University of Edinburgh Employee Reviews

Good Company
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 September 2017
Good company to work for with excellent pay worked with the University for 3 years. Only bad point is I feel they have they're favourite employees already lined up for management jobs etc.
Constrained by Bureaucracy From Above
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh14 September 2017
My time working at Edinburgh has in general been very good: the salary is decent, my direct boss has been excellent, and the work is intellectually stimulating and rewarding.

However, there is one major problem: as a full-time PhD student, there are quite arbitrary and bizarre constraints placed upon how many hours you are allowed to work on top of this.

As someone who is keeping to time on their PhD progress, this is deeply frustrating. I have had many issues with the University management in trying to get enough hours of teaching and research work such that I can earn a decent wage (as PhDs are not well paid). The latest ruling is that we are allowed to work a total of 9 hours extra per week. This is simply not enough to get the kind of work experience needed to be competitive on the academic job market once we submit and graduate, nor indeed is it enough to be competitive elsewhere should we choose to leave academia.

It's disappointing to have any otherwise great experience marred by pointless bureaucracy.
easy job and correct employer
Office Cleaner (Former Employee) –  University of Edinburgh8 September 2017
early morning job
hoovering offices, cleaning public area, cleaning toilets
empty the bins
buffing the kitchen area
very good management, very flexible and understanding
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moray House6 September 2017
Great colleagues, lots of support available and the pay was very good. I got on very well with everyone and instructions were very clear on tasks etc. I would recommend working here.
Big university, can be isolating
PhD student (Current Employee) –  School of Chemistry1 September 2017
I find the place quite isolating and often rules and regulations are in place, at least in writing, but these same rules and regulations are not followed (e.g. PPE in the labs).
Not the safest place to work.
Professional and Rewarding
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh23 July 2017
A professional and rewarding place to work with helpful staff and hard working students. An inspirational university and a wonderful learning environment
Challenging academic life
Chair of Philosophy (Current Employee) –  Edinbugh16 July 2017
The University of Edinburgh is a challenging institution that is constantly rising and generating value internationally. I have had a very satisfying career at the University.
Well equipped workplace with excellent in work benefits
PDRA (Former Employee) –  Scool of Chemistry12 July 2017
My department contains excellent facilities, managed by knowledgeable and helpful staff. There is a culture of working hard within the department, encouraged by members of academic staff.
what I like about Edinburgh University
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 July 2017
I am doing internship in the department of Information Services at the University of Edinburgh. Management is really good. I like to work here. I work part time here. There are really good software engineers. I am learning NodeJS, mongodb.
very good university, provides great opportunities for learning
Ph.D / Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh10 July 2017
the university has very good research platform. the environment is stimulating and encouraging. there are good facilities and support for students and staff.
Pros
great city, and excellent research opportunities
Cons
could be very demanding at times, and very competitive
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh6 July 2017
The university of Edinburgh is has a fantastic working atmosphere and culture. I enjoyed my time there as a research associate within the department of engineering.
Pros
Many working lunches with free pizza
Cons
non
Worth to do to earn a little money during your PhD
Teaching Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh4 July 2017
It is worth doing some teaching work to earn a little money and gain some experience during your PhD. I had experience of all aspects of teaching and found it all very rewarding.
great job
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh26 June 2017
I worked as a telephone interviewer for the DLHE survey and this was a great role. I was responsible for calling previous graduates to see what they had been doing since graduation. It was a very flexible and well-organised job.
Domestic
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 June 2017
Start of day cleaning ensuites and kitchens, usually short staffed and expected to cover so a lot of rushing about, Staff morale very low, staff always looking for other jobs as its hard going with no help whatsoever. Supervisor just expects staff to get on with the job and shows no interest if you voice concerns , would not recommend working as domestic in uni, Holidays not up to much and expected to work weekend within a weeks notice so cant arrange social life.
would be better with an understanding supervisor who sticks up for the hard working staff,Very hard going with 15min break,
Supervisor has no interest in staff morale
Pros
Cons
no team effort due to low staff morale
Tutor!
Tutor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 June 2017
I can't really comment on Edinburgh University as an employer, as, while I studied there, I was only employed occassionally as a tutor.

Still - that was fun!
The Academy of Government is a great place to work
Social Tutor for Parliamentary Intern Program (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, UK11 June 2017
My main experience is within the Academy of Government and by extension the school of social and political science. overall the staff is friendly and supportive. The benefits are nice and if you network effectively from within you can certainly find opportunities to move around.
Part Time work at University
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh5 June 2017
Really,great and flexible place to work doing something that i absolutely love. I have to give tours to prospective students and dignitaries who want to see the university.
Friendly environment
Post-doctoral research scientist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh1 June 2017
Friendly and supportive environment. Focus on career development and development of key skills while also encouraging a good work/life balance and communication and socialising between departments.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
I Didn't Work Here, I Was A Student.
Student (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh17 May 2017
Absolutely incredible student experience, very good experiences. I studied philosophy and English literature which provided me with many analytical and research based skills.
Security Officer (Deputy Shift Manager) (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, UK13 May 2017
One of the best employers in UK which provides security and benefits to its employers. Safe environment, intelligent and friendly members of staff. Excellent managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Edinburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4