University of Edinburgh Employee Reviews

Porter
Porter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh15 January 2018
Not enough hours to get jobs done .100 miles an hour. Poor management stay clear of porter work . Part time job but full time work load. Expected to work without correct tools etc .no respect .
Pros
Cons
Heavy work loads not enough hours .poor management
A good place to work
Hotel room attendant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh City, City of Edinburgh9 January 2018
The place itself was a good place to work at but the management team were a nightmare, constantly spreading rumours between the different buildings which wasn't nice at all.
Pros
Long Breaks, Good Hours
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh4 January 2018
I have very much enjoyed working for the University of Edinburgh and I have worked with a lot of amazing people. I was always able to find support and help when necessary.
Supportive environment
Associate Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh12 December 2017
Helpful staff and peers. Encouraging environment to work in. Great opportunity to learn and develop as an employee of the university. Possibly to further enhance career.
Pros
Staff discounts, full access to library facilities
Cons
Long working hours
strongly recommend
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh21 November 2017
I strongly recommend Edinburgh for anything in Informatics. As an undergraduate programme, it is certainty top three in the country for the above aspects, and in my opinion superior in some ways to Oxbridge due to the additional year, breadth and depth of courses, and unique access to faculty and facilities. Edinburgh enjoys as good or better reputation than Oxbridge in the academic community for AI/CS, though to the general public this is not the case.
Not what I expected
Secretary/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh16 November 2017
Perhaps it was my specific job but there were no development opportunities and felt very much like I was to remain "in my box" as it were. A lot of hierarchy. Fantastic benefits though but with lack of progression, the pay was slightly below standard. You do get a pay scale though so each year your salary increases by around £500.
Pros
Pay scale increase, benefits
Cons
Hierarchy, lack of direction and development (in my position)
Good training and advancement opportunities
MSc Programme Secretary (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 September 2017
I varied and fun place to work with the opportunity to attend training opportunities. A relaxed place in terms of management and there is a good work/life balance.
Good Company
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 September 2017
Good company to work for with excellent pay worked with the University for 3 years. Only bad point is I feel they have they're favourite employees already lined up for management jobs etc.
Constrained by Bureaucracy From Above
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh14 September 2017
My time working at Edinburgh has in general been very good: the salary is decent, my direct boss has been excellent, and the work is intellectually stimulating and rewarding.

However, there is one major problem: as a full-time PhD student, there are quite arbitrary and bizarre constraints placed upon how many hours you are allowed to work on top of this.

As someone who is keeping to time on their PhD progress, this is deeply frustrating. I have had many issues with the University management in trying to get enough hours of teaching and research work such that I can earn a decent wage (as PhDs are not well paid). The latest ruling is that we are allowed to work a total of 9 hours extra per week. This is simply not enough to get the kind of work experience needed to be competitive on the academic job market once we submit and graduate, nor indeed is it enough to be competitive elsewhere should we choose to leave academia.

It's disappointing to have any otherwise great experience marred by pointless bureaucracy.
easy job and correct employer
Office Cleaner (Former Employee) –  University of Edinburgh8 September 2017
early morning job
hoovering offices, cleaning public area, cleaning toilets
empty the bins
buffing the kitchen area
very good management, very flexible and understanding
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moray House6 September 2017
Great colleagues, lots of support available and the pay was very good. I got on very well with everyone and instructions were very clear on tasks etc. I would recommend working here.
Big university, can be isolating
PhD student (Current Employee) –  School of Chemistry1 September 2017
I find the place quite isolating and often rules and regulations are in place, at least in writing, but these same rules and regulations are not followed (e.g. PPE in the labs).
Not the safest place to work.
Professional and Rewarding
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh23 July 2017
A professional and rewarding place to work with helpful staff and hard working students. An inspirational university and a wonderful learning environment
Challenging academic life
Chair of Philosophy (Current Employee) –  Edinbugh16 July 2017
The University of Edinburgh is a challenging institution that is constantly rising and generating value internationally. I have had a very satisfying career at the University.
Well equipped workplace with excellent in work benefits
PDRA (Former Employee) –  Scool of Chemistry12 July 2017
My department contains excellent facilities, managed by knowledgeable and helpful staff. There is a culture of working hard within the department, encouraged by members of academic staff.
what I like about Edinburgh University
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 July 2017
I am doing internship in the department of Information Services at the University of Edinburgh. Management is really good. I like to work here. I work part time here. There are really good software engineers. I am learning NodeJS, mongodb.
very good university, provides great opportunities for learning
Ph.D / Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh10 July 2017
the university has very good research platform. the environment is stimulating and encouraging. there are good facilities and support for students and staff.
Pros
great city, and excellent research opportunities
Cons
could be very demanding at times, and very competitive
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh6 July 2017
The university of Edinburgh is has a fantastic working atmosphere and culture. I enjoyed my time there as a research associate within the department of engineering.
Pros
Many working lunches with free pizza
Cons
non
Worth to do to earn a little money during your PhD
Teaching Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh4 July 2017
It is worth doing some teaching work to earn a little money and gain some experience during your PhD. I had experience of all aspects of teaching and found it all very rewarding.
great job
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh26 June 2017
I worked as a telephone interviewer for the DLHE survey and this was a great role. I was responsible for calling previous graduates to see what they had been doing since graduation. It was a very flexible and well-organised job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Edinburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3