South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Not a very good place for central administration
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Denmark Hill6 October 2017
Can't talk for the clinical services but the central services are appalling. Senior line management is done by whitewashing mainly. There are people there that do not justify their salary and nastiness is common. The only good thing to say about the place is if you find people with the same outlook as you then they usually become friends for life due to what you have collectively been through.
Pros
Not a lot is expected of you and good salary
Cons
virtually everything else
Adult Mental Health social activities
Unpaid Events Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Beckham - London2 August 2017
As a volunteer, my duty is to assist the management to support social activities to patients from Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) service users in Peckham South London.The activities intended to enhance the quality of service users' lives. I participate in activities, promoting events and workshops Interaction of social activities with service users such as playing table tennis, conversing, dominoes, playing cards, theatre trips and organise wakings and serving them with refreshments, drinks and hot meals reduce their social isolation and loneliness experienced by BME. Workplace culture reflects African Caribbean social activities mentioned above and West Indies hot meal cuisines.
The hardest part of the job is listening about their moving real stories and the effects of their medical condition while the most enjoyable part is when they are enjoying their home made food, listening reggae music and playing dominoes games. I really enjoy the moment and feel I have contributed to their well-being.
Pros
enhancing their quality of lie by simple social activities
Cons
Service users' Unsuitable hours
very educational
Student Social Worker (Former Employee) –  London10 July 2017
This was my first placement as a social work student, this organisation provided me with the opportunity to develop as a student and learning about integrative working and professional boundary
Pros
provided good social work learning and care
Cons
Lack means of providing leadership role to students
Do not work there
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  London1 June 2017
There was a culture of promoting junior staff (not those of colour) instead of senior, experienced and capable staff (of colour) - nurses! The nurses did not feel supported. Many nurses did not stay long in their jobs. If one was not the blue-eyed type, then one could forget moving up in one's career.
I do not advise anyone who is a high achiever to work there. It is not what it says on the cover. No diversity in Mnagement/Directors - if there were people of colour there, the establishment found a way to get rid!! Everybody knew this.
Pros
Cons
No support from Management or HR
Limited Spaces
Service desk analyst (Former Employee) –  Lambeth, Greater London26 November 2016
Lambeth Early Onset,what a place,the receptionists are rude,the care coordinators don't know how to do their jobs and no one cares,no staff return your calls when your distressed,no treatment for client and nil help for families,if your given a doctor to see,your one of the lucky ones.When you look at their website it all sounds so good,words mean nothing,action does.A client would get more help in a third world country
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lambeth, ENG5 December 2015
I gained a lot of experience at south London and Maudsley and that experience motivated me to take up my nursing career. However, at times colleagues can be difficult to work with.
Pros
Training Opportunities
Cons
Colleuges can be challenging at times
extrovert can gel well with others, productive, hard working and easy going individual
clinical charge nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ENG6 August 2014
work in busy admission ward which is the single point of entry for all patients in the unit. in a day admission assessment can vary from 0-7 depending on level of acuity of the ward and patients. it can get busy and while trying to handle the admission there are ward activities to be carried out such as patients meals, medication, daily community meetings, ward rounds, answering calls, attending to patients needs and providing high quality care for patients. Also attending to visitors meeting with carers and also liaising with other professions and wards ensuring that patient care and needs are been met. In the mix of this as a charge nurse also might meet up with junior staff offering supervision and training. Doing daily audits on the ward and deputising the ward manager.

What I learnt: is an unpredictable ward and often things do not go according to plan instead of getting stressed or angry and channel all my energy in other things and have learnt to identify when i need to take time out and also manage my stress well.

Management: is not an individual single sole person role it involves team work constant effective communication, following protocols having standard, its evidence based, audits, monitoring and measuring, people, services and organisation and how you can make develop better service for patients and staff.

my co-workers that we are all different and have different skills and development needs and we work different with each other based either on our preference or interests on that person. I embrace individuality and diversity and equality.

The hardest
  more... part of my job is when some is acutely unwell, lack insight and not willing to concord with their treatment its hard as you want them to get better but at the same time they need to learn more about their mental health. So often you left with a dilemma do you advocate for further assessment or you will wait and give them time. And working with families who are new to the services.

the most enjoyable part is getting a thank you gesture, a card, seeing people better and going home knowing that i am coming back to see different people.
Pros
tea and coffee facilities
Cons
long distance travelling
Productive and fun
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  London14 March 2014
i really enjoyed my work experience with this company, you always had work to do, I learned that working for this company, 'SLAM' (South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust) that they help the public with everyday stresses and that it is not just for mental health issues. My co-workers were brilliant! working together in a team was very fulfilling as you had support, great advice and were always willing to help. Thea hardest part was having to eave the company. i enjoyed everything about it.
Pros
Staff members
Cons
it wasn't long enough
This was a very ongoing working environment.
PA to Service Director (Former Employee) –  Croydon6 November 2013
My previous job was very ongoing which I liked i.e. lots of diary management, arranging lots of meetings, preparing agendas etc, I did like the position, but left because of the style of management.

This was a temporary position and felt that I would like a permanent position now.

The overall rating for this company is 3 stars.
Cons
It was a very good organisation to work for.
Assistant Clinical Psychologist (Former Employee) –  London, ENG25 June 2013
I enjoyed working as an Assistant Psychologist and would love another opportunity like this.
Fun workplace
Head Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  London17 February 2013
typical days at work are unpredictable so I have to be ready for whatever or whoever walks in the door needing assistance, I have learned a variety of skills, but most importantly how to communicate especially with the deaf population, management are always very helpful and supportive, and my co-workers are very cooperative and we support each other, the hardest part of my job would be when I have to notify the police when our zero tolerance policy is not being adhered to, but the most enjoyable part of my job is when you see clients' on a regular basis and become familiar with them and they feel comfortable with me.
Pros
the friendly atmosphere
Cons
limited room for advancement