Toolstation Employee Reviews

Okay work place
Fork Lift Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire12 February 2018
Was a reasonable jib an well payed but they got me in on a contract as a reach truck driver and out me on a were house operatives job witch was not what I was looking too do at the time
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Unorganized
Okay place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Hounslow11 January 2018
I didn't learn anything new. The management were really bad our store was one of the worst. The cashiers knew more about the shop than the managers did.
Pros
Money
Cons
The people
bad
employee (Former Employee) –  Redditch5 January 2018
the hours did not suit anyones time frame, the only advanatge is some of the people you worked with were bareable to talk too, it was long hours with little breaks.
Shocking
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset29 December 2017
Worst place ever to work at, the whole time I was there I have been treated shocking, been accused of theft and they have done investigations behind my back and so have my colleagues, disgusted In how they treat people, they accuse you of theft and they don’t treat you well at all
Constantly run at bare minimum
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth27 December 2017
Part time but you might as well be full time as they change your days and hours as they feel like. Never sure who was in charge, too many cooks come to mind. Do not recommend at all.
Pros
Cons
Constant shift changes
15 minutes break over an 8 hours shift
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset3 December 2017
First company I've ever worked for that doesn't offer a second break over an 8 hours shift. Starting at 12.00 you get 15 minutes break until 8 o'clock (10 minutes when you consider going to fetch your stuff from the locker room and returning it before you start work again). Treated like kids, no phones allowed (unless you are a manager) - depressing atmosphere -
Not so engageing but slightly rewarding
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydenham, Greater London28 November 2017
rude customers, not so great management, hardest parts where keeping to shop standards while having hardly any assistance as we was always short staffed a lot.
Pros
discount, knowledge on stock, experience
Cons
communication, management
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Catford8 November 2017
Good place to work. good team building and fun people to be around. The management are very hard working and kind. the most fun part about the job is meeting costumers needs.
Its an ok job to have whilst looking for work but not a good long term job.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Havering, Greater London6 November 2017
A typical day as a CSR is working on the till with maybe a couple of hours working on delivery and if your closing you will be cleaning whilst covering the front. Poor management they often leave it to the last minute to give you your rota, expect to be contacted on your day off to come in at short notice, bad staff retention,bad attitude towards you if you are off sick, and if you don't have kids expect to do a lot of extra hours. The hardest part is when you have to sort out other peoples mistakes whilst serving a customer which happens daily. The most enjoyable part is the pay and the discount.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Poor management and work issues e.g misplaced stock
Nice work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Basildon6 November 2017
I enjoyed working for toolstation as the role was open to change and moving up the carer ladder.
I was a CSR but moved up to become a supervisor which was a great.
Friendly regular customers, awful management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset5 November 2017
Ridiculous double-standard management, long 9+ Hour shifts, tedious draining jobs (straightening thousands of totes), repeatitive put-downs, constant daily pressure of management visits etc...

Average salary, great customers, but bottom line tedious.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to work extra hours
Cons
Bad working enviroment
Avoid unless you want to ruin your life
Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South West30 October 2017
Store manager selfish and unsupportive ( Calls out of hours meetings and threatens with disciplinary action when unable to attend)
Regional managers don't care about you but are happy to expect the world from you for such little pay. Have gone weeks trying to contact but has avoided me and not given one second to listen to me.
Competitive with screwfix on product pricing but not salary!
GREAT PLACE TO WORK GREAT PLACE TO BUY
This new logo was released to stores but since then have yet to be given an example of why its a great place to work.
Poor working hours all to accommodate customers and get as much money out of them as possible. Vicious pressure to get more and more SALES! I'm all for growth but tactics employed cause stress to staff and given zero support in doing so plus no reward if targets are met!
Training poor! CSRs start and left to fend for self. Only myself out of 4 managers offer support to those struggling.
When concerns are raised to manager they get brushed under carpet
Then as already said when going to regional manager for additional support you'll be lucky to hear from them!
Get used to hearing their answer machine...
My life has been impacted massively working for this company.
Nothing but stress and hard work for poor salary and unsociable working hours. Couldn't tell you when i last had 2 days off next to each other despite it being very easy to manage!
Slave drivers.
Insult to injury the only day we close is XMAS DAY so absolutely zero time to enjoy the season with loved ones so again i'll say it no work/life balance!
Customers are rude
  more... at times and your expected to take the flak despite Toolstations outdated and cheap system.
I have many times received abuse from customers because Toolstations poor system has meant the customer has been wronged.
I have been told by customer support to go along with a lie they spun as they didn't want the customer to be aware they were at fault!! I obviously refused to go along with the lie the contact centre had told the customer.
Such a poor poor company.
Avoid at all costs. If you want a job in this sector id recommend screw fix (better pay,hours, more investment in staff, NOT STINGES LIKE TOOLSTATION!!)
Pros
Like minded staff. Its better than no job (something toolstation hold over you and they know it)
Cons
Upper management, working hours, fairness, life/work balance, holiday booking, xmas hours
bit chaotic
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tottenham, Greater London11 October 2017
Toolstation is an odd place to work. Bit disorganized on the rota and when you are supposed to work. Very often under-stocked. So often have to apologize to customers for having items out of stock.

Need improving on the shelving system so many times the system sends you to a location but the item you are trying to sell has been placed somewhere else without being updated. So its like finding a needle in a haystack.

A few times you would be so understaffed that you have to work through your lunch break.
It has got some good points but it requires a lot of patience.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
understaffed, have to work through lunch breaks, unstable rotas.
Productive and enjoyable work place
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne7 October 2017
A typical day at tool station being a customer service assistant is working on the tills, keeping customers satisfied and making sure the customer area is clean and tidy.
I learned many skills at toolstation, including how to deal with delivery, dealing with customers queries and questions, learning key information about the products you are selling.
The management team are excellent, I had college whilst working for them and they were brilliant at working the rota around my time table.
I wouldn't say any part of the job was hard as it was simple as long as you knew what you were doing.
The most enjoyable part of the job was customer service and speaking to customers making people smile.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
non
An okay place to work.
Stock Controller (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire4 October 2017
After 5 years experience I know its not the worst place to work but simply wish to move on, it sometimes appears like a sinking ship with nobody knowing what they are doing. Not hugely recommended.
Modern Day Mill
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  England4 October 2017
Secure employment due to success of business through low prices and great availabilty.
No life /work balance, just work
low pay for work input
little regional support
Pros
secure employment
Cons
poor renumeration, poor support
Good banter with customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lanarkshire23 September 2017
Good laugh and enjoyed it for the most part too many changes in staff ruined it pay is woeful shift patterns shocking if you are 16 hours a week y 4 days at 4 hours two 8 hour shifts would be better promotions for laziest staff for some reason have to brown nose if you want to progress really a stop gap while looking for something better stay away regional managers are bad and backstabbing is rife slating other members of staff and stealing money let go
Pros
Use phone eat drink smoke whenever
Cons
Standing staring into space all day bad management
Worst job i ever had
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster16 September 2017
Management are bullies. They do u on your holiday's claim that rota was messed up so save ur holiday forms or u will get done over like I was. U get disaplaned in training period what I think is wrong. How you expect people to learn when you make them feel like rubbish first week they're their simple mistake was turned into a bigger mistake due to this. I could go on but I want. Just adoid.
Worst job ive had
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon11 September 2017
Appalling management, rarely had my breaks, rotas were written badly and my shifts were Constantly being changed around mostly not to my knowledge which just isn't on for childcare arrangements ect I was turning up for shifts that I was no longer on and I was being being called because I hadn't turned up to a shift I knew nothing about!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire9 September 2017
Typical day is greeting customers, doing stock take, and putting away deliveries.

Excellent for training sessions.

Poor or lack of adequate management.

Good teams just do not work together.

The long hours which are expected.
Pros
early finishes