Sports Direct Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundee City15 December 2017
A typical day working at Sports Direct is usually hectic especially during school holidays leading up to Christmas time. Management can be very reasonable.
Pros
0 hour contract
Cons
Short breaks
Alright place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shirebrook14 December 2017
Enjoyed it there, Make a lot of good friend and good key skills and gained better confidence within my self and being able to talk to people and customers confidently.
Cons
Too short hours
Basic retail work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham14 December 2017
Sports direct is a company that rewards you based on how much you sell through commission. The store managers are nice and look after you. the hardest part of the job was dealing with very angry customers.
Pros
commision
Cons
zero hour contract
Great atmosphere
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast12 December 2017
The work hours aren't too bad because you don't need to work every night to 9pm or every weekend, the only down fall when I worked there was the minimum wage
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Wages
Treated terribly especially the younger you are
Casual shoe sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry11 December 2017
Worked there as my first ever job.
Being 17 years old I didn't know better and thought everyone else at other workplaces were also paid £3.60 per hour alongside being talked down to like a child by senior management.

Besides that, It was great fun being with work colleagues who were also in the same age group as me.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City, Greater London9 December 2017
I have improved significantly on my interpersonal skills, as i had to communicate with customers on a regular. It has been a great experience as it let me make new friends, becoming more confident in myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was making customers happy, as i felt i was doing my job right.
Pros
Discounts
Fun and productive workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent8 December 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is definaetly the people you work with everyone gets along really well even the managers. The hardest part of the job is the close down of areas as this can be boring and be time consuming but its part of the job to make sure the store is ready for the next day.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Can be boring at times
Good job to start into retail
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne7 December 2017
This was my first ever job and is a great job for someone who is looking to gain experience in the retail industry. From my experience there isn't much progression for staff who want to further themselves into the company to a full time or supervisor position but for someone who is just looking to gain a bit of experience to find the right job for them then this is great for just starting out.

For students the zero hours contract works perfectly to give a balance between college/university and work life but for someone who is just working a contract would be more beneficial, unfortunately sports direct do not offer contracts therefore it is not a stable job unless you progress.
Pros
Decent and friendly members of part time staff
Cons
zer hour contract
work in general
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wallisdown, Dorset6 December 2017
fun bunch of people to work with and easy to get along with
pay wasn't so good
flexible with doctors and other appointments
understanding when your ill and cant make it to work
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
0 hour contract
a great working environment
Footwear Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon5 December 2017
as most workplaces, some people work harder than other, but within this company you would find that the harder you would work the money you would get on commission.
Pros
staff discount, incentivies
Cons
very very bust during peak times
Good Overall
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom3 December 2017
Enjoyed my time at Sports Direct defiantly would recommend to someone new to working. whilst working there I gained confidence and time keeping skills.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Doing jobs you hadn't trained for.
Flexible easy going jobThe
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire2 December 2017
Relaxed flexible working atmosphere with understanding management. Learning how to handle cash and work alongside a team to offer a good level of customer service.
Boring
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks, Cheshire29 November 2017
pretty boring job, very repetitive, get treated very poorly treated. discount inst very good however very flexible and informal partnership with all employees and managers
Pros
flexable
Cons
late hours
Good 3 stars
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  London29 November 2017
Good expirience for the first job , job sometimes hard sometimes easy depence for place and managment and people I have very good memories with my place in Croydon , grat manager and people.
productive
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston28 November 2017
Working at Sports Direct gave me the chance to improve my communication skills and also gave me the chance to improve my customer service skills. The hardest part of the job would be making sure everything was well organised and in the correct place. The most enjoyable part would have to be the fact i got to meet different types of customers and also ensuring to have met their needs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aintree25 November 2017
Absolutely awful experience working for this company, no guaranteed hours, managers say they've been in your position but still treat you dreadfully, you get 'rewarded' with full time contract if you do nothing and just be lazy, no such thing as rewarding hard work in this place. Really is the worst kind of job.
Fun to work
Sports Direct Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire24 November 2017
Everytime I showed up for work Everyone was always encourageing me to work my hardest have have fun but also they showed me how hard real work can me.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Short shifts
Horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire24 November 2017
Only thing that was good about working here was the chance to make friends and the commission that can be earned. Makes an okay first job however, not a job I could do for a lifetime. No work life balance, the 0 hour contract only works on their behalf as they expect you to work every weekend, get annoyed if you can’t make a shift etc. Some of the management are lovely, the others not so much, some physically make you come in when you ring in sick, always complaining. All they care about is passing the mystery shop and also making everything look nice for the area managers. Been told several times that they could sack me if they wanted to, in a place that customers could hear, unprofessional.
Pros
Commission and Great way to make friends!!
Cons
Sometimes too many hours, sometimes too little. Unprofessional, no work life balance.
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London23 November 2017
i worked full time everyday, everyday was a busy day. You always have to work extra hard. it comes with a commission and Music playing in the background
Enjoyable job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd21 November 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for this company as the hours were okay for most of the year however we did have some quiet periods. The pay was average for a retail job but there was opportunity to earn more.
Pros
Fun environment, easy to get time off when needed
Cons
Some poor quiet weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5