Selfridges Employee Reviews

Exciting retail environment
Kids and Toys Brand Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
Selfridges is an exciting retail employer, offering generous discounts and incentives, job stability and the opportunity to progress in a variety of departments and functions.

The job involves working alongside many different teams, all working as one to drive success in a busy retail environment.
Pros
Generous discounts, incentives
Cons
Long hours depending on role
An exciting store constantly evolving
SALES ASSOCCIATE (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 January 2018
Receiving delivery checking delivery, replenishing floor stock. customer interaction, selling the product, promoting the products, sampling products with customers, promoting the brand store account card, as well as brand vouchers. Overall promoting the Brand name of Selfridges and Co, by going above the expected level of customer service
Pros
good level of discount across the company
Cons
Sometimes overlooked for promotion
Selfridges
Stylist at Karen Millen (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 January 2018
i worked in Selfridges just under 3 years. My time was fun and amazing as i got to meet many people in my time. It was tricky having a life outside work as i didn't have set days off which meant i would do long days and hours
Pros
discount
Cons
progression
average
Part time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 January 2018
it was an experience working in one of the biggest and fast pace shopping department. its either for you or not and in my case it wasn't. i have learnt a lot which have helped me down the line in working in my current role.
Pros
very multicultural
Cons
its a bit too miliant in terms of how they want you to work there
Selfridges Summed Up
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 January 2018
It honestly depends on what department you work in within Selfridges, but if you are a concession employee you get absolutely no benefits. Only own bought employees are given discount. A lot is expected from you for little in return. However, you meet the BEST friends and other staff there. Everyone is friendly and helpful, some have been there for over 15 years. Welcoming environment but don't expect an easy ride.
Pros
Friends for life, supportive and promotional opportunities
Cons
long hours, expensive parking, no social life
Lovely atmosephere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London2 January 2018
It was my first job in London.
I worked there for six years in the food hall fruit and vegetables department. Every year there was an event based on country and culture. I enjoyed the Indian one, we had some Bollywood celebrities,who visited during the period.
For me the hardest part to learn was taking orders on fruit basket as I had fits of nervous breakdowns sometimes but I could manage it in short time later.
That work place was one I always going to miss.
Pros
Learning by doing, active communications in German language
Cons
Pressure
nice colleague, bad management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London21 December 2017
working as concession sales assistant, nice experience in general, but too much floatation on staff members, some temporary members from agency really don't know what there were doing.
when it's really busy, and you need a manager to override prices, they never show up after you've called them.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
unfair member discount
Just a name
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London11 December 2017
Behind this doors is the amazing history of mass consumption and the big difference between rich and poor.
Very mentally exhausting, around Christmas time is very busy. I don't mind hard work but it's disturbing how much they are promoting buying buying and buying

NOTICE probably you will wait a lot for your first salary
-Getting paid monthly
They count a working month the start and the end of 13th each month ( +/- a few days not sure) but you are getting paid on 30th
So I end up not getting paid for almost 2 months.

- It is pretty miserable salary but it depends which shop you are working for. I was working for ALL SAINTS and it was really sad the amount shop was making and my salary

NOT PAID LUNCH TIME
If you work less than 8 hours ( It happend I was working 6h every night) don't get even 10 min break

Good thing is that you add the name of selfridges to your CV, even that is just a shiny facade
Pros
In harrolds is worse
Cons
Long wait to get paid
productive workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 December 2017
Very productive workplace compared with other retail companies.
employment training will be given along with staff support, which makes everyone feel important of themselves.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London1 December 2017
Here I was were I really learnt about customer service, the standard that is required. I would serve and engage with customers as much as possible, generally the people were very friendly and it was very cohesive. I enjoyed working in the environment, however at the time the travel cost was very high.
Pros
I learnt a lot about customer service
Cons
Travel cost/pay
Fun and very young fashion trend .
Style Director (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street22 November 2017
Selfridges is a another high end department store with lot of Young more fresh ideas , it more the sportive type of department store and not too much luxury as Harrods.
Pros
Fresh, motivate fashion, young and ambitious type of clientele
Cons
Cant think of any.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London16 November 2017
I was a Christmas temp. I manly worked evening shifts. the day stayed consistent. There was peak times where the shop floor would become very busy, especially in the Christmas department, which I loved. It made me feel very useful that I was helping these customers, especially during the festive period. I would love to do it again.
Pros
1 hrs lunch break
chilled back place to work
Luxury Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  London9 November 2017
Nice place to work, being able to work in a luxurious environment and giving customers a personal stylist experience is what made working at selfridges so unique.
Pros
events going on in the store
Leadership with respect and productivity
Customer Services Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London6 November 2017
With over ten years of creating customer experience environment, along with developing customer service excellence and driving teams to deliver the unexpected, I bring invaluable experience and a strong customer needs knowledge.
I am a strong and energetic leader with experience in developing, managing and motivating sales and service teams. My ability to spot emerging opportunities and my hands-on approach, has helped me to drive change and achieve goals in the fast pace and results focused luxury sector that is both people and services based.
Great experience short term, unsustainable long term
Buying Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2017
Fast paced, stretched, progression slow and underpaid. Great for 2 years max, unsustainable long term. You are exposed and learn a lot quickly but it is consuming.
Luxurious and decent workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester City Centre, Greater Manchester3 November 2017
I had only one month part time job in Manchester, Selfridges and it is worth place for People who wanna gain more experience on customer service and client-facing jobs.
The work environment is very nice and it's easy to see many luxuries around even you can't afford. The customers you face are almost decent and well-educated. The manager is quite friendly and would like to help and teach you many related tips.
Overall, it is a good place to work but not the long-term consideration for me.
Pros
cheap cafe for staff
Cons
long working time
Lack of values
MEN'S PERSONAL SHOPPING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street26 October 2017
Most enjoyable: the staff and the creativity side
Workplace culture: Not people oriented.
Management: Not supportive
I learned that luxury retailing is not for me... I felt very unhappy there.
Pros
Meeting famous people in our premium space
Cons
Authoritarian management, poor attitude
negative
manager (Former Employee) –  food hall23 October 2017
incredibly long working hours due to very little organisation and lack of planning. no appreciations and somehow unethical workplace. lack of professionalism at all levels.
exhausting shifts, last minutes demands, no recognitions. lack of communication means that you are receiving different and contradictory instructions from the different managers. you might witness argument between bosses on a regular bases. very depressing workplace. not recommended
Cons
disorganised, unethical, unfair, expectation unclear, long shifts
productive workplace
Retail Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Birmingham9 October 2017
Receiving delivery, putting out stock on shop floor before store opens. Ensuring clothes make a up o trend outfit. Work with a great team, helping customers with outfit ideas.
Great fun place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2017
Excellent energy and excitement every day in Selfridges also promo happening. All the staff get on great and are friendly. Staff well looked after and respected.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selfridges. Our community is ready to answer.

Selfridges Reviews by Location