Soho House & Co Employee Reviews

It's In The Name
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London25 October 2017
Worked at Soho House for one year at Head Office in London.

Initially you feel inspired, priviliged and lucky but in time you find it is about who you know, departments are not always organised.

The perks they talk about;

Career progression training - only if you have contacts in the company and your ability to do teh job is not dependant on your experience but simply put if that hiring manager likes you.

Discounts on Cowshed, Neville and Cheeky Products - Discounts are fine but if your basic salary isn't great then you won't always feel like spebding your money on the products.

However Tuesdays you get 50% off at any Soho House restaurant but again if a manager who isn't keen on you sees you out with friends at one of these establishments they will watch you like a hawk. So is it worth it?

Weekly wage - This is the only real perk, few organisations do weekly pay

Introduce a star - This is like a vote for the most popular person so doesn't really mean anything. In a large organisation unless everyone knows you and votes there's little chance you will win. Depressing but true

Annual salary reviews - an opportunity for them to tell you what you need to improve on..but no bonuses or commission etc so meh…

Staff film screenings - Not true. Screenings are for members only or senior staff- but if you are based at head office you get discount to the Electric Cinema's in London

Pension – Core Scheme - yes but if you leave the pension scheme can't be withdrawn so bare this in mind before signing up

Discounted Gym membership - still expensive for what
  more... you get

A range of internal/external training courses - this depends on your role or position the training has to be relevent to your job title for instance if you work in accounting you may not be approved for wine tasting course, this is reserved for staff who work in teh restaurants, chefs, waiters etc.

Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK - Yes, but isn't that the case for most UK jobs

You do get to learn alot the luxury industry and if you can manage to stay there long enough it looks good on your CV. Employers are usually impressed by the association, having known you have worked at this company. Reminds me of the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz alot of smoke and mirrors but behind the scenes not that fantastic.
Pros
Fruit but it's fruit - then weekly pay
Cons
Pay is not great for such an international brand, stressful and un-organised at the best of times. Pretentious seniour management, high turnover of staff at all levels, no real career growth
Accounts Assistant
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 September 2017
Poor Managment, lack of training, heavy workload, long hours, face pace and pressurised environment.

No breaks in between.

High staff turnover, low retention in the office.
Pros
Free fruit for breakfast.
Cons
Long hours. Reluctancy to train staff.
enjoyable work
head chef (Former Employee) –  london17 September 2017
I had to manage the whole kitchen, to organize the sections, the orders, the fridges, to drive our workers and the service, using fnb system to control( gp stock wastage ......) . I worked with my team on the preparation jobs and in the service too. We served some kind of burgers, roasted chickens, sides, salads, and desserts too. I had a small, familiar team and I am so proud to work with them.
Experience overall
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  London8 August 2017
Soho House was a great school for me. The great majority of my experience in hospitality came from there.

I started as laundry organiser and went all the way to management team. During the 9 years which I worked there I had one of the best times of my life.

It was fun and I loved the culture and work ethic of the company. I met a lot of great people and made a lot of friends,

The hardest part of working for Soho House in my opinion, would be the working hours, especially during new projects where it demands a lot from staff and some times we ended up losing some great people as a consequence.
Pros
Free membership for managers, the team.
Cons
Staff turnover could be an issue
very nice
Runner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 August 2017
Soho houese is a lovely brach to work in a hospitality.
I have to thank Soho house because gave me a lot experience to work in a amazing restaurant. Its a semply a lovely place to work.
good contact with customers
chef (Former Employee) –  Clerkenwell, Greater London22 July 2017
good work but with bad management a lot hours with long shift and salary not enough for all work done. manager not good to make rotas and keep a good atmosphere inside the shop
Productive and fast paced
Manager (Current Employee) –  Soho, Greater London19 July 2017
Amazing opportunities to work and move up with this company that is growing at such a rapid pace. not very well structured management traning programme and need to be very self motivated
Fun, busy and creative
Customer Care/Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2017
I work in a small team dealing with customer queries via email and phone. I manage inboxes for Cowshed and Soho Home which is taken in turns amongst the team and myself. I deal with customer complaints and a lot of data input including clients personal details. I have recently been exposed and given more tasks to do as part of my job in the admin sector. I have learnt how to do some ecommerce tasks as the company is growing rapidly. I have become more confident with Outlook and the 'Book4time' system. I have learnt how important it is to be organised - this avoids working under pressure and helps me to remain focus. The hardest part of the job is corresponding with Clients abroad as the team I work with are based in London and the only team that deals with customers queries and complaints. The company is growing internationally and no teams have been put in place as yet to deal with this therefore it can get stressful at times. The management team are hardworking and very encouraging. They do their best to accommodate to our needs as much as possible. I do like the idea that once I have left work, work is left there as well as the work perks/benefits. I am always learning new tasks which keeps me busy and occupied at work. The culture within the workplace brings us together to support one another with our faith, ideologies and principles at Soho House.
Pros
Free membership and discount on Cowshed products.
Cons
weekend shifts/shift work
Private members club
Front of House Manager (Former Employee) –  London7 June 2017
Soho House has been one of the best jobs that i have had. With amazing promotional opportunities, they always encouraged me to set goals and meet them

Wonderful opportunity to take ownership of your career. Innovators in the industry and extremely supportive. Like family.
Nice but not excellent
Nail Technician (Former Employee) –  Holborn, Greater London25 May 2017
Basing on my experience this company gave me the chance to learn English very quickly but they should hire more experienced people as manager and employee; always basic wage even if the employee have more experience they pay everyone as all same level...
Cons
40 hours

Want to know more about Soho House & Co?

Ask a question
Good for Slaves
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire29 April 2017
Dont respect qualifications, they want to use workers with BS and university degree to collect dirty towels.
No clear job descriptions, people can work in positions like managers and supervisors without valid certifications.
Most of the cleaners cant speak English. I dont know too much about the catering but they promise hours and salary after half of that complete.
They force to use staff car park which is next to a forest when you have to go through with your car, unconcreeded muddy road with big holes. Many of my colleauge car and alloys destroyed here.
They dont provide proper uniform for lifeguards at the winter , and they have to be in short.
Gym is ridiculous as well, no motivator, no real help and advices from professionals, because they use the leisure attendant to lifeguarding collecting towels and do hard cleaning jobs. Your certification is not relevant , if you are good friend or relative you can be in position.
Hypocrate and snob, ridiculous place, never gonna raise your starting salary.
The carpark is 15-20 minutes walk from the working place , check in with fingerprints but collect the keys before, so 30-40 minutes unpaid from your shift every day.
Very unfair place , zero hours contract, even they promise 40 hours full time positions.
Pros
staff carpark in the muddy forest
Cons
long hours fingerprints check in
No reward for hard work at busy Spa
Spa Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 March 2017
My friend recommended me this Company whilst she worked on a floor for a busy restaurant in Soho. I've worked for the company for a long time and really enjoyed it when I started. The management team and head office were helpful, staff performing well. The girls Ive worked wih were absolutrly amazing and we all worked hard and supported each other. With time I've learnt that Company doesn't really invest in staff, doesn't reward your efforts, doesn't recognise all hard work it takes to make sure staff are performing well and all targets are achieved. Whenever I've wanted to reward my staff or place incentive, it was never finalised. We all felt let down that if we wanted to try products we literally had to pay for it. Testers weren't always fresh. Another thing what provided me with stress and pressure was the fact that I needed to work really long hours, stay hours extra for stocktakes or perform treatments when therapists called in sick (more extra hours unpaid)
This Company just takes takes takes and is never willing to give back. You will feel burnt out sooner or later.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Extremely long hours, no commission or bonus, late finishes.
Long hours, low pay
Beauty Therapist (Current Employee) –  London23 March 2017
I work in a busy spa and have lots of regular clients. The job consistes of long hours, staying longer at work regularly as other therapists call in sick from overwork or stress. You are asked to work most weekends either because of your shift or because others calling in sick regularly. You are stressed even on your day off.
The management was poor and not understanding. They would book unreasonable treatments for your shift without splitting it fairly and you finished the shift exhausted and stressed. You are not allowed to have a free moment as you immediately asked to deep clean something even after you've just done physical treatments like deep massages.
The pressure to achieve the targets is very high and the company provides no training or incentives or allocation. We asked to get free products as a reward for good performance which was promised but never happened.
I recommend this company was someone desperate for any kind of work. But not for long.
The cons were tips from regular clients and staff discount, but Cowshed is expensive so you had to be careful how often you use it.
Pros
Free lunch. Clients tips
Cons
Long hours, poor management, no incentives
Definitely NOT an investor in people
Staff (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire26 January 2017
When its busy its very interesting, you meet lots of new and interesting guests, when its quiet its boring, but behind the seams the company is a sham. Very bad management, no investment in the staff or their working conditions, and no consistency with the rules, contractual offers a free meal everyday, but more often than not, food is not provided or the food is left for hours upon hours uncovered which often makes staff sick. Highest staff turnover recorded. If a manager is in a bad mood everyone feels the brunt, management discuss with other employees about other employees. Worst job I've ever had, the ONLY thing keeping me here is my peers. Pay is not consistent for employees doing the same jobs, always promises made for advancement, but never come, but still take advantage of your skill sets. More managers than there are in their teams sometimes. Goal posts change almost every day and no visible health and safety amendments made after reviews if carried out at all, no annual performance reviews. Its all about the money, and how much the company can make at the cost of their staff. Managers are paid well beyond their abilities and staff are underpaid for their abilities and time.
Pros
Interesting Guests
Cons
Too many to mention
Innovative company with great training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 January 2017
Fun place to work that respects its employees. If you prove yourself you can work up the career ladder.
Learnt a lot about the importance of customer service and management skills.
Workplace culture is to work hard, which can mean long hours.
However yo do get to meet exciting, high profile people through work as well as clients.
Pros
Meeting exciting people
Cons
Great place to network and make connections
Fourth Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  London, England17 January 2017
Working at Shoreditch House was great but extremely high demanding with pressure. It was a members club thats reputation had to be maintained at the highest degree. Being a manager I was given great benefits but had a lot of expectations placed on me which I always delivered above and beyond. The hours were long and you weren't given a break which was a downfall. My co workers were great and it felt like one big family! I enjoyed meeting so many different people from around the world and also brining the Gym to the best it had ever been!!
Pros
free meals
Every department is different
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  England21 March 2016
Working as a freelancer I go to several of the Soho House locations and work with staff at all levels in different departments. Saw a difference in the way each department was managed but overall seems like a good place to work.
Great team and work place
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  London17 March 2016
Great place to work. Pay not amazing but you meet some great people both on the staff side and client. Hours are inconvenient, however - often finishing an 11hr shift at 4am!
Pros
Good contacts in the creative world, good food, good people
Cons
working hours
Fun workplace
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  London7 October 2015
Providing Technical support to all London based Soho Houses sites (club, cinemas, restaurants, spa and hotels). Assuring daily contact with the sites for technical checks and updates and providing solutions to technical troubleshoot that occurs on each site.
A positive place to work
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Cowshed10 July 2015
Working for Soho House taught me a great deal. The work load can be tough, however I have always thrive on a challenge. This was one of the very first companies that stuck to there word and helped to develop me in all aspects of the business and I would recommend to anyone to work for this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Soho House & Co. Our community is ready to answer.

Soho House & Co Reviews by Location