The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, Lancashire19 September 2017
It was fun to work for the Salvation Army and I met new people I learned how to price goods.The workplace culture was to be fair and unbiased toward other volunteers. The hardest part of the job was the lifting of heavy bags
Pros
met new people
Cons
Heavy work
Boring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow26 August 2017
Boring volunteer work, just did general unloading and tagging and colour coding all the clothes that came in. Could be pretty disgusting and lots of shoplifting.
Good work, shame about the structure
Officer (Former Employee) –  London26 August 2017
Great place to work obviously, but there is a big difference between the work you do and the way the people who work are treated. Sloppy management, people drafted in just to keep unworkable churches going, getting on is for a chosen few; and if you leave, no pension!
good working enviroment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City21 August 2017
I sort and price items for sale and also work at the cash register . I work one morning a week (09:00 to 13:00) . I learned how to work in a team . I did not find it hard work.
very worthwhile organisation with a real mission to help people transform their lives for the betterment of themselves, their families and their commu
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross17 August 2017
Covers all aspects of the spiritual, social and practical needs of all gagged of vulnerable people within our communities. The SA goes to great lengths to integrat all of the different parts of the Organisation to ensure staff know that they are working for the one Army. In Perth and Kinross the SA consists of the Corps which as well as the spiritual wellbeing of the community also provides facilities for mother and baby groups, youth groups and Old people's groups. The SA resettlement unit that I manage provides beds for homeless males while also providing opportunities to learn life skills, obtain and sustain their own tenancies and re engage with trading and education. The Community programme consists of 2 charity shops and a furniture prokect who recycle donated clothes and furniture throughout P and K with all proceeds going to help the vulnerable people within our communities.
Pros
family-friendly
Cons
low salaries
Good insight to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 August 2017
I did voluntary work here for school and it was good to have an insight into the working life. I enjoyed working here for a few months as it gave me something to do at the weekend.
team work, polite, respectful of circumstances.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Openshaw12 August 2017
I enjoyed my few days with the Openshaw branch as they are polite, hardworking and very respectful.
At the time i struggled with the commute and my health at the time.
I love the Salvation Army
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepton Mallet11 August 2017
I love working with The Salvation Army in Shepton Mallet because I love meeting people and I am a people person and I love to chat to the customers every day
Fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington7 August 2017
I was on a months work placement through the job centre and they sent me to the salvation's charity shop in Accrington, it was during the Christmas season so it got me in the mood and was really JOLLY. the staff were friendly and helpful too.
Pros
N.A
Cons
N.A
Best job ever
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Inverness4 August 2017
Great atmosphere always positive and everyone got on well together.

It was a pleasure working for the Salvation army and the clients were lovely too, although they sometimes had a of day but it never lasted for long.
Pros
Management get stuck in too
Cons
3o minute lunch break
Very good
Childcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carnforth3 August 2017
I have learned how to handle children when they are upset or angry and I try and think of ways around it. And the children are happy an d playful when I am there
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Need more hours
workplace
kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent30 July 2017
I enjoyed working to do the teas and coffees for the job search people and making sandwiches and working on the café severing and taking money and foodbank.
Pros
free lunches
Great Charity
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Accrington18 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed volunteering for The Salvation Army, it's a great charity and gave me many skills that I have carried forward into other careers.
fun worplace loved it
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire14 July 2017
I have been taken so well by salvation army , they have helped me so much trough my time working there and I would definitely advice someone to work with them as they are a great people and company to work for.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no cons
Lovely atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset12 July 2017
Enjoyed greeting customers and doing the shop window displays.
all staff were kind and easily explained what i was meant to be doing. could have done with a designated cleaner.
Pros
experience
it provides good learning step for those looking to work in social care and most specifically homeless and mental health
Project Worker (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Greater London10 July 2017
This organisation provides opportunity to that introduces social care experience to anyone looking to start a carer in social care. It exposes one to learn about social issues that people who are experiencing homeless and mental health faces and the resources that are available to empower and support services users.
Pros
Good starting point for learning about social care
Cons
limited carer development opportunity
Productive and fun place to work
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southsea, Hampshire10 July 2017
was with great joy I worked at The Salvation Army as volunteer, great place and great stuff to work with. Everyone helped each other, I used to work from Monday to Friday and was very good .
great workplace
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire3 July 2017
its a fun day at and i learned how to help other. the culture is very varied which i really liked. the most fun part of the job was interacting with others and communicating.
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Belfast2 July 2017
Supporting families undergoing parenting assessments whilst following policy, procedures and ethos of the salvation army. Supporting families to live independently whilst observing family dynamics and daily living tasks. The hardest part of the job is when you are working with a family who will not engage even when the consequences could be the removal of a child from the family due to non-engagement.
Seeing families grow and develop and return home to the community.
Pros
Developing communication skills
Cons
Care Vs control dilemmas
productive and fun workplace
Shop Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea30 June 2017
a typical day of volunteering includes ticketing clothes, sorting out donations and working at the till.
the most enjoyable part of volunteering is getting involved with customers of all ages and ethnicity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval