University of Bristol Employee Reviews

very productive
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 December 2017
Excellent place to learn and grow. Personally enjoyed working here and improving my career skills . Research is the most enjoyable part of the job. Although facilities are distributed along the university people are very cooperative and helping
good
Great workplace
Administrative Assistant (apprentice) (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 November 2017
I enjoyed working at Bristol University. There was a positive working environment, staff are friendly and helpful. There were good opportunities for career progression, and it was a most delightful and rewarding experience.
Excellent research environment
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 October 2017
The university is a great place to study for a PhD. You get to be part of a world class research group in a exciting dynamic city (although the rent can be quite expensive)
Pros
Good facilities and reputation
Cons
expensive rent and beer
Fun workplace
GCSE & A level Maths tutor (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 October 2017
Good experience in voluntary work, responsibility given in student environment. Easy to liaise with university officials and professionals around Bristol.
Muy bien
Asistente técnico (Former Employee) –  Bristol20 September 2017
Una buen ambiente para trabajar y conocer otros personas profesionales y estudiantes.
Great place to live and work, but expensive
Postgraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol6 September 2017
As a postgrad student, you won't enjoy being here. The cost of living is expensive, and the weather is horrible. The only thing that makes up for this is the lovely city, though the people are not as welcoming as other places in the UK.

The University is real nice, though wish I could say the same about the culture. The "I am better than everybody else" mentality may put some people off.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Expensive
Flexible Shift working pattern
Technician (Current Employee) –  Langport, Somerset20 July 2017
Stress less environment and flexi-time off nature plus University holidays/ closure days. Working with International students and lecturers can gain Global knowledge/ experience as well as learning some languages/customs of their country.
Pros
in house free parking space
Cons
no overtimes
Promotes critical thinking
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 June 2017
It was a great place to learn how to give and receive criticism. My mentors were the best role models and they showed me how to phrase constructive criticism.
Really Enjoyable Place to Work as a Student
International Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 April 2017
Great team in the International Office that provided high level of training. Working during the welcome weeks as an ambassador can be very rewarding and will require strong communication and teamwork skills.
Summer internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol22 March 2017
As a summer internship student I gained a lot of useful experience working in a laboratory environment working with a world leading research group. Very enjoyable.
Career advancing
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 March 2017
Excellent university, world leading research. You can definitely make a name for yourself at Bristol, however the work life balance isn't always great and there is a lot of pressure to publish but that is the same in most universities as that is how they get their work out.
University of Bristol
Technician (Dept) (Former Employee) –  Bristol1 February 2017
Good learning period for me the colleagues were friendly and very helpful when required. The was a lot for me to learn and the team leader always made sure that I had the support whenever I needed it.
Pros
Very friendly
Cons
Regimented
Interesting and challenging place
1st Line IT Support (Former Employee) –  Bristol26 January 2017
My whole experience at the University was very educational and interesting. Interacting with highly educated individuals e.g professors and getting a glimpse of cutting edge research which is used in today's world was the most interesting thing for me. My whole team helped me settle into the role and made me feel at home everything we did felt like a team effort all the times. My mentor taught me a lot about how to deal with situations in an IT environment which i suppose use in other situations in life too. I suppose the hardest part of the job was having to provide support to 4 different buildings on a daily basis. One of the buildings was a bit far from the other 3 so to satisfy everyone was a bit difficult but fun at the same time. I got to meet people from all over the world
Pros
Using impressive computer systems and team lunches
Productive and fun workplace
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol18 January 2017
University of Bristol is a great employer, with lots of opportunities arising for career progression. The salary and work/life balance benefits are great.
Lots of banter with work colleges,
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Clifton15 September 2016
I worked as a Security Office between the years of 1985-2006.
I enjoyed working for a secure organisation + the challenge of meeting a wide range of very interesting intelligent people from different countries to mine, + working for the University and wearing the University uniform + attending the many courses.
Pros
Secure employer Good holidays, Pension, Redundancy Free Uniform., Excellent courses
Cons
Early starts 6 am + late finish 10 pm Weekend Bank holiday work.

Comment – 6 June 2017

I started work as Security Officer at Bristol University in 1985.
I had previously been a student + worked for a number of temporary jobs + attended short courses so arriving at Bristol University in a uniformed job was very welcome.
The University of Bristol is a good employer offering staff a range of company benefits including;
Pros
1) Good holidays,
2) Improved pay over the years + shift, weekend enhancements,
3) Good company pension scheme + redundancy,
4) Free uniform + excellent courses.

Cons
1) Early starts of 6 am + late finish 10 pm shift work (no night work).
2) Lots of weekend including bank holidays.long week 56 hours
3) Physical demands.

In general the University of Bristol was a great place to work.

Rewarding, challenging and enjoyable
Transport Manager (Projects) (Current Employee) –  Bristol7 September 2016
The University of Bristol is a very good employer, offering staff a range of benefits, including generous annual leave entitlement, good rates of pay, reputable pension scheme and flexible working. I would recommend the University of Bristol to anybody seeking employment either in Bristol or the education sector.
Productive Real World experience
Student (Current Employee) –  Bristol12 June 2016
As part of the University of Bristol medical degree curriculum I am given the opportunity to shadow healthcare professionals across a board of specialties, in all disciplines from nursing staff to physiotherapists, occupational therapists and hospital doctors. This has given me an appreciation and understanding of the requirements and responsibilities of various roles in the hospital
Productive and fun environment
PHD RESEARCHER (Current Employee) –  Bristol27 April 2016
Demanding
Interesting
Result and goal oriented
Research based
Well known for articulate research
Industrious
The company and co-workers are fun to work with
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  South West1 April 2016
I worked at both the University of Bristol and Science Learning Centre South West as a lab technician supporting workshops for school visits and providing support for PGCE students in the sciences. Although this was a full-time permanent role it was below my level of expertise and proved to be uninteresting after the first six months.
Pays the bills
cleaner (Current Employee) –  Bristol25 November 2015
Its hard working job, can be a bit tedious, and the early mornings affect your sleep pattern. But does allow you to have the afternoons free to yourself.
Pros
Good amount of holidays, Paid sick days
Cons
Early hours, boring, repetitive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Bristol. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2