University College London Employee Reviews

Stimulating place to study and work
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  London6 October 2017
UCL has great research facilities and work culture. University is leading research centre for many disciplines. Great student support facility and networking opportunities.
Fun job
Student Ambassador/Transition Mentor (Current Employee) –  London22 September 2017
The job consisted of many different objectives, most of which we were prepared through training. Great alternative for students that don't need to work 30 hrs a week.
People and company
CAFM Lead Consultant (Current Employee) –  Euston11 September 2017
Highly recommend people to work here, a fantastic place to be. really enjoy, the work balance, working from home. very relaxed environment. took me 2 months to memorise the whole buildings on the portfolio, over 400 properties.
Pros
people are fantastic
Cons
some managers can be devias
Productive and challenging workplace.
Printroom manageress. (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 September 2017
I am able to comment that although I was only a teenager I got a good salary and a Cheese and Wine Party as the youngest ever management position they had employed since King Henry the 8th had opened it. The litho print machine wasn't there then. It was excellent employment and I left to start a family.
Fun Environemnt
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 July 2017
Got along very well with colleague's, we were like a family as the team over time grew smaller and closer. The job was very straight forward, it was not a chore to go in to work as the environment was friendly.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere
Cons
Was only temporary
Ambiente de trabajo competitivo, pero buen balance con la vida personal
Investigador (Current Employee) –  Londres16 July 2017
Mi experiencia en UCL está siendo positiva. La universidad dispone de recursos para adquirir equipos sofisticados y utilizar los software más modernos. Un factor a destacar es la multiculturalidad de los grupos de investigación.
Poor
Science student (Former Employee) –  London16 July 2017
Lack of organisation, long hours and very mundane area. A lot of commuting is needed, no set tasks, very long and consecutive hours. Not engaging enough.
Pros
Cons
Too long
collaborative
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  London19 April 2017
collaborative enviornment, good working ethos, lots of ideas and lots of forums to express this. vibrant atmosphere, good balance of work and life balance
One of best universities I've ever been to
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  London20 March 2017
Place with a very good education and a high-level research. It is the largest postgraduate institution in the UK by enrolment and is regarded as one of the world's leading multidisciplinary research universities.
You have to work hard but you can advance your career
PhD student (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 March 2017
You have to work hard but you can advance your career working for UCL. As always, academia is not great for keeping a goof life/work balance but this is especially true in high-ranked universities. Job security is not guaranteed if you are not proactive in searching and applying (preferably successfully) to research grants.
Pgta
Post Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London14 February 2017
As researcher we are always part of team, and I shown myself to be a good listener and good contributor of sharing views to make work easy and possible in scheduled time limit.
A very fun place to work ......Great individuals all round
Field Worker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London12 January 2017
I currently work here, and the staff and management have been really good to me and my colleagues. Overall, i'm really happy. The company support all their staff , especially in training and staff improvement A very diverse work place with lots of cultures.
Pros
Very supportive towards staff
Cons
Can improve on the communication between staff and the hierarchy
Overall good
Orthopaedic Practitioner? phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 December 2016
Typical day.
preparing clinics, organising and prioritising ward patients. blood test s for surgery patients. applying and removal of casts. wound care and general cleaning and safety practice.
Research Job
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  London14 November 2016
Working under Frances Brodsky on Clathrin heavy chains 17 and 22 and investigating their role in membrane bending as well as GLUT4 transport important to Diabetes.

Insect Cell Culture,
FACs
Microscopy

The management is not very efficient but it is something I have grown to deal with.

Colleagues are nice and helpful but the interaction stays within the lab. There isn't much going on between colleagues after work.

Hardest part of the job is to have to report to someone about anything and everything. It is a bit of a curb to my independence and freedom to experiment and give suggestions.
Fun experience
Mentor (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  London9 November 2016
During the mentor Programme, I could meet new people form different countries. The main aim of this program is to help those new students get used to UCL and London, i.e. to help them settle down to their study and living in London. I enjoy this volunteer experience although it is free, since this can help me to communicate with new people and build my experience.
Environment de travail agreeable
RESEARCH MANAGER (Current Employee) –  London3 November 2016
Très bon endroit ou travailler si poste de recherche, moins agréable si autre choix de parcours professionnel.
Coolk place to work - no hassle
Personal Assistant, Team Support (Current Employee) –  London, Kings Cross1 November 2016
One of the better places to work in London- good pension package, competitive salary.

The University is a leader in its field and is London's Global University leader in research; Languages and has a very high rating in the League Tables.
Pros
Staff is valued
Cons
Salary could be more
Being part of the next generation of academic staff and students who are seeking ways through education to change the world.
Departmental Office Manager (Former Employee) –  London, United Kingdom26 July 2016
A typical day the Office Manager working for the Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering department at UCL entailed many different aspects to the running and administration of a public building which was a challenging environment to work in but by no means a daunting task to get the job done.

My duties as the Office Manager were contributing to the day-to-day running of the department.

Typing, filing, printing and answering telephone, handling general enquiries, receiving and assisting visitors, dealing with post, couriers, assisting with travel arrangements for the group members, managing arrangements for visitors, arranging meetings, refreshments and catering for the group events.
Overall responsibility for the coordination and scheduling of conferences, meetings and other events collaborating with research teams and organisations outside UCL
Designing the work space for open offices, co-ordinating with estates and architects, allocation of storage space, purchasing of new furniture, re-distribution of current furniture and co-ordination with staff and students
Liaising with UCL’s Estates and Facilities Division regarding office arrangements and the day-to-day maintenance issues (including telecommunications, security access & cleaning)
Main reception duties

I learned that through applying good communication skills and the ability to get the job done were attributes which were highly effective to run the professional services administration team and taking action to prioritise in advance with updating the departmental dairy for booking meetings,
  more... seminars, conferences and lecture rooms.

Throughout my six years of working for University College London as the front of house reception Office Manager I was encouraged to develop new administration Ideas to streamline paperwork and train new members of staff to use existing database and new systems which were being upgraded annually. Mandatory training courses were applied and completed using teaching resources supplied through online tools and external teaching consultants. Having completed the following FCE Management ... Field Work Risk Assessment ... Fire Evacuation Marshall E-Learning ... Assertiveness in the work place. Oracle Finance Moodle and Portico Student database information.

I successfully managed the front office and one other member of staff came under my supervision.
I Managed conferences, events, catering, hotel and travel bookings for external stakeholders.
My role was the point of reference for new building projects and I developed close working relationships with project managers and architects.
I managed the building so that no unforseen hazards would occur and took necessary action to infrom esworking closely alongside the estates facilities division, project Managers and architects I was the liaison of the department concerning OH&S. I managed the projects with regarding estate refurbishments to the building and managed the time frames for all users to the building during

e fore when having to think logically and disseminating information in a clear and concise manner with multi tasking work and applying myself to the task of Managing the front office of a department, that being a good communicator and interpersonal skills enhanced the which enabled me to have a can do attitude gave and interpersonal skills were essential in establishing a good service to all users of the building and if
Fun workplace that advocates equilities and diversity
Assistant HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  London21 July 2016
The family friendly policies make it attractive for every employee at every level of the organisation and also makes worklife balance a reality.

Equalities and diversity is at the top of the institution's agenda and the advancement of the equality of opportunity contributes to an atmosphere where staff feel they can be themselves while working to the best of their ability.
Pros
The workforce
Good employer
Manager (Current Employee) –  London17 July 2016
Pros-
good work life balance, working hours, pension provision, union representation and involvement. Good location, creche facilities. College closure days during Easter and Christmas.

Cons-
Starting to become much more corporate, overuse of temporary contracts & agency staff. Lots of outsourcing and consultants. Grade drifting on many posts. Staff leave or retire posts remain vacant and are not filled.
Pros
work life balance, working hours, pension provision
Cons
Starting to become much more corporate, overuse of temporary contracts & agency staff and outsourcing