University of Essex Employee Reviews

A great place to grow as a teacher
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex, England7 October 2017
The department of Philosophy and Art history at the University of Essex was a very productive environment for me to develop my teaching skills and gain experience. The department offered ample support and guidance, whilst also allowing enough room for individual freedom and choice when it came to designing and delivering classes.
Friendly people in a dull workplace
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex11 September 2017
As the lowest level employee I was used to do all the offices most menial tasks which were often quite physically strenuous and actually quite damaging to my health as I developed lower back pain. However when I was not having to do these tasks I was taught new computer skills and the people in the office were friendly enough.
Pros
Learn new skills
Cons
Tough management
Highly professional research support environment
Senior Officer (Current Employee) –  Colchester / work from home12 July 2017
The UK Data Archive is an expert organisation with an international reputation which hosts and makes available a range of quality and curated data assets for research and teaching.
Pros
Flexible and stimulating working environment
University of Essex Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Essex6 July 2017
University of Essex - Student Ambassador: Date 2014- 2017
• At University of Essex I work as a Student Visit Day Ambassador, part of my role involves meeting and greeting prospective future students and their families, speaking with them and assisting them with any enquiries. I feel my job role as Student Ambassador exemplifies the ease I have with talking to a wide range of people and also the enthusiasm I have for different jobs and experiences I engage in.
Nice Workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex5 July 2017
It is great as you always have enough support anything about your work, enough time for socialising. Everyone is very disciplined and you always feel safe. I am glad to be a part of this company.
Small but convenient
Bar Tender (Former Employee) –  Essex3 July 2017
Working at the University of Essex bar was my first bar job during University.

It's a lovely and small bar to get you started if bar work is something you would like to consider.
Pros
flexible works of work
Cons
not much room to progress
Fun, exciting work
Student Visit Day Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex28 June 2017
Everyday brought something new, allowing for a change in environments and interacting with different people daily. Colleagues were extremely friendly, and always offered support should you need it.
Pros
Flexible hours, Free lunch
Cons
N/a
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Essex20 June 2017
The lecturers were great, providing support and in lecturing. This is a great campus university with high quality equipments and a rebuilt library. Good start.
Was very lovely place to work in.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Embedded systems lab16 June 2017
Was very lovely place to work in. I really enjoyed my time there, the only thing that my job there was not on a permanent contract basis. And that is why I am looking for one now
Amazing place to work
Admissions and Outreach Intern (Current Employee) –  Colchester10 June 2017
Such a rewarding atmosphere. A typical day at work is different every day! The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am always making a difference to young people's lives.
Pros
Friendly, productive, opportunities, rewarding
great place to work
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex1 May 2017
great benefits, facilities and atmosphere - being surrounded by the people your job exists to help is a great incentive and keeps you focussed on what's important
Fun student life
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester17 March 2017
This was a part time job at the university while I studied. The team are very supportive of students and you are able to fit your work around your study in order to continue to make the most out of your university experience.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Minimum wage
Changing environment as Universities become more about making money and not educating our youth
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex18 February 2017
The main duties of my role is ensuring that the courses that I administer run smoothly and that coursework results and student concerns are dealt with efficiently and within certain deadlines.
I have learnt effective time management, excellent customer service skills and many technical skills.
The management is varied and ill-structured this makes for a insecure culture in the workplace and a low morale.
The hardest part of the job is witnessing the change in the last 9 years- where the University treats students as pound signs and not as young people at the start of their academic career.
The most enjoyable part is seeing the students, helping them with their concerns and watching them graduate!
Pros
Beautiful park land location on outskirts of Colchester
Cons
Business ethos and not education ethos
Excellent working environment with pleasant and professional staff
Data Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK Data Archive1 September 2016
I worked on a number of research-related projects while at the UK Data Archive. My job mostly entailed cleaning data and metadata to be more accessible to researchers, and transferring analogue data in the form of written surveys and reports into a digital format. My colleagues were welcoming, helpful and friendly, and made my experience working at the Data Archive a very pleasant one.
Pros
Flexible hours, excellent pay
Cons
Due to policy restrictions, I was only allowed to work 36 hours a week
great work place
Visit Day Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Essex10 July 2016
it is a great university to not only study at but to gain all kinds of beneficial experience to help a student progress in a career and employment. the people are the university are nice and welcoming and the university environment is great fro a student
Pros
great people
Cons
would like longer hours
Fun and Inspiring
DS Officer (Current Employee) –  Colchester18 May 2016
Having a part time role isn't tiring at all, and the best part is getting to know incredible people whom I learn a lot from. I learned mostly that everything that one wants to do should be fought for it.
Pros
Different Benefits
Great Place to work
Visit Day Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Colchester28 April 2016
Friendly Enviroment, Lunch break. Working as a student ambassador with the University was fun and i learnt so much during my time at the University. The hardest part of the job is forgetting to explaining some necessary nitty-gritty to the guests. The easiest part was setting up the enviroment for the guests to be comfortable. Overall the University of Essex is a great place to work.
Pros
free lunches
Engaging and exciting opportunities
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester28 April 2016
Working as a laboratory assistant is a varied role. Working as part of a small team to carry out research is challenging but rewarding.
Splendid Job
Visit Day Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Colchester18 March 2016
As a Visit Day Ambassador, I supported the Communications and External Relations Team by providing prospective students and accompanying visitors, a current student’s perspective at the University’s Visit and Interview Days through the delivery of campus tours and talking about life as a student at the University. The experience was overwhelming and the job was demanding. Yet you gain skills such as team work, time management etc
Pros
free lunches
Supportive and friendly
Language Outreach Frontrunner (Former Employee) –  Colchester23 September 2015
An excellent department and University to work for providing training and support throughout the year.
Bridging University life and work environment whilst involving departments in the local community.