UNITE Students Employee Reviews

beware its not what it seems
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  England16 November 2017
for the first 6 months my role was fine, then the screw started to turn, asked to do jobs not qualified to do ie look after boilers and electrical consumer units, threatened with disciplinary over the slightest thing.
asked to be flexible but this seemed to be one way...from my side.
had to fight to get holiday authourised, I had shifts changed without asking until i noticed it on the roster,i was off xams day then all of a sudden somebody else was off and i was working.
bullying in the workplace was rife,people scared to talk to senior management about it as they know they would not be protected, i had to contact acas and in the end join a union for protection
its a good job though if you are left to get on with it very rarely that you are though, as you are expected to help other depts which you were not made aware of when you took on the job
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
back stabbing
No where to go
Service and Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 September 2017
Despite having completed all the training possible i still remained in exactly the same position as when i started with the company.
too many unnecessary changes for no real reason
do not out the staff first and just have workshops to tick corporate boxes for the stakeholders
Good company to work for
Service & Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 August 2017
Great people to work with. Would highly recommend but think the pay could be a little bit more competitive. I worked in the emergency control centre as a customer service advisor and supported students. I also worked on a rota which had pros and cons. Pros I got to have sometimes up to four days off at a time. Cons that I had to work VERY unsocial able hours ie nights, weekends and bank holidays for no extra pay!
Great Workplace
Sales and Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London13 July 2017
A really great place to work - I can definitely say that I looked forward to coming to work, which is rare. I was offered a lot of job opportunities that I hadn't had the chance to work in before and was comfortable with my responsibilities. It was a job that I did not want to leave.
Fun place to work but can be stressful
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol11 May 2017
Typical day at work is answering emails and calls, handling complaints. Maintaining social media accounts. Selling rooms to students. Handling maintenance requests.
Pros
City visits
No acknowledgement or personal development
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London30 March 2017
Working for Unite Students has been ok experience.
Management did not seem to spot on how to improve /develop members of staff and educate long term employees to do their job instead of spending the whole day at Reception booking holidays or having chilled conversations with friends.Very pressure atmosphere especially if you are someone who wants to get things completed or rely on their team. No care from Management and no incentives for the people who are doing great job.
Pros
pay rise every year
Cons
management too soft on long term employees
Horrible experience
Maintenance Technician, Electrician (Former Employee) –  London17 February 2017
Management is Horrible, Salary base is below average, No overtime!
No training and developing staff.
If you have luck to be cousin or family of some of the manager you might be fine.
Pros
Never free lunch and even if you achive your assignment no bonus
Cons
TAR is 7 days a week 12-15 h a day for 2 months
Hka (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow1 February 2017
Good job prospects and encouraged to move up the ladder in the company good incentives encouraged to improve yourself and given help to do this great company to work for and would encourage anyone to work here
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
Over rated place to work
Safety Team Operative (Former Employee) –  North East9 January 2017
Management don't have a clue what they are doing and rely on people below them to pull them out of the muck shall we say.
They never listen to the staff that work at the sharp end and never learn by their mistakes from year to year.
Leave things to the last minute and everything ends up being a rush job.
Co-workers were spot on and knew the score just a shame management don't grasp the nettle and listen to what they have to say. A certain supervisor who will remain unamed was so far up his own backside and used to get away with murder and loved to wind people up and yet again not only did the City manager or Area management not listen to people regarding this individual and now its come back to bite them.
Pros
Cons
Don't always get a break on dayshift
Welcoming
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, Midlothian28 December 2016
I enjoyed my time working with Unite. My coworkers were so amazing, helpful and welcoming. The job itself was easy and manageable. I felt zero stress working there.
Kind and Supportive
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 December 2016
I had a lot of fun in a challenging and supportive environment. We took on a lot of information and had lots of room to progress further.
Good Workplace
Assitant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield4 December 2016
I have learnt a lot with this job, I gained a lot of experience where I built my team working skills and my time management. Where we were given a task and we completed that on time. We worked in groups to stock and inspect rooms which build connection with a lot of people from different cities. The best part of the work for me was working in groups as I build new relation which I am passionate about, this was a good chance for me to meet new people of my age. The staff in unite students were very friendly and flexible with the working hours.
Pros
Friendly staff
Good job , nice people
Painter / foreman (Former Employee) –  London8 November 2016
Painting walls and ceilings, and woodwork.
Security.
Management were OK .
Co workers were OK .
Quite an awkward job to get to by public transport.
Praise from management.
Pros
Inside wotk
Cons
Traveling
Busy work place
Check in runner (Former Employee) –  London24 October 2016
The staff at unite are nice and friendly to work with. My role was to take the students to their room and show them around the buildings. It was a good job and the pay was good
Fun place to work
Service and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth18 October 2016
Each day/Night is different. I work with a great team of people and working to help students take the next steps in life can be very rewarding. Good place to work
Poor management
Safety (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth11 October 2016
No training and very inexperienced management. Asked to work while the building was Dangerous without the use of the lifts while having to carry heavy boxes up the stairs. Also asked to do voluntary work. Avoid!
Pros
None in portsmouth but other areas seem better
Cons
Supervisors and higher management
Problem with rosters
Service and safety advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester1 October 2016
I enjoyed my time at Unite Students as a Service and Safety Advisor but I found the shifts difficult as the rota wasn't regular and only got the rota at the end of the end of the month for the following month. I have a small child and didn't think that was very family friendly so I had to leave.
Unprofessional management
Service and sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City23 September 2016
The local management has no people skills , no leadership ,no training program in place and no organization at all. All this create a really negative atmosphere at work and conflicts among staff members.
Pros
Salary and Bonus
Cons
The local management is really bad
Mafia type management.
Currently Safety advisor (Current Employee) –  North East17 September 2016
Students great to work with. Shift patterns written by a incompetent manager who spends more time looking in the mirror and chatting up female students. Rules broken by management team and other members who stab you in the back to progress up the career ladder. Staff having affairs and management aware but do nothing. The company are run by a bunch of chancers who are there to play God. Don't trust people who you work alongside and wear a stab vest as they will knife you in the back.
Pros
Students
Cons
Management, rule breaking. Face not fit, plot to get you out. AVOID THIS COMPANY.
Good staff .fun .
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool9 September 2016
Great teams/Salary reflects job role /.Fun./Fast paced/Security really good company for work balance .pension scheme .challage day to day
Pros
Company benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNITE Students. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9