The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

decent
SHOP ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Blackheath5 November 2017
Worked in a part time voluntary role so salary the salary was non existent, however management and staff were very friendly and taught me valuable skills.
good
volunteering (Former Employee) –  Alloa2 November 2017
was a great wee place to spend time and help out. really enjoyed y experience there. They are a credit to what they do. i would definitely recommed to a friend
Fun place to volunteer
Shop Floor Worker / Delivery drivers assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury1 November 2017
I volunteered in Christchurch, New Zealand during a 12 month visit.

It was great to be a part of their cause, and meet some wonderful people.

Management were very friendly and grateful of any help offered to them.
Exciting and Diverse
Receptionist/Deputy Administrator (Former Employee) –  Whitechapel, Greater London31 October 2017
A typical day at work is never the same while working here.

Catering to service users need is key.
Managing and prioritising tasks allows flexibility in day to day work life.
You will learn not to judge a book by it's cover with the huge diverse range of client's.

Assisting in growth for client's with a background in substance use, prostitution, abuse, and many more will teach you empathy and compassion.

The most challenging part of the job is seeing a client deteriorate and knowing you are bound by certain procedures restricting your connection.
The most fulfilling part of working here is successfully re-homing a service user and knowing you contributed to their rehabilitation.
Pros
Clients focued
Cons
Fairness
A demanding job but sometimes rewarding.
Concierge/Security (Former Employee) –  Sunderland23 October 2017
Looking after 65 mostly adults with a variety of problems, I learned compassion, the management were very considerate, good easy going workplace, dealing with complex problems, helping residents to get back on there feet and into there own accommodation.
Pros
food and drink
Cons
very long 12 hour shifts
Food
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jarrow, Tyne and Wear19 October 2017
I work with salvation army as sale girl, we organised clothes. We make friend with them make you attend to the customers. I love charity organisation. Salvation army Charity shop is a place i learned experience how to sell them and learned little about steam clothes etc.
Pros
Cons
6 to 7 hours
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, East Renfrewshire17 October 2017
I volunteered in the kitchen at lunch clubs, helping serve the food, then I would then sit with the go-ers of the lunch club and converse with them over a meal, then I'd gather all dining equipment to the kitchen, wash and put away everything that had been used.
Amazing
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk13 October 2017
Loved every minute of working with the salvation army very rewarding job. interacting with the public and members of the salvation army church was a pleasure
Mostly OK
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire11 October 2017
I stayed working for this organisation for much longer than I ever intended, They were mostly alright but could be difficult and stop your career advancement.
Pros
not many
Cons
lot's of them
productive fun course
CSCS course (Former Employee) –  Falkirk6 October 2017
a typical day was good
what i learned, i learned about all the health and safety for the building sites, about asbestos, wheals disease, etc
was not hard
it all was only a course
Fun working environment.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gateshead4 October 2017
Such a fun place to be, everyone treats everyone like family and to have regular customers was such a fun thing. The shop floor was always in such a good condition as well as upstairs. They treat customers in such a good way too.
Just dreadful
Senior Support Worker/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Merseyside3 October 2017
Aside from the support staff, everything is poor. No way to advance your career, managers unhelpful and uncaring, unsocial hours and low pay for the multiple jobs you are expected to do on top of your own.
Cons
Dreadful management and long shifts
Friendly staff but lack of work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City28 September 2017
This was my work place experience job when I was in secondary school. This only lasted a week in total. While the staff were very friendly towards me they hardly provided me with any work. I just made sure the cloths that were displayed were placed in an organised manner and that was it. For the most part I just stood there.
didn't really enjoy it
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire28 September 2017
i had to attend salvation army as part of my conditions with the job center to receive my fortnightly job seekers allowance payment whilst working there i had to sort out donations ready to be put out onto the shop floor, hang and steam clothes, pricing etc...
Pros
friendly staff
Easy going workplace
Payroll administrator (Current Employee) –  Elephant and Castle, Greater London27 September 2017
Great staff, easy going work environment. Mostly mature staff, treats on Friday, support if need be.
Easy to get to, Payroll isnt too hectic, one monthly
great place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands24 September 2017
excellent place to work, great team who are polite and friendly. the manager is caring, hard working and fair. there is a great atmosphere, we all work hard and all get on really well.
Pros
good hours
Cons
some rude customers
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, Lancashire19 September 2017
It was fun to work for the Salvation Army and I met new people I learned how to price goods.The workplace culture was to be fair and unbiased toward other volunteers. The hardest part of the job was the lifting of heavy bags
Pros
met new people
Cons
Heavy work
loved what salvation army does
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands6 September 2017
i worked as an outreach worker for salvation army but through the agency whioch paid a little more then the staff that was employed got paid. i met a lot of fantastic people and saw real improvement to the people who was supported. some of the mangement did not seem to gave a clue or show any empathy towards the service users some management did not see mental health crises happening in some of the service users fortuntley the support staff had a good skill set to work in the best interest of the client even though mainly against management
Pros
great support worker team very passionate bunch
Cons
pay for perm employees
Boring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow26 August 2017
Boring volunteer work, just did general unloading and tagging and colour coding all the clothes that came in. Could be pretty disgusting and lots of shoplifting.
Good work, shame about the structure
Officer (Former Employee) –  London26 August 2017
Great place to work obviously, but there is a big difference between the work you do and the way the people who work are treated. Sloppy management, people drafted in just to keep unworkable churches going, getting on is for a chosen few; and if you leave, no pension!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.