Southwark Council Employee Reviews

Productive and interesting job
Recycling Collector (Former Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London6 October 2017
I am seeking local part time work no more than 20 hours per week.
I am an experienced driver with a clean licence.
I am able to start immediately.
I have excellent Customer Service skills, I have worked for Southwark Council for 12 years in a Customer facing role.
Pros
Local work
Productive working
Contracts Officer/Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2017
This was a very fun and productive place to work. It also had many opportunities for progression. I enjoyed working here and would definitely recommend to parents especially as the flexibility is very convenient.
Pros
Flexible hours
Good
Repairs Supervisor Voids & Reactive (Former Employee) –  Peckham, Greater London21 September 2017
Not bad good place to work fast effrctive fun challenging nice people very close by very demanding residents very chsllenging level of expectations are high
funwork place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  london7 September 2017
typical day would be removing recyclable rubbish from residents bin cupboard. i leaned what is recycling is all about and what is the correct way of recycling
horrible management
Lettings Officer (Current Employee) –  london30 August 2017
My typical day consisted of lettings work, however they then threw me into many other roles which at first i didnt mind however when no one was communication given to me about next moves I started to feel out of sort. Management is terrible and very unorganized. There is definitely a blame culture and staff members can be very unhelpful and rude. Other that the odd majority my team were very helpful and sweet.
Pros
flexi working hours
Cons
unorganised
Great service
Mash Information officer (Current Employee) –  London27 August 2017
Great service to work for. Fantastic people. Very professional approach to helping people even though the London Borough of Southwark is overwhelmed with the demand for their support. Very welcoming service from director to system support.
fun learning curve
youth mentor and recuirtment (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2017
this job allowed me to grow froma boy into a man and also allowed me to learn key factors which allow you to go into the work place I was the youngest person so I have to catch on quickly which allowed me to learn form the mistakes of others and make sure I didn't make the same mistake again
Pros
free lunches and courses
Cons
timetable
good team
Primary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kennington, Greater London25 July 2017
Helpful HR and a good set up. The pension scheme is excellent and back office help along with all matters. Internally at the school, very nice people with a strong work ethic. Effective management as individuals but a lack of direction within the team.
Excellent place to work
Advanced Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Youth Offending Service15 July 2017
Southwark is a wonderful place to work. The opportunity for personal and professional development and growth are second to none. Team spirit abounds throughout the departments. The management team is supportive. Most importantly, the families/service users are at the heart of all the work that takes place. I'm very proud to be a part of the council
Painting and Decorating
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  London1 July 2017
This was refurbishment of properties owned by the Council. It was varied. This involved working with tenants and required being communicative, respective and having good social skills
Enjoyable
Community Warden (Former Employee) –  Warden15 June 2017
I enjoyed my time here but was only on a temporary basis. I gained alot of skills and qualifications whilst working here. Patrolled the streets and noted down accurate information.
Campaign Executive
Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 June 2017
A really fun place to work, but after my third department re-org it was time to move on. One of the best teams I've ever worked in. A good place to get that overview of running national local gov campaigns.
Very productive
Gas Servicing Officer (Former Employee) –  Tooley Street, London Bridge12 June 2017
- Quality control and customer satisfaction.
- How to adapt to face-to-face communication and handle conflict.
- Manage time keeping and maintain high standards of customer care.
- The hardest part of my job is being unable to train staff due to tight guidelines.
- Most enjoyable thing about my current post is receiving positive feedback.
Pros
customer service, positive feedback, job satisfaction
Cons
travelling to work
Productive and diverse place to work
PA to Director (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 May 2017
No two day is the same
Learnt Government systems
Great Management culture
Great Workplace culture

Need a more robust IT system
Ensuring policies were completed for the residents
Pros
Achievement
Cons
IT systems
Colleagues great to work with, could be fun at times.
Divisional HR Manager (Former Employee) –  London, UK10 May 2017
Over the years I learned how to get the best out of people by being compassionate and hard when appropriate. The hardest part of the job towards the end of my time there was there were not enough staff within the team to keep ontop of the day to day work activities but still expected to take on projects, I understand that project work goes hand in hand with the posts I have been employed in but sometimes this was at a detriment to other tasks.

The most enjoyable part of the job was becoming friends with my colleagues.
Great employer
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  London10 May 2017
Worked as a Foster Carer for Southwark Council Caring for a variety of ages of children.

Southwark council were an extremely supportive employer providing me with essential support throughout each of my placements
good place but not in my desired position
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  london4 April 2017
good work environment but not in my desired position
I have learnt something new that I didn't know however my desired role is very challenging and hard to get into.
Pros
Na
Cons
long travel
Admin Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London1 April 2017
Working in southwark council was an educational experience to say the least. The typical day for me consisted of filing and printing spreadsheets and papers. Whilst attending to the managers needs. Which could be from making teas , to assoting work. I learnt how to work in a busy and large workforce with many people. And how to assist a manager to the best of my ability. also, I learnt alot about the technical work done in southwark council and the jobs that are done in the finance sector. The most enjoyable part of the job was filling in spreadsheets on the computers as I was able to see how finances are managed in the borough of southwark.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
similar duties
Excellent team at the Service Point
Service Point Officer (Former Employee) –  London16 March 2017
I worked with an excellent team in my last role in Southwark Council.
The work was fast-paced, so we had to be 'on our toes'.
The team helped each other if needed, you knew you had a colleague who could help.
We were able to be professional and reach our targets. We also managed to support each other and have a laugh at appropriate times.
The manager at the service point was approachable and would always help out when needed.
The local residents we dealt with in the Service Point had appointments with us to deal with their issues regarding council services. Customers were mainly polite and cooperative, but there were a minority who took out their frustrations and anger on Service Point staff.
As staff, we were regularly updated with the latest legislation from management.
Pros
Generous annual leave
Cons
Could be stressful
Very Productive
Plasterer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 March 2017
My days consisted of tiling walls and floors, including thermos plastic floor tiling. The workplace culture was very friendly and welcoming as everyone got along with everyone. Sometimes you would have so much on your hands that you would be overworked and feel the effects of it. An enjoyable part of the job was having good hours and being able to finish early to come home and see my family.
Pros
Good and easy going hours
Cons
You would be overworked and would feel the psychical effects of it