UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON Employee Reviews

Productive Fun Workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex2 November 2017
Working at The University of Brighton was really fun because the people you work with were realy nice and always helpful at anytime with anything it was a fun place to work, it also gave me a lot of experience. and you always see different people around. However the company it self wasn't the best with the payments and organising staff. For the payments they always had an excuse that they didn't have a copy of your passport or your NI number or something else and sometimes the payments were late but they did pay. However
a part from that over role it was a realy good job but i had to quit because they always had a problem with my payments and at the end i could only do part time and they just need for full time.
Pros
I was paid at my break time.
Cons
The work wasn't divided correctly and some did more work than others.
Working at Brighton Uni
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 October 2017
A great job with little commitment alongside studies (as it was a zero hour contract). Allowed me to develop my public speaking skills as well as integrate well into the wider university community.
fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton10 September 2017
Good pay hours and people with lots of flexibility on working hours and a fun team to work along side. They provide full training and are always willing to help.
Pros
fun
Cons
temporary contracts
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 September 2017
This was a great opportunity to take during my final year of studies. I was able to improve my communication skills, learn to sell a institution to applicants and help applicants with an inquiries.
Fun and easy
Student (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex27 June 2017
very easy and nice to follow, I was able to make an easy way to perform applications with my CV and it was quick and simple to follow when applying with a company
Secure, but no career prospects
Marketing Officer (Current Employee) –  Brighton18 April 2017
Full of a mix of lovely hard-working people supporting many who just coast along.

Whilst the university is ambitious it struggles to act upon its plans -
the lack of clear simple processes and siloed mentalities between departments clogs up people's time with unnecessary work and prevents any meaningful change taking place. Many of the senior managers have been in place for 20+ years.

The university is very family friendly but unfortunately, the trade-off is a poor salary and limited career progression. The lack of rewarded annual reviews/performance management also encourages many colleagues across the business to just do what's required.
Pros
Good pension, 30 days holiday after 5 years, flexible working and family friendly.
Cons
Expensive onsite food, poor salaries, no career progression opportunities, no annual review process or bonuses.
Ever changing envoirenment but Productive & Fun
Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Sprinters Restaurant Hillbrow Campus Eastbourne13 April 2017
I enjoy working at the University because the majority of the people are warm and friendly
The work can be hard and demanding but also very rewarding and satisfying
I have learned a lot while I have been working here and I will have fond mermories of the place and the people I work with
Pros
Monday to Friday
Cons
Very unpredictable what numbers you need to produce for and when and how many
Very Low Quality University
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Brighton29 November 2016
It's a typical teaching university. The School of Computing doesn't do any serious research and the support from the University is minimal. If you want to be just a lecturer is fine if you want to advance your career as a research it's a place to avoid.
Pros
Salary is good but not significant good.
Cons
Long hours of work, bad management
Fun co workers and team leader
Active pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Moulsecoomb and Bevendean27 November 2016
Supportive team leader, I love working with my fellow pharmacy sudents, I have learnt to take responsibilities of my actions and also be attentive, going out to meet elders and also their carers is so much fun as we learn about their medications and how to correct them if necessary under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist
stressful and unsupportive
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 November 2016
Over the past few years I found the University a very stressful and unsupportive place to work. I became disillusioned working with people who no longer appeared to have the focus I believed was necessary to equip students for the workplace. Many academic as more concerned about their own progression at the cost of others
Fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brighton8 November 2016
Excellent experience to be gained, awesome team to work with, perfect management, fascinating environment and we could expect more than what we have been given
Great Fun
Student (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 August 2016
It was brilliant place to go to university and was glad I chose to go there. Brilliant for students and the staff were always helpful
Student
Student ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brighton23 July 2016
Perfect University to study automotive engineering. Brighton very beautiful city with many opportunities. Many students and nice weather.
Nice working environment
Temporary Student Telephone Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 July 2016
Good management and a strong teamwork work ethic. Typical day involves a quick update meeting before work commences and communication within the company is very good.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
Repetitive nature of the job and pay is a month in arrears
productive
Open Day Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton27 June 2016
It was required of me that I provide effective customer service and manage tasks under timed conditions. There were many tasks such as replenish stocks at the clothing aisle to the frozen aisle. I have gained a broad knowledge in the retail sector.
Pros
free lunches
productive
Deputy catering manager (Current Employee) –  Falmer13 June 2016
nice place to work if you like work with students. great opportunity to development . good relation with management and co workers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
sometimes long hours
easy workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brighton8 June 2016
part time event work, easy employment for a student. competitive as it works on a first come first serve basis, however they have always informed me of upcoming work days throughout the time i was at university.
Good work environment and flexible for students
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton28 April 2016
Working with the University of Brighton was good to do as a student as they were flexible with working hours and the work environment was great.
Pros
Good placement for students
Cons
not many shifts available
University
Student (Former Employee) –  Brighton17 March 2016
Studied extremely hard and dedicated my life to my work with great passion and determination. Overall i had a great experience at university and would love to go back.
Fun workplace
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Brighton14 March 2016
I was a tour guide here as a student representative. It has been very fun and rewarding. I have worked there at every open day since I joined the university.