Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

Young company in the UK so some kinks to iron out, Loved this store and the team!
Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grays12 August 2017
A typical day for me was checking comms, setting up the day, accepting and processing delivery (or delegating it to someone), analysing figures and then actioning floor moves accordingly, updating visuals, training the team and of course, introducing the Smiggle product to the wide-eyed kids!

As a company, I really enjoyed the mix of structure and the amount of discretion that we had as managers. If you followed the instructions and delivered good "quality" sales (so strong KPIs even if footfall/turnover wasn't great), you would get recognised and appreciated.

In the store, I was lucky to have an experienced, "no-nonsense" manager and a wonderfully positive team. I helped open this store with my manager, who worked very hard to ensure we all achieved and exceeded our targets consistently. Probably the best boss I have had so far.

We had an AMAZING Area Manager. He had more of a mentor/coach management style as opposed to dictatorial which I have experienced in the past. I definitely learned a lot from him in terms of operations and people management as well as how to make smarter business decisions in order to improve profits.

I think the hardest part of the job was that the company was/is expanding too fast and wasn't focusing enough on the issues already at hand. So at my store level, that sometimes meant that we were stretched in terms of hours/support available. Eventually, it became exhausting for myself (personally) but I'll always have a soft spot for Smiggle!
Pros
Amazing learning experience, room for progression, popular company with its target market.
Cons
Insufficient level of support/resources from HQ, did not match the level of company expansion, and that would filter down to store level.
Nice place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2017
Smiggle offers a great stepping stone on the ladder to success. The flexible and fast paced working enviroment creates a different place to work every day.
Don't recomend
PIC (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire22 May 2017
On a daily basis it was mad. So much to do with no staff. Lone trading is the priority for the company. I felt like I had been taken advantage of on more than one occasion. I sacrificed time with my family to work extra hours​ to help out. No thanks was given.
Management are NOT organised and never reply. You have to think on your feet then get told off for doing so.
No toilet in the store so always took 10mins out of your day just to have a wee.
Time sheets were being changed e.g Worked 8 hours but only put down for 6 etc.

The only​ thing I really loved was seeing the loyal customers coming back in and forming relationships with them. I have missed them.

Unless you don't​ have a family and don't​ care about how you are treated then this is the job for you.
Pros
Staff discount.
Wouldnt Work Here Again
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester12 May 2017
Worked as a Christmas temp, the managers of the store expect you to do everything for them, once I got blamed for wrong prices even though I didn't put the tags up and it was, in fact, one of the managers that had done this. The managers never want you to be stood doing nothing or even talking for extra time than normal with a customer, regardless of them doing this or not. They would have someone they know come in and talk to them for a length of time. They would have drinks on the shop floor but I was not allowed too. The hours were demanding, I came in for a 9-2 but ended staying till close with only a half hour break for lunch. One manager is really snidey and hypocritical, puts on a smile and tries to be nice but then insults the way i work. Would definitely not work here again, couldn't think of anything worse!!!
Pros
i recieved extra pay because i was a temp and didnt take an annual leave
Cons
dont get paid overtime and sometimes over time is a good hour/hour and a half
Disgusting company to work for and horrid management
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  North East9 May 2017
Worst company I have ever worked, too many rules and procedures n nothing is ever good enough no appreciation at all! Affects home life on finishing late so if your looking for a 9-5.30 job u have no chance! Management are absolute bullies nothing is ever good enough and your rushed off your feet never get a full break and cannot leave store on breaks as no set time for deliveres turning up you get told off for leaving store. Lone trading everyday only get a 4 hour person in to cover over dinner and delivery etc. Too much pressure on targets and selling feel like your hounding customers. Promotion change every 2 weeks and it's a big one on every part of the store takes over 3-4 days to complete. The list is never ending!! Never feel valued as an employee and if you like being someone's scivvy then go for it. Honestly can say throughout my whole career this is the most distrusting company to work for.
Pros
Cons
Long hours and management
Really great place to work.
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Metrocentre, Tyne and Wear5 May 2017
The shop is always really busy but everyone who works there makes it a fun place. Everyone is happy to help if you need anything since you are new. The management are really lovely and happy to talk if you have any questions.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Short breaks and none if only working 4 hours.
Shocking company to work for!
ASM (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom1 May 2017
Disgusting company to work for! Get no thanks loads of loan trading! Regional manager think shes better than everyone else!! Talks down to you and is very rude. Expected to go above and beyond for them when they wont even give you a bit of appreciation. You get hardly any hours your expected to do alot as ASM!
Pros
Nothing at all.
Cons
The whole company is joke!
Productive and Fun environment.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent14 April 2017
A typical day at work starts with restocking shelf's, making kits, greeting customers and sorting out the days delivery. I've leaned communication skills and how to work in a team. the management at Smiggle are all incredibly friendly and are their to help you when you need support. The hardest part of the job reorganising the shop. Most enjoyable part is meeting new people.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday.
Cons
The benefits.
Dont work here
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merseyside2 March 2017
Awful place to work. The expectations of you are so high and you get nothing in return. Area and Regional managers are literally so condescending and treat you like a child. The Extra pay is not worth it!!
Appalling place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland27 February 2017
I worked here for 3 months and it was awful. Shifts are constantly changed at last minute and not a day goes by when you're not phoned and asked to come in. 4 hour contracts for all sales assistants and then they hire new people to give them more hours.

Treated like a child and expected to go above and beyond with no hint of a thanks, any favours you do will not be remembered so don't even bother. You are expected to push sales constantly when you get zero commission and it's minimum wage for a 21 year old, not worth it. Management try to con you out of breaks and have no clue how to run their own shops.

I was recently told my job would be turning into a saturday job which was not what i applied for, this company is an absolute shambles, too busy opening up as many stores as possible that they just abandon the ones they have and leave them stuck with terrible managers who have no clue.

The job itself isn't too bad when your manager is not constantly watching you and criticising you. Lots of lone trading, can't even go to the toilet.

It is fun when you get to be yourself and interact with customers but you rarely get a chance as there's so many sales targets to meet.
Cons
unpredictable hours, shocking management, lots of expectations, minimum wage if you're over 21
Fun and exciting place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk27 February 2017
fun and exciting place to work, can be exhausting as a lot is expected of you. great opportunity for progression and management are very approachable
Very hard work
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Uk25 February 2017
If you enjoy your own company and lone trading for hours on end this is the job for you it's very fast paced and very draining same thing day in day out. Your area manager will reduce your staff hours and try to make you save money all the time my advice would be stay clear of this company they are growing far too fast and haven't a clue what they are doing as for great benefits there is none......
Pros
Home time
Cons
Too many to mention
fun but unorganised management and not enough hours
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, UK23 February 2017
Very repetitive and dull, management appalling and unorganised. If the manager forgot to write a shift on the rota or left one out, you weren't paid for it and no proof unless you remember to note down your hours yourself. Christmas temps replacing original staff and getting more hours than us over xmas period. Not refunded train ticket costs for travelling to cover other stores. Products cheap tat and must've processed about 20 returns a day. Looks fun and is happy and colourful but overall disappointing, draining and stressful.
Pros
50% off staff discount
Cons
Expensive anyway, not enough hours.
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent1 February 2017
The typical day at work in smiggle would be going in with a positive attitude helping sort the shelves and helping customers find what they were looking for and with any enqieries they may have. I learned many new skills such as how to provide the best customer serivce and working on tills. The management was great and working was always fun. the hardest part would be pricing and shelving but it would get easier as time went on. The most enjoyable bit was working on the tills and seeing people get great customer serivce.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
small environment
Fun, room for progression and constant growth.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk20 January 2017
As a supervisor this was a fun place to work and learn skills. A small team, room for growth within company as they prefer to employ internally. Good communication throughout the regional stores with opportunities to progress and be involved in store set ups etc. Range of activities from customer service to merchandising. The training is very hands on, thrown in to learn on the job which may not suit everyone. The company is increasingly popular so the store gets very busy, predominantly kids and families, lots of stock to maintain so could be chaotic at times but always something to do. Very colorful, fun exciting company with very bright lighting, have to be enthusiastic and outgoing to work here. Hours can be inconsistent, with general 4 hour contracts for Sales Assistants, but subject to store and management.
Pros
50% employee discount, Fun team, Always busy, Lots of stock
Cons
Bright lighting, Lone trading
Over worked and under appreciated
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 January 2017
Staff are constantly expected to change shifts as hours are taken away/added at short notice. Deliveries were daily Monday to Friday and could arrive at any time so couldn't be planned into your day. Staff all on 4 hour contracts but yet are expected to be available whenever it suits the company and at very short notice
Pros
Lovely customers
Cons
Extended periods of lone trading, 12 hours one day with no chance to eat/visit the bathroom with the area managers full knowledge
Poor poor place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2017
Never have I hated getting up and going to work each day untill I joined this company !

The higher management treat you with such dissrespect and have no clue about manners .

There are never any salary reviews as the advert states and as for progress, it's kinda if your face fits and your a yes person then you'll go far !!!

Shocking place to work don't do it !
Pros
Cons
Too many
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant Person In Charge (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire6 January 2017
Fun, productive and well managed place to work.
However, work hours are not set in stone and therefore hard to have a work/life balance.
Even though on a low hour contract, multiple times ended up compulsory working more than that.
Pros
The people
Cons
changing of hours
great place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford Station6 January 2017
Had a good short period of time here despite it being Christmas and really busy, kept me productive. Everyone working was really friendly and it was a chance to improve skills as a sales assistant and work with different people. Customers are usually really nice also.
Slow burning but friendly.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading29 November 2016
I quite enjoyed working at Smiggle. it was a friendly environment filled with friendly people. the only thing I would say is that it is very slow burning. I worked here for just over a month and every day felt like sitting through a really bad movie.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiggle UK. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9