University of Birmingham Employee Reviews

Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 February 2018
Great place to work, friendly staff
Flexible working hours
Great atmosphere
I was part of the temping staff so managed to work in a few different departments during my time working there. I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
was a great place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 February 2018
due to changes in the management .i.e. bringing in managers from other departments who have no idea about security. the section has been going down ever since . morel is so low now absenteeism is a huge problem. many very good officers left when the new changes were introduced . managers do not listen to concerns. section ruined . enough said
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
bad management all the way to the top
fun place
Reception assistant in the Guild of student (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 January 2018
I was responsible for receiving students, staffs, and visitors at the front desk by greeting, welcoming, directing and announcing them appropriately, I also answered screening and forwarding incoming phone calls. Moreover, I helped to receive, sort and deliver daily mails to different departments in the guild of student. During this job, I gained the organizational skills, I effectively built multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks. I also strengthened my communication skills to be more concise and to the point.
Great job
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 January 2018
Absolutely loved working for the Guild of Students whilst being a student myself. The work was very challenging but also very rewarding. I learnt many skills, including patient, understanding and communicational.
Pros
Great team, brilliant management
Cons
Work was quite difficult and often challenging
Management bullying and a lack of development
Administrator (Former Employee) –  University of Birmingham31 December 2017
The University has gone from a fantastic, motivating and warm environment to an unpleasant place to work. There is a nasty culture of management bullying and age discrimination practiced at this institution..

The supportive environment students are used to is being replaced by a generic and inefficient service with top heavy management who refuse to listen. If you voice concerns you are labelled a trouble maker and experienced staff are demoted and phased out.
Pros
Good annual leave allowance
Cons
There are no promotional opportunities for older staff.
Not for me
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 November 2017
I liked the people there that I worked with. But the rest of the job I just did not enjoy and the pattern was getting too much. I had to leave for my own good
Pros
People/ Comunity
Cons
Very early starts. Didn't know how you were doing on the job. Messed up my health and wellbeing.
great
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 October 2017
loved working their loved the kitchen staff great head chef taught me the ropes of how a professional kitchen runs and operates .
all in all its a great stater course for someone who want to get into catering our wants to be chef .
community spirit
Programme Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 October 2017
Can be exceptionally busy at certain times of year. The UOB is like working in its own town. Students can be very trying at times but can also be wonderful to work with, with different cultures etc. Deadlines can be difficult at times particularly during exam time and a good relationship with the academic staff is essential. The camaraderie can be wonderful. Though at times workloads can be unbalanced between staff which should be monitored more carefully.
Pros
good academic colleagues
Cons
workloads can be unbalanced between staff
Fun workplace
Senior Security Assistant/ Door Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 September 2017
Working as a security assistant at the University of Birmingham was a fun team to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team and dealing with an issue quickly and efficiently.
Good work ethic
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 August 2017
Very flexible, zero hour contract so can choose what shifts to take depending on your studies at the time.

Good training to make you feel comfortable in the role.
Pros
Free lunches
productive
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 August 2017
I gained the confidence to meet new people and explore different characters and cultures. I have been given many opportunities to expand my knowledge, particularly on diversity, which I was most keen to utilize.
Good money, but hard to get work hours
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 August 2017
Paid very well at nearly £10 an hour but there are so many workers on the list that it is very difficult to get hours some times. When working the staff were nice and work environments was good.
Cooperation and good communications
PhD Research Student (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 August 2017
Overall good experiences have been gained. Good environments for study and excellent cooperation for research.

Good teaching opportunity in tutorial and labs were given for the PhD students t enhance their abilities.
As a student
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Edgbastion, UK4 August 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a student at UoB and was challenged throughout by the professors and my peers. The course work was on target preparing me to work in my given field and setting me apart through the courses and exposures I had.
Good Workplace
Teaching Associat (Former Employee) –  Arts Building18 July 2017
Teaching History seminar modules for first-year undergraduates. Involved small group teaching, academic writing sessions, administration, feedback and essay marking. Also ran a Research Methods and Dissertation Supervision module for second-year History students, running academic writing workshops and tutorials.
Junior Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham14 July 2017
Enjoyed working here in a relaxed yet focused environment. I liked the management which gave me freedom to get on with my work without micro management.
My Project
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Chemical Engineering10 July 2017
The project I am doing at the university of Birmingham is engaging, leading to a personal enrichment as well as a professional growth. I would recommend it as a work place.
lovely workplace environment
General Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 July 2017
Although it was just a work experience I was made to immediately feel as part of the team. The university of Birmingham is a great place to work with multiple progression opportunities.
One of the best Universities in United Kingdom
Designing of Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy Controller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham UK2 July 2017
I was a student in Univeristy of Birmingham. It has a very friendly environment. It has very high end educational eqiupments. Regarding group project and individual project, since the Univeristy professors are among the best and all facilities for studying is available, students do their projects with the best outcome.
good job progression opportunities
Sales (Current Employee) –  Edgbaston, West Midlands28 June 2017
Good opportunity to progress, employee benefits are good, especially holiday and annual leave entitlement. Good structured organisation, enjoyable atmosphere.