University of Central lancashire Employee Reviews

Learned a lot
Top up work from Internship (Former Employee) –  Preston9 November 2017
Learning how to be part of a team and working within a deadline was a good experience. The members of the office were very welcoming and friendly and provided a nice work experience. The hardest part of it all was the creation of a database that was suitable to their standards but once i understood how they operated then it was easy to tweak it to their standards.
Pros
Working and Interacting with different people
Cons
Early wake ups xD
great place
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire10 October 2017
very good staff to work with excellent rates of pay and management excellent also. would work here again only had to leave due to persoal issues but very good place
Good
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire21 September 2017
Good Place to work, very supportive of staff, good holidays and very invested in personal development. The work is engaging and challenging and there is always something new to learn.
Great employer
Senior Financial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Preston12 September 2017
I found UCLan to be a good employer, providing good career progression whilst allowing a good work /life balance through the flex-time working.

Regular appraisals and team building opportunities allowed staff to build a good rapport with each other and meant that the working environment was enjoyable.
Ok
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lancashire9 September 2017
Work was okay. Manager/Supervisor seemed to show favouritism towards specific employees. Although the pay was good, but most shifts were only made available on Wednesdays making it difficult for those in labs/lectures to work those shifts.
Great starting position to gain experience and knowledge
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire17 July 2017
The role required a level of independent working
Allowed a lot of patient contact
Required a lot of travel
The long hours and limited pay made it difficult to continue in such a position
Pros
Opportunity for networking and learning from experts within the field
Cons
Long hours, a lot of responsibility and limited control.
Full time Student
Full time student - Foundation Degree (Former Employee) –  Preston23 June 2017
Two year course for Foundation Degree. This comprised of a two year placement within a Primary School setting. Supporting students with English as an additional language. Planning activities, to ensure communication, language, personal, social and emotional development while promoting inclusion
Pros
Great team wo work with
Cons
even vast improvement is heavily criticised (creative subject)
Student (Current Employee) –  Preston22 June 2017
Most staff don't communicate well, some have a lot of trouble organizing themselves, some say things they don't mean and blame the student for doing something wrong. Technicians don't really do anything, they just sit in their office eating toast and practically shout at grown adults when asked to do their job or even a simple question. There are 2 members of staff that I believe take the brunt of the work, both have been off with stress recently. There's no work-life balance for staff or students. It doesn't matter how much you improve, staff and tutors will ALWAYS pick out something minute that could be better and make out like its the end of the world and the whole thing needs redoing.
Pros
degree at the end
Cons
everything else
Uclan
Project Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire29 March 2017
UCLAN is a nice university. It is fairly slow moving and would be ideal for somebody who would like a job that they can sink into that is not very fast paced. Work/home life balance is ideal.
Overall good conditions
Senior Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  Preston6 March 2017
Varied position with multi tasking at the core.

Some challenges with changes to funding and environment. Management detached and no support in place.

Good rates of pay and fantastic holidays.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Challenges and management issues.
Constructive supervisory team
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Preston1 February 2017
My PhD supervisor, as well as my PhD team and all the other members of staff that I worked with were very supportive in all my actions and helped me to grow both as a student and as a junior academic.
Execellent experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, UK28 January 2017
Working for UCLan has given me the confidence and the skills to apply as a Biomechanist.
The work was enjoyable, highly infectious, as are the academic faculty I have had the pleasure of working with.
I would recommend, if given the opportunity, to experience what UCLan has to offer, especially in the Centre of Applied Sports and Exercise Science (CASES) school.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
None come to mind
Excellent
Hospitality Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston15 August 2016
All the staff are friendly and approachable.
They have a genuine interest in student welfare.
Equal workloads and trusted with ownership.
Flexible
Special Project Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Preston19 May 2016
flexible work options and wide availability of different types of work allowing variety making it more enjoyable. Good rates of pay higher than minimal wage.
Rewarding work which greatly strengthens ability to communicate effectively.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Preston22 March 2016
The most pertinent aspect of the role is the delivery of campus tours to prospective students and helping to guide and direct people on our applicant days.

A well-structured system in delivering notification to Ambassadors of when work is going to be available with a week's notice, with regular availability. Possible to go for a long time without work if too busy with other commitments, just as it is possible to work as much as possible while free to do so.

An excellent way to develop personal skills and confidence in a familiar environment while earning a fair wage without the job itself infringing on our ability to pursue our studies.
Pros
Working when able to fit it around studies rather than defined requirement
Cons
Unpredictable demand for work
A fun, busy workplace
Bar staff at Source (Current Employee) –  Preston2 March 2016
An atmosphere filled, fun student union bar teeming with identity and the university lifestyle.

Working within the student union bar has required me to work in not only a bar but a club, function and comedy club venue requiring me to adapt to different bar environments keeping me on my toes.

I have enjoyed working at this establishment.
Very Productive Workplace
Pracitcal Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Preston9 August 2015
Great place to work, very productive, every day is different and your confidence will grow and you skills will develop further by working there.
Development of a 3D reconstruction tool
Internship Computer Vision (Former Employee) –  Preston, ENG26 July 2015
I had to develop a 3D reconstruction tool on Matlab using the principle of Photometric stereo.

I started from scratch and had to learn about the principle, read a lot of documents before I could start programming.
productive workplace
Associate Lecturer (Former Employee) –  preston2 July 2015
Teaching third year screenwriting students taught me to give creative and constructive feed back on their work. management was good. co workers excellent and supportive.

Hardest part of the job was having to leave as only temporary contract.

Most enjoyable part of job was seeing a student I taught win a literary award at graduation ceremony.
Pros
Open teaching methods allowed. good rescources
Cons
no cons. if you do what you love you never do a days work in your life
Good pay for a research intern & excellent experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  ENG31 May 2015
Working with excellent researchers and lecturers, excellent facilities and a good working environment.

Allowed a certain amount of autonomy - this was probably down to the particular researcher I was working with.