Travelodge UK Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Very disappointing
Night reception (Former Employee) –  Scotland18 September 2017
Would never work here again, was very excited when offered night reception position, enthusiasm was soon squashed, was thrown in at the deep end, line working with inadequate training, not a safe environment when lone working, never once seen the manager after being offered the job, they get you in with all the right things but do not follow through, did not know the half of what I should've known to be in the position, poor pay for the work you put in,totally killed my enthusiasm to get back to work, confidence totally thrown
Pros
Nice people (even though you only meet a few)
Cons
Lone working, no feeling of safety, understaffed, inadequate training, poor management, to name a few
Fast moving environment with breakdown in communication
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  South East16 September 2017
Start the day by turning on phone and seeing jobs that need to be completed within at hotel in a 30 mile area sometimes more. Hours of work are 8.00 – 16.30 with half hour traveling either way from hotels so hours are 7.30 – 17.00 with half hour break. 23 days holiday including working bank holidays so below arrange and 8% bonus never happens.

Duties are everything from carpentry, flooring, tiling, electricals, plumbing, painting and decorating with all general handyman repairs in-between bigger jobs such as ceiling, flooring, lighting, plumbing replacements ect……. Very little support from management and you left on your own to find suppliers of building materials to carryout repairs and every hotel has different building materials so have to carry a lot of stock.

Job Response times are rev risks ‘any jobs logged before 14.00 most be attended same day ‘ P1 within 24 hours ‘ normally 5 – 15 a day ‘ and P2 within 5 working days ‘ normally 10 – 20 a day ‘

High turnover of staff as very fast moving environment and complete breakdown in communication and badly organised with little understanding from managements on the repairs needed or time required.
Pros
Staff and guests
Cons
Working hours, wages, overtime payments, working bank holidays, company targets, breakdown in communication, badly organised, management
The workplace is good and enjoyable
Night Receptionist (Current Employee) –  South Croydon, Greater London13 September 2017
Travel load he is always busy never boring and always stimulating I have throughly enjoyed working here even though it's tiring ... I have learnt new things every shift
Pros
Never boring
Cons
Night shift
Reliable company
Hotel Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Devizes, Wiltshire11 September 2017
I enjoyed working for Travelodge and have gained many skills to further my career.

Welcoming visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries. Directs visitors by maintaining employee and department directories; giving instructions.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Good company to work for with good benefits if under the right management!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire7 September 2017
The first Travelodge I worked In was great and management was great! The second hotel management was very poor and working conditions were appalling and no mandatory training was given! Management only cared for themselves!
Pros
Discount on rooms
Cons
Poor management in certain hotels
This was a great job
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Trowell, Nottinghamshire6 September 2017
This was a great job all the staff were incredibly accommodating and helpful. I enjoyed this job and the pay is great I'm leaving as I am soon to be back in collage. Due to this I would be at work or collage every day of the week as I'm only able to work mornings at travel lodge
Would not do it again
Receptionist/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Midlands5 September 2017
Tried the Receptionist job, really keen at first but my enthusiasm did not last long faced with inadequate training, bullying attitude of manager, completely unreasonable working conditions - no breaks, no toilet facilities available to staff. Meant to support housekeeping staff by basically doing their job and then told not supposed to leave reception ! Far too much responsibility for minimum pay. Health and Safety reg's for staff and guests non-existent. Manager completely unhelpful to any requests for advice and support. Would not work here again but would never stay there as a guest either!
Guests generally ok and pleasant but on the downside, expected to act alone and eject difficult guests for certain behaviour - noise, smoking in rooms, sneaking extra people in etc.
Most enjoyable part of the job was leaving.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
Good company
Chamber Maid (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex3 September 2017
Worked part time here. It was very hard work and a time management position but was never stressful as management always made all staff feel relaxed and at ease
Most housekeeping staff are very rude.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes31 August 2017
being a housekeeper at Travelodge is very stressful and rushed, as you only have a set amount of time too clean each room and you have to go straight into another room after you do one room as it is very rushed. I did not like working here at all.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No lunch break.
Part Time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow31 August 2017
It was hard to work in this job. I've learned about listing reading talking and writing skills I've enjoyed working there hard part was crowded people
Pros
Lunch with myself
Really stressfull
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire28 August 2017
Really stressful workplace company does not respect staff for how hard they work and hours that we put in only up side is meeting people and work colleges
Pros
Cons
Late nights rubbish pay for work u have to put in
Long hours but worth it
HEAD RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Essex23 August 2017
I enjoyed my time with Travelodge however I knew that I could not have continued within my role whilst commencing my university studies.
When the hotels have the right teams and managers, they are a wonderful place to work. My experience towards the end of my time with the company, greatly effected my decision on staying.
Too Much Expectation for Job role and Pay Given
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 August 2017
Expected to do everything as Manager and be accountable for everyone including building 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Middle and Senior Management take no responsibility. Blames manager on sites for budget restraints and for lack of investment in the Company bedrooms. KPIs are very unrealistic.
Lack of training and support given by Company
Beware
Pros
discount rates on hotel bedrooms
Cons
Long hours and expected as managers to work and be available 24/7
nice place to work for
Customer service (Former Employee) –  manager13 August 2017
good place to work with they look after staff and help them as much as they can very well paid do the hours get paid well and you can move up in the place into management
Pros
nice place
Cons
good company
very demanding friendly environment ok place to work
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Leicester11 August 2017
A typical day at work will be i will arrive and prepare all my things to clean the room. The management at Travelodge, the staff are very friendly and make me feel welcome but i feel there is a lot of pressure and the staff are not as understanding as they should be.
Pros
listening to music to help concentrate
Cons
hours ( time zones not long enough )
Official response from Travelodge UK
17 August 2017

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you get along so well with your colleagues. Managers will set targets and expectations on how long it should take to complete any work tasks but if you find any part of your role difficult or challenging to meet expectations, I would encourage you to speak to their line manager so they can support you.

Guest house keeper
Guest house keeper (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire9 August 2017
The company is rubbish treat cleaners badly and always blame them when anything goes wrong long hours short staffed underpaid for the work they have to do and then have to be critised for the work they do never complimented worst job ever
Understaffed and disorganised
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Hampshire8 August 2017
Started here expecting to do part time work. I got put on training and had to finish same time as the person I was put with, the place was understaffed with most of the housekeepers either on holiday, ill or just didn't turn up so I ended up finishing as late as 5:30pm which I did not sign up for. Stayed for a few days but finally had enough when I was training with one of the Housekeepers who was nice except she was the only Housekeeper in on that day so it was just us two cleaning the rooms plus the kitchen staff when they were free. The manager and the rest of staff were friendly and easy to get along with but with so little people working there everything was just so disorganised and the hours I was doing just didn't fit with my lifestyle so I left. Perhaps I just started at a bad time as one of employees the told me it was a good place to work at when it was fully staffed under the old management.
Pros
Occasional free food, good colleagues
Cons
Long hours, understaffed
Good company to work for.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 August 2017
It's a very good company to work for people are very polite and helpful. The hotel is very clean and has good measures to keep there customers safe and the hygiene standars are very good. I would definitely recommend the Travelodge hotel to my family and friends.
Pros
People are very polite
Cons
Not enough hours
Official response from Travelodge UK
10 August 2017

Many thanks for submitting your review. It’s great to hear that you'd recommend us to your friends and family. Even though we’re a big company now we still have a small company feel and we love that.

If you want a life choose a different company!
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire5 August 2017
Expectations to be on call 24/7 365days of the year. No support from management as majority don't understand the hospitality trade. Hotel teams however are great but ate underpaid for their role. Average day would be at least 10 hours and don't try and get the additional hours you have worked back because it will never happen.
Pros
Discount on rooms, discount on food, an nvq scheme for team members
Cons
Long hours, no acknowledgment, very little team work from management teams
Sales Advisor
Travelodge Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dudley2 August 2017
I like the challenge of hitting sale targets and the commission I got from the sales, the business was very flexible and a good place to work for and I was happy in the business.
Pros
Targets
Cons
Working Sundays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travelodge UK. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8