Somerset County Council Employee Reviews

low pay
LSA (Current Employee) –  Highbridge28 November 2017
expect a lot from staff, with no supervision. unable to contact anyone for days no contact with management even with emails etc, basically you are just an employee number and you tick the boxes for them to say somebody "is there". Management forget all the extras that you do but no give and take. High volume of front line staff very stressed and put upon but higher management all seem to be on long term sickness! Contracts being changed and hours reduced so you are unable to deliver the service properly.
Pros
The children are lovely
Cons
no support.
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Taunton23 October 2017
Somerset County Council is a great place to work. The hours are fair and there is flexibility. Managers are good and encouraging.
It is subject to budget cuts which means most roles are only funded until the end of each financial year. There is also little stationery so people often provide their own.
Smart office isn’t for everyone but I enjoyed it.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Few permanent roles
normal work day
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Taunton9 October 2017
school starts at 9 i started at half 7

more hours are needed but very enjoyable

management were brilliant

making sure kids were seat belted properly

taking them from a to b and back again
Pros
gd job
Cons
need more hors
Fun workplace
Cook (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset8 October 2017
Good workplace with good people around you but could do with some pay increases but overall a fun place to work with some great benefits. It's a rewarding job helping your local community.
Pros
Good workplace
Cons
Long days
Varies depending on department
Client Lead Officer (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset27 September 2017
Good Salary/ flexi time/ staff benefits and annual leave. The best organisation to work for for life/ work balance.
Constantly reducing staff so no job feels secure, and lost so much experience.
Restructure one on top of the other, and no control over where you work. I had no current job description for over 10 years, so impossible to ask for a job evaluation. I was continually working above my pay grade.
No real direction.
My colleagues were good people, hard working and created a friendly atmosphere.
Smart office or hot desking is the norm so very few have an allocated desk. Lots of people work from home regularly so all this gives a rather disjointed and isolated feeling.
Still a good company to work for in a lot of ways, but I had just stayed too long.
Pros
flexi time/ staff benefits/ friendly atmosphere
Cons
job insecurity and inexperienced management
Large organisation not always person centred
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerset26 September 2017
Large organisation with many demanding goals and aspirations that at times lacked clarity and derection. Customers not always put first and staff views not always taken into account. Management in my particular area was good but lost further up the organisation.Financial constraints meant that the services could not always be delivered in accordance with peoples wishes, aspirations and need.
Pros
pension
Cons
lack of claer vision
somerset
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset9 August 2017
they are good at making sure all training is up to date and a good salary. they were very good to staff until they sold the company to dimension and sold us out.
Currently going through significant changes
Business Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Shepton Mallet, Somerset7 August 2017
Somerset County Council is currently undertaking some dramatic changes to it's workforce. This has greatly impacted upon the morale of staff.
Although I am thankful for my time working at SCC, some parts have been very rewarding.
Pros
n/a
Cons
No consistency or loyalty
Hard working
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset2 August 2017
Fast paced hardworking company with great attention to detail. Look after there staff well with a fantastic pension scheme. I throughly enjoy working with them
Caring
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Frome, Somerset21 June 2017
I have learned to support people with complex physical, communication and medical needs within a person centred approach along side a supportive team.
Not as good latterly as it was
Senior Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset15 June 2017
Having worked for the authority for 31 years, I can say that the working experience is largely down to the immediate manager. As a large organisation, those at the top can feel very remote from the business transacted at a day to day level.
My experience working for the authority was positive until the end of my career there. There was opportunity to be involved in interesting work and the opportunity to progress. The employer was accommodating to personal circumstances.
However, the public sector cuts are biting very hard in the authority and there are so many jobs being cut that morale is very low indeed. New office accommodation is in a smart office, although not all the County Council offices fit this mould yet. While this is bright and airy at present, only time will tell if the environment deteriorates with time. For some, the loss of personal work space will be felt quite hard.
I believe you still can have a positive experience working for the authority but there are also areas which are less satisfactory.
Pros
Flexi-time, equalities attitudes, can be interesting and worthwhile work
Cons
Job security very much diminished, car parking mostly not provided and is expensive in the immediate area.
Outstanding collleagues
various roles (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, England, UK11 June 2017
A simple job but with a lot of responsibility at the same time.

Colleagues were brilliant.

A good way of getting into working with learning disabilities.
Good Environment
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chard, Somerset8 June 2017
There was a good work environment, management wasn't the best but i learnt a lot while i was there. Somerset County Council sold off the LD services as before i Left.
SCC was an amazing secure job.
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset2 June 2017
SCC was an amazing company to work for but then on 1st April we were taken over by Dimensions, a private company, who are now stripping our terms and conditions and cutting our hourly rate regardless of loyalty to the service. One bonus is we get to keep our amazing pension!
Pros
Terms and conditions, pension.
Cons
Privatisation
my experience
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton28 May 2017
this once was a great company to work for, until we have all been sold out to dimensions, who are now offering dedicated staff rubbish pay with no benefits. the individuals whom i support will suffer
Staffing team excelkent
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Various Locations16 May 2017
I was a County Councillor for 24 years and all the staff I worked with were remarkable people.
The present CEO is a great team leader and his management team work really hard to deliver the requirements of their political masters whilst protecting services and staff
A professional and respectful workplace
Customer Advisor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset15 May 2017
A typical day at work involves working a set shift. You sit at your desk with dual screens and connect your phone line. You then take calls for the front end of Adult Social Care.
Challenging and stimulating
Service and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  SCC14 May 2017
Working for Somerset County Council is challenging and stimulating, they are a changing and evolving service with a dynamic reputation. There is a culture of reward for hard work. Social Care is difficult but rewarding when the quality of the service can be maintained. The hardest part of the job is assessing those in the greatest need and allocating the services.
Pros
Clear guidelines and expected standards of work
Cons
sometimes long hours
Enjoyable job
Midday Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, UK8 May 2017
I really enjoyed working at the school. Looking after all the children and listening to their problems, I'm a caring individual so that comes naturally to me, whenever there was a problem with children I made sure that I could help them out no matter what, because what made the job so enjoyable was to see the smiles on the children's faces day in and day out, helping them on a daily basis made me happy and made it such a joy to work with such wonderful students and staff.
New and varied experiences
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Somerset16 April 2017
SCC was a company worth working for once, however now we have been taken over by another provider for the LD services, that any benefits or confidence in the company has been removed.
This new social enterprise is a great uncertainty, and do not seem at all interested in the support of our most vulnerable in society.
Pros
Used to be SCC
Cons
Recent take over, uncertainty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Somerset County Council. Our community is ready to answer.