June 2014
Casual hours meaning you choose when you want to work and whether you are free to work. Very handy as one learns and develops their understanding for the university itself.
Pros
Casual
Cons
Shift is 1 hour long.