SOUTH DEVON COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Friendly staff and rewarding job role
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Paignton, Devon3 August 2017
Teaching and planning lessons across many stages. Facilities are great and teams supportive. Best part of the job is the students, who are lively and wiling to engage. Most difficult part is the expectations of the role, which can be unrealistic at times.
Challenging but rewarding
Trainer Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Paignton, UK13 June 2017
There is a lot of variety in this job and lots of opportunities to develop your career with free courses relating to your employment. I enjoy working with the learners and have some very good friends. I enjoyed working in the department very much.
South Devon College
Lecturer/Internal Quality Assurance Assessor (Current Employee) –  Paignton, UK20 April 2017
A typical day includes teaching or preparing lessons. Lots of opportunities for CPD activities providing relevant to job role. Great satisfaction in developing learners to be able to succeed in the workplace.
Fun Workplace
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Devon, Devon31 March 2017
I got to experience work with different species of animal, while learning how to properly care for them and their surroundings. Predominantly, the team were supportive and fun to work with, along with having mentors I could easily talk to.
Pros
Free Lunch, lovely weather
Cons
Strict Rules
Its great if you are part of the in crowd and are prepared to not want to alter the status quo
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Paignton24 March 2017
It is said that if you want to remove a bad teacher then you promote them. South Devon College do this very well. The people that teach are fantastic and do a great job under a ton of pressure by the people who do not know how to do it.

Although the outside view of SDC is fantastic behind the scenes the support from the top down to the departmental managers need a overall.

Managers will quite openly threaten tutors to complete childrens work in order to obtain funding and many teachers have been known to work into early hours and weekend in order to keep up with workload.
Cons
Lots of pressure
Great place
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  SDC14 February 2017
SDC gave me so many opportunities. The staff are excellent and really supportive. Learners make great progress and success is celebrated.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Communication
productive and fun
BTECH Business Studies (Former Employee) –  Devon28 April 2016
it was a great place to study in the heart of Paignton, I have learnt so much and am ready to take the next step in showing what I have learnt in a company.
Fun
work experience (Former Employee) –  Paignton3 December 2015
Cleaning was mandatory.
I learnt a lot about the animals, what they need on a daily basis, and how much food to give them.
I was mainly the one doing all the work when I worked in teams.
The hardest part was probably when I wasn't given clear instructions and had no idea what to do during the first few days.
The most enjoyable part though was holding and looking after the animals once duties were done, or before duties started.
education
Education (Former Employee) –  Paignton, ENG11 November 2015
This is a very good college. I went there for two years and enjoyed everyday. The only problem was the distance too travel to there.
Pros
Cons
location
Very good atmosphere with the learners
Trainer Facilitator (Plumber) (Current Employee) –  Paignton, ENG15 January 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is teaching the learners plumbing and seeing them progress until they work out in the industry.Every year is different as all learners achieve at different paces and you get to meet lots of different people.
Community
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Paignton, ENG26 October 2014
A great place to learn and a great place to work! There is a real buzz of community at SDC and it feels great to be a part of it.
Pros
the students
Cons
not one!
Good place to learn
4 Days catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Paignton12 September 2014
Good teaching and support
Tutors were very helpful with theory and practical work in the kitchen and the restaurant
Accomodation excellent
Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Paignton6 August 2014
While working at South Devon College I coordinated a team of support staff and supported learners in curriculum workshops. I developed people management skills. I had a lot of positive support from my line manager. The hardest part of the job was coordinating timetables. I enjoyed the community of South Devon College.
South Devon College
Curriculum Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Paignton, ENG14 July 2014
I worked quite social able hours which suited me but all jobs are different. I have advanced my learning in all area's either first time starter induction courses on safeguarding, diversity and equality, health and safety. Also being able to have funded courses in teacher training. I found all fellow staff supportive and always willing to help.
The one thing which was disappointing was there were no permanent jobs in the area I was working in only short term contracts, so I was only on a year contract and having to re - apply for every year.
good learning envroment
student (Former Employee) –  devon24 May 2014
learning here was a joystaff were helpful and surportive, what i did was helping in bring me out of my shell and push myself to be better
fun work place
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Torquay, ENG11 April 2014
quite not very busy only get busy at christmas but its enjoyable
Pros
n, a
Cons
n/a