Sky Employee Reviews

Awful, brutal interview process
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  North East1 June 2017
Had an interview with this company a few months ago. It was ok to start with but as others have mentioned they want a lot of paperwork from you. Then there is a role playing exercise in which they just go for your jugular. There is just no need for this. How about treating people with a bit more respect? I know people who actually work here and they don't have a life outside work. It's an awful place to work and I wouldn't recommend anyone goes here. To sum up "Pure Nastyness".
Pros
Cons
No work life balance and nasty interviews
Awful company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire11 April 2017
Gives no feedback on the interview process but yet requires a lot of paperwork to be completed beforehand. Waste of time. Awful management! Do not bother with this job it's not worthwhile
Pros
Cons
Awful company, shocking management
Fear and bullying
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Feild17 March 2017
Company ruled by fear , team managers upwards, any problems resolved through intimidation not compassion, Very much a bullying culture and a massive disrespect for customers, engineers now required to sell to customers, a process of manipulation whereby customer is persuaded to spend more money on their sky subscription to save money, company earnings a bit flat so they will use sales I.e subsciption upgrades and screen clean as an extra revenue stream.Its all about the money , not recomended working for sky to any of my freinds, freind beware ..
Pros
Better pay than giro dole
Cons
Too many to list, just beware.
Worst place I have worked by a country mile
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  South East22 September 2016
The most outrageous company I have worked for, the first 5 weeks of training are good until you get chucked in at the deep end with 9 jobs due to Christmas demand. Don't get me wrong the lads I worked with were amazing and helped me out always. But most days as a new engineer you would start at 8 at your drop box and could be anywhere which would leave my day slaving away until 8/9pm, as a new engineer it's hard to keep up, management wasn't to bad they would help you or organise help for you but if you was out of your area on your own then your on your own. Health and safety is a absolute joke with this company. Takes at least 20 minutes to get your ladders set for the job let alone put a dish up/ get signal/ run cable/ install and set box up all in 46 minutes which your allocated for a single box install. If you do work there don't go up a ladder with no Heath and safety as I did up 2 steps clipping cable and got suspended and eventually dismissed. Even though your allowed to stand on a tool box which you are given with a step on it that is about the same hight as the ladder I was on also allowed up a combination ladder with no health and safety on as long as your clipping cable but because I was on a triple section ladder which I deem safer then a combi I get sacked. Also the disciplinary is a laugh, the process took over a month to have my first meeting to which I was dismissed. I then appealed which then the meeting didn't happen until 3 months and a couple of days after my initial suspension. Which HR worked out to a tee that I couldn't take them to court due to it being  more... over 3 months since my original suspension. For a company so big I would avoid like the plague. NOT A DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEE, more like frustrated and disappointed in the treatment for the money you get paid.  less
Pros
Free sky, good colleagues, personal mileage
Cons
Long hours, awful management, terrible health and safety
Best Job I've Ever Had!
Talent Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Osterley21 September 2016
I've now worked at Sky for a year and can honestly say it is the best place I have ever worked.
You feel like you have autonomy in your role to make decisions and define your own role.
Managers are always there when you need them and are very knowledgeable.
I feel as though Sky is somewhere I can stay for a long long time to come. There are many opportunities to progress upwards or sidewards (to learn new skills).
I also feel I have achieved great life/work balance by working from home at least one day a week.
In summary, everyone I've met at Sky are friendly and approachable, yet also at the same time challenging the status quo and striving to do better every day.
Pros
Flexible Working. Subsidised Food. Career Opportunities
Customer Service Advisor
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport4 September 2016
A typical day at work includes taking calls from customers regarding their ongoing broadband, TV or phone issues. Customer are never happy, and quite rightfully so. Training does not reflect what the actual work is. Training is never implemented in the work environment. Management also does not provide support and is quite focused on the sales rather then resolving issues for the customer. The hardest part of the job is to get a good NPS score back, which is quite a challenege as a customer who does not have working Broadband, phone or TV will not give you a good NPS score. NPS score is realistically for Sky as a company, however Sky force this score on the advisor. Nothing is enjoyable, only thing enjoyable is speaking to your co-workers who are in the same postion as you and always complaining of the NPS score. A very high dropout percentage. People leave as quickly as they come.
Pros
Cons
Salary, long ours, business demands, Sky will use you as they please
Awful!!!!
Retentions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Uddingston1 August 2016
If you want to be investigated without your knowledge and hear through the grapevine of other people being investigated without THEIR knowledge, work for SKY!! If you want management telling employees personal business of yours, blocking you on social media without knowing you, gossip fest, your private business is spoke about by all management. Toxic place. Job is trying to retain customers who want to leave, you have to save at least 75% of them or you are managed into a performance plan, if you are struggling retaining customers with no support you will be put on a performance plan and eventually disciplined ...job wouldn't be so bad if all management changed and wages matched the role. DO NOT APPLY.
Pros
Easy to drive to
Cons
Bad management, investigation happy, management discussing private business, toxic
Shift working employees are treated badly.
Transmission Controller (Current Employee) –  Sky Studios, Osterley27 July 2016
Shifts are long (12HR) and are in 7 or 5 day blocks, alternating between nights and day shifts. The worst possible way to work shifts.
Anyone who complains or develops health problems becomes a target from bullying and intimidating managers.
No unions are recognised and there is no employee representation.
Managers are not usually seen until you have a technical problem when they will try and pin the fault in you leading to loss of increment, bonus and possibly sacking.
Terrible employee - management relations.
Pros
Salary + Benefits
Cons
Treated like second class employees
Sales Advisor
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline15 April 2016
A typical day at sky:-

I work on inbound calls for the retension department, I do 3 full days a week with 2 hrs off per day for breaks, It is a hard but very rewarding job.
Pros
free sky and nice enviroment to work
Productive work place.
Sales Agent (DORT) (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 April 2016
When you look at the business of sky, you would easily thing of a larger corporate monster whom would be impersonal to the general public and mainly care about its profit margins and such however although as it is a multi million pound company, yes they care about profit margins they care about doing it in the right way.

The business is open, friendly, passionate with what their specific departments are in control of, majority of the leaders within the Newcastle office are driven and focused bosses who want to better themselves & members of their team.

Each team is a family in its own right who will help one another with problems and look after customers together to give the customer a much better journey than an impersonal automated machine would.
Pros
free sky tv with discounts to broadband, bonus, pension, health care
Cons
long hours, not many chances to further yourself
Brilliant, loved it!!
Network Implementation Project Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Slough Trading Estate10 April 2016
Work is challenging and very varied. The managers and fellow colleagues are lovely. Great atmosphere, everyone is really friendly, loads of banter with a work hard play hard attitude.
Pros
Staff
Cons
My contract wasn't extended
Fantastic place
TELESALES EXECUTIVE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 April 2016
Great staff and work colleagues and very sociable, great places to eat due to location. Free sky if you pass probation and opportunities to progress in various departments and roles.
Great supporting network from team members and other departments.
Pros
canteen and great places to eat plus free sky
Cons
unsociable hours if located outside of cardiff
Great Company
Unipart bSkyb Contract (Current Employee) –  Coventry29 March 2016
I believe I could bring a wide variety of skills and have a massive ability to learn in high pressure environment, in which I have proven in all of my previous roles, I believe i am now at the age in which a career is a must and I am willing to push the boundy and think outside the box to ensure this becomes reality.
Amazing atmosphere
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Sheffield29 March 2016
I was only at SKY's Customer Contact Centre in Sheffield for a week but you really got a feel for the place. There were many break out rooms to go sit and eat or talk away. They had table tennis and pool so staff could play games on their break and relax. There was a canteen where everything was discounted for staff, and plus side, the food was brilliant. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and always said hello when you passed them. They constantly kept spirits up. As there was a launch day they handed out free drinks and snacks and people were very thankful and cheery.
Terrible place to work the management are bullies and they only want the customers money.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scotland21 March 2016
Sky are only interested in you getting your stats contributing to the overall team score that's it.

Don't bother asking a manager for help or ask them to listen to a phone call because either they will say they are too busy or will convienantly forget to do it. They will also talk behind customers backs and will generally patronise them on the phone, managers wont even authorise refunds when it is a genuine case and convienantly there is no way to track that unless you just accept the customers word.

Forget ever being sick because they will not help you even with ptsd, it took me another 2 years after leaving to get to the bottom of a medical problem which turned out to be very serious. I was called not fit for purpose, the data protection act was broken on several occasions where I spoke to people in confidence and that information was passed back to the individual I was complaining about, however I am happy that individual has been sacked due to restructuring as have several others.
Pros
Team days, fun events
Cons
Bad management, workplace bullying, constant patronising, no customer focus.
Good to start with, then shocking at the end!!!
Installation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow19 March 2016
When I first started in my role I enjoyed all parts of the job, EVEN working in all sorts of weather working under two great managers who encouraged progression and a great team environment who all enjoyed working together. However my third and final manager was the straw that broke the camels back, poor communication, lack of leadership, negative team environment, stifled progression and a targeted bullying culture!!
Pros
Free sky
Cons
Work too many weekends, TERRIBLE management
A new day a new start!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham18 March 2016
A typical day would be turning up to work not knowing what to expect, as you are in control to an extent of what happens and who you interact with and the challenge of getting sales.
I have learned many things from colleagues and customers alike as in no one is the same everyone is motivated by different things and how team work can help and how sometimes working on your own is essential.
Hardest part of the job i would say is dealing with rejection.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having fun with my customers and helping them to the best of my ability whether it is getting a sale or helping them with their account.
hard work
Sales Advisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  South East29 February 2016
every morning one stands in the cold to sell the product,hardwork.
You dont have the right tools to demonstratethe product.
exciting work environment
Customer Service (temp) (Former Employee) –  Luton15 February 2016
typical day at work consisted of approaching peopleat the mall about sky services and then referring interested parties to the sales person
Pros
go pay
Cons
talking too much in a day
Fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Falkirk3 February 2016
I enjoyed working at sky and met some lovely people. I was part time so i only worked Monday to Friday 5pm to 9pm. My team leader was so helpful and was always pushing us to do better, set better goals and making sure we achieved these! The hardest part about the job would have been when i got a call through and someone asks a question that i don't specialise in, in this kind of situation i would need to read through all of the training and slowly take the customer through the steps of sorting out their problem. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i met, i still keep in contact with most of them. SKY is like a big family and i enjoyed my time with them. With this position being part time i left for something full time.
Pros
Starbucks on site
Cons
Short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sky. Our community is ready to answer.