St Luke's Hospice Employee Reviews

lovely place to work
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wembley Central Station24 November 2017
I loved working there, I meet nice people and the staff was very helpful and friendly.I worked 6 weeks I wish I could continue, I helped them a lot because my shift was in te morning.
Pros
i dint have any lunch or coffe....
Cons
i worked four hours per week
Voluntary
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Basildon19 October 2017
Voluntary gardening work. I learnt a lot from the head gardener who was never too busy to answer questions. A pleasant place to work, nice grounds..
great institute
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 October 2017
A hard busy day with lots of manual labour lifting and carrying bags full of donation that require sorting and accessing ready for processing into salable and unsalable items. The work is variable and interesting and it is especially good for a person who enjoys meeting and engaging people from all walks of life. It is rewarding work
Pros
lots of social interaction with people from all walks of life
Cons
Can be very heavy work
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hatch End31 July 2017
Learnt a lot of invaluable skills that will set me up for work in the future. Good work environment which enabled me to work to the best of my ability.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon13 July 2017
In my few months of volunteering at St Luke's hospices I enjoyed my experience the staff was friendly and very helpful. It taught my how to be more organised and how to help and communicate with customers, it helped improve my confidences.
Nice place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire11 July 2017
Most staff are lovely. The patients are friendly and the hospice provides an extremely positive environment for them during their difficult time. I would say it's a nice place to work.
enjoyable experience
Assistant and Organisational Management (Former Employee) –  north harrow4 July 2017
organising the stock, serving customers ensuring that working targets, sales targets are met. got difficult at times when the stock room was really full
Pros
free lunch
Cons
cramped environment
productive
Advocate Art Surrey (Former Employee) –  Harrow Weald, UK1 May 2017
Duties included operating the till, dealing with enquiries, putting out items for sale such as clothes, labelling items for sale and at times organising the window display.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
challenging
Relaxed environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Harrow14 March 2017
The general atmosphere of the shop was very relaxed and everyone who volunteered there was kind. Management were also very nice and understanding if you had to, for example, leave early or not be able to make it in on a certain day. Interacting with customers was very refreshing and knowing that you're volunteering only adds to the satisfaction of working there.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Tiring sometimes standing all day
a great place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willesden Green6 March 2017
in my experience st lukes was a fantastic place to work the managers and all the staff were very nice and I learnt a lot while I was there id say I enjoyed the whole job
Pros
experience
Cons
no pay
Satisfactory mission
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 February 2017
Customer service and retailing

Sorting through donations

Stock management

Promoting sales of the Hospice

Supporting with the training of new volunteers
Established, well organised working environment
Retail Administrator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth19 December 2016
arranging and review calls from general public for collections of furniture items.
Updating and finding recycling opportunities
Most enjoyable has been the assisting in the set up of a new workshop that has including liaising with the Environment Agency, ensuring that all regulations are followed
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
little opportunities for promotion
Multi- cultural place
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  London, Kingsbury4 October 2016
I enjoyed volunteer work in the shop. As I could communicate and mix with people of different cultures and background easily.

I also learned till skills from the volunteer role.
Pros
Work experience in multi-task within a small firm.
Cons
No reference for volunteer below 6 months.
No Personal Development Opportunities
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, UK23 June 2016
I have worked here for several years and have not had ant personal development opportunities with regard to promotion or training. Staff who are not at management level do not get the opportunity to attend training to gain additional qualifications or improve on the ones they have. 'Lower staff' are not supported by managers,often taken for granted and given workloads that are unrealistic. Staff turnover in this organisation is very high.
Pros
Patients are extremely well cared for and the support they receive is second to none
Cons
Staff are not treated very well and there are no opportunities for progression. Low pay.
Fundraising and Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  London3 June 2016
Management at St Luke's is closer to a Laisez-faire culture, still keeping you motivated to work nonetheless. You are made to feel in charge of your responsibilities and tasks that you have to get done.
Pros
Environment
St Lukes Hospice
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  South Ockendon11 May 2016
I had to clean to shop floor and the staff room floor, help the customers who needed the help looking for something or bring unwanted clothes or toys to the workshop.

I had to communicate with the customers when working in the stuff room or working on the teal, I love working there because I was helping out a charity for the St Hospice.

The stuff there was really kind, caring, fun, great listeners and etc.
Pros
An hour break
Cons
7 hours
Everyday was a different day
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  FIRTH PARK8 November 2015
I enjoy working as a team and independently, meeting new customers, fulfilling all my given tasks for the day. I used the till daily, sorted out donations, worked on shop floor displaying goods.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG19 October 2015
It was Enjoyable to work at St Luke's, with a very supportive manager and the good colleagues team. In the beginning I didn't know anything about customer service, but while I was doing at the same time the course, I developed a lot. Soon I knew all the job inside the shop and the Company offered me a course in management.
What I most enjoyed was dealing with the customers and satisfy them.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
cooperate with many tasks
Amazing
BTEC Student (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, ENG22 March 2015
The time I worked at St Luke's Hospice- in Sheffield- was for work experience which is why some of the stars are one stars because I cannot rate them. However, my whole experience there was amazing! Every one is so lovely and friendly and I loved working there. Also the care which the patients get whether they are in patients or out patients is amazing. they are so dedicated and really show that it is an environment which puts all service users first. The hardest for me was dealing with people who died but even then everyone was so supportive yet always considerate of the relatives and their needs.
Personal Care, feeding and general communication was parts of what I was involved in but even in those aspects everyone was really respectful and ensured service users were always dignified.
Pros
Friendly enviornment
Worthwhile job.
Retail roaming shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Launceston,Tavistock,Kingsbridge & all inbetween29 November 2014
Running one of the 36 shops from Launceston to Kingsbridge on a daily basis. Running it in place of the permanent manager due to holiday, annual leave or absence of any kind. I was responsible for opening and closing of the shop, supervising the volunteers, serving members of the public, sorting and pricing donations. Cashing up at start and end of day, banking the day’s takings, answering phones, making sure the shop floor was presentable, clean, tidy and safe at all times. Solving any problems and dealing with customer complaints. Liaising with senior management. Steaming clothes, making sure communal areas behind the scenes were left clean and tidy, and keeping the fire exits clear. Arranging display window dressing and shop floor displays, culling and rotating stock.
The hardest part of the job for me was the sometimes extremely long commutes resulting in late hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was working along side some truly wonderful people who volunteer their time and work tirelessly to help keep St Lukes running. Serving memebers of the public and helping to raise the vital funds.
Pros
Having the opportunity to manage many different shops on a day to day basis.
Cons
Long travel times