University of Cambridge Employee Reviews

Hide-bound and Archaic Culture
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge11 October 2017
Working for the University of Cambridge sounds like a dream job, but far from it. The University is so in love with its long history that it seems to actively resist modern workplace practices. Its attitude to disabled staff is egregiously, dangerously muddled and old-fashioned. Avoid like the plague if you are disabled in any way. Departments simply do not cooperate and many systems in place, such as IT support or purchasing appear to be arranged solely for the convenience of those providing them, not the users. It takes weeks to get anything basic done that would take about two hours anywhere else. To add insult to injury, they pay staff approximately one spine-point equivalent less than other universities for the same role.
Pros
Limited local retail discounts
Cons
Location, Pay, Attitudes, Values, Facilities.
This is daft
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Zoology12 May 2017
I work in one small group - I have no idea about the rest of the University.

But in my situation, I had a person disaster and my boss was just ruthless about time and money. Wouldn't give an inch.
Good place to train
Trainee Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 March 2017
A useful and insightful training experience. Training with one of the leading Universities in the world has been enjoyable as well as challenging. I look forward to completing the course.
Pros
Good standard of training
Doctorate researcher
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire13 February 2017
Great place to work and study. I had the chance to conduct work in very interesting projects and conduct leading-edge research.
Prestigious, high performing and inspiring
Behavioural Scientist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire25 January 2017
This is the best environment for ambitious academics to thrive, and keep all opportunities open. I have had the opportunity to grow all my centres of interests through various research projects. I learnt skills ranging from data analysis, scientific paper writing, public relations and communications, to teaching.
Fascinating collections but obtuse management
Junior Library Assistant (Grade 1) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge University Library11 January 2017
This was an interesting building to work in and I really appreciated the opportunity to work with such amazing collections. I loved that aspect of my job.

I was very motivated but ended up feeling completely demoralised. There was considerable disdain for junior members of staff. Management decisions were otiose and opaque.

I loved the specific role I eventually moved into in the library and felt that I had found my niche. This role was very varied and interesting given the collections we were dealing with and I enjoyed helping the readers who were usually very appreciative. If I had been allowed to continue in this role I probably would still be working in the library.
Pros
amazing interesting collections
Cons
management/hierarchy
great place to work
Interim HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge1 November 2016
I enjoyed working at Downing. The working environment was beautiful, calm and relaxing. My colleagues were co-operative and team work excellent. I would recommend anyone to work here
Pros
Environment, free lunches
Cons
salary
enjoyable and rewarding
chief custodian (Current Employee) –  Cambridge22 August 2016
typical day at work, opening the office and workshop.
tenants come to the office to collect parcels left by the royal mail, and any other enquiries, and report faults within their flats to myself. a general walk of site comprising of 204 individual apartments checking emergency lights, plant rooms, and corridors for breakages and faults. to assist with outside contractors, and to aid them personally around the site.to liaise with my line manager, and any other person from head office to maintain the smooth running of the accommodation apartments.
general maintenance within apartments for repairs.
hardest part of my job was letting go, when on holiday and weekends.
most enjoyable part of my job conversing with tenants from all over the world, making new friends, helping newcomers to settle in to a new city, and sorting out any maintenance issues big or small quickly :) .
Pros
on site living
Cons
living on site
Ambiente lavorativo stimolante e all'avanguardia
Research Scientist (Intern) in Genetics (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom29 May 2016
L'Università di Cambridge è una prestigiosa università in cui si fa ricerca in maniera professionale, seria, stimolante, innovativa, efficiente.
ok
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge24 May 2016
It is an intersted place to work. it is a very international place to work. However, it can be quite a competitive atmostphere. cambridge is nice but its very expensive.
Flexibility
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge9 February 2016
* Perfect job for work and life balance, and highly flexible job.
* High reputation and high working colleagues
* If temporary or fixed term, no guarantee for extension.
Supportive and Encouraging
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG19 October 2015
My day is varied and interesting. I help a number of people, in different ways by processing their expenses and ordering an assortment of items and objects from pens to chemicals through our on-line purchasing system. I also type and scan their letters and documents.

I work 10 hours a week on an imaging research project for one particular professor and work hard to keep the project up to date and relevant, inputting patient data. I attend a meeting each week where patient images are reviewed and ideas and plans are discussed and conclusions are reached.

I help organise student teaching, send encouraging reminder emails to lecturers and all in all, I am the sheepdog of the Department, coaxing, corralling and nipping at people's heels to help them do the best for the Department, and in the process, hopefully getting what they need from the Department.
a well organised and managed work place
College Supervisor & Lab Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG23 September 2015
Although it was a part-time job, it was still well organised by the department or the college. I usually need to work 12 hours during the week, giving students lessons in small groups to cover the teaching materials and discuss their assignment. It was a very useful experience for me as I need to talk to students from different backgrounds and make the best teaching plans based on each student's personality and understanding levels to the materials so that they can learn the most from my lessons. This is also the most challenging part of this job as I have to present the materials in different ways to the students in order to help them to learn. At end of each term, I also need to give a report evaluating each student's understanding level to the materials and their progress.
great academic environment
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG16 September 2015
good academic environment. Career progression is difficult due to competitive funding. hence contracts are mostly temporary which creates job insecurity.
Good Place to work.
Temporary Museum Attendant/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG23 July 2015
Lovely place to work amongst all the history of time.

Management was very good and particular.
Job was great once got into a routine for myself.
Pros
management was very good
Good employer
Study Administrator/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Biomedical Campus22 May 2015
Working for the University of Cambridge at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus is a good experience. Unfortunately when your role is a research based, the position is not secured ( when funding ends that's it you are out of work)
Productive and fun workplace
Licenced Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG10 May 2015
Overall, a very enjoyable experience and I have progressed at a good pace.

There is a good structure and plenty of opportunity to progress and a good future on the horizon for the university.
Pros
People
Cons
People lol.
Interesting and cutting edge science
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG20 October 2014
A typical day at work involves checking incoming emails, mail and telephone messages. Checking finances, making travel arrangements, setting up meetings and organising venues and refreshments. I have learned a lot here especially about technology. My co-workers are dedicated with a work hard, play hard attitude. The hardest part of the job is knowing when to say No. The most enjoyable is being able to be creative, setting up spreadsheets, and helping to free up busy time for others to get on with their own jobs.
An excellent experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG24 June 2014
I've been working freelance for the University of Cambridge, Institute of Continuing Education for nearly 18 years and it has always been a very rewarding experience. The management of the Institute is consistently professional and friendly and over the years I have gained a great deal of insight and confidence in teaching adult learners.
Sometimes teaching a course can be physically demanding - on your feet and projecting for hours etc - but it is well worth the effort.
Pros
Interested students who bring their life experience to course, Lovely environment to work in, Good food!
Cons
No job security, no pension etc
Friendly office
Accounts (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG21 March 2014
My day starts at 8.30 - I then look through my trays for on-going work to complete - process invvoices, re-charge Departments for work completed. File, photocopy, scan documents. Answer telephone queries and requests.Deal with Statements.

I work with 2 other staff in our Accounts office.

Hardest part of the job is driving (very slowly) from the outskirts of Cambridge to my job on the Addenbrooke's site!

Most enjoyable - fulfilling my tasks efficiently.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Cambridge. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Cambridge Reviews by Location