Screwfix Employee Reviews

Was a very good place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire16 January 2018
Only reason i left was because of bank mix up or i would still be there very good place to work for.Management were all very approachable workload was good and managable
Pros
Good canteen
Cons
Silly shifts
Worst job I have ever had
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London chingford14 January 2018
I work at a branch in London so we open at 6am and close at 10pm.
This would be ok if the managers were fair but my current manager has made friends with a group of students who work there and they get all the best shifts. If any of them want to swap shifts then its absolutely fine but if anyone else if they ask to swap shifts, its "No we dont allow shift swaps". They also get all the best jobs while others like me get to bring in and put out delivery etc. Yoo choiceu are basically told when you can take your holidays too. No choice in the matter.
I would say that if you have a good management team you might be OK working for Screwfix but maybe Im just unlucky. There is the manager who is trying to manage people out that he dont like and the assistant manager just sits at a desk doing absoulutely nothing unless its a bit of paperwork that is absolutely necessary. Some staff are allowed to not turn up or continuously be late and thats fine they can get away with it.
So basically if you have a decent manager and can put up with early starts and late finishes you might be fine but personally its the worst job I have ever had and I am frantically looking for other work.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
Early starts, late closes, awful management
Great team, bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Consett3 January 2018
I worked at Screwfix for almost two years and still would have been there if not for my Store Manager, he was nothing but a bully and is on a big power trip.

The team at Consett are great and the benefits at the company also, with them having a Pension Scheme, Share Save and 5 weeks worth of Holidays with a lot of over time.
Pros
Overtime and Team
Cons
Bullying and Nasty Manager
Worst place to work
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepshed, Leicestershire2 January 2018
Out of all the jobs I have had this is the worst job to work for, mainly due to the management. Poor management. Training isn’t done in the correct manner and profession. Staff just stand about chatting whilst your busy putting delivery away alone. Intimidated and loss of respect. Not challenging enough, very quiet with not many customers coming in.
Pros
Discount
Cons
8pm finishes, management, quiet, not challenging enough
Relaxed atmosphere most of the time
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepton Mallet, Somerset30 December 2017
Flexible hours to suit. Above minimum wage. It is in a good catchment area to travel to and from the surrounding towns and villages. 20% discount in all screwfix stores and 10% in B&Q
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire29 December 2017
Working here is easy, but they're very picky with who they employ. Internal disputes are handled poorly and the managers set themselves far away from the employee.
When I worked here, I became the victim of discrimination when some of the staff decided they don't like working with me instead of carrying on or trying to work with me I was instead slammed with allegations of harassment and abuse. The managers were not interested in sorting this out they instead elected to dismiss me as fast as humanly possible.
The pay and benefits are ok, only marginally better than average but the job feels insecure and they insist that you keep to the same work arrangements as originally agreed on upon their job offer.
The proverbial dangling carrot is popular amongst the staff when discussing internal prospects.
Pros
Great customers, employee benefits and discount
Cons
Lazy management and lack of communication between management and employees
Every Store is Different
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London28 December 2017
Well all reviews are honest I hope so as another honest person here is mine. I have worked for many several stores for over 10 years and everyone is different. Whether a Sales assistant, supervisor, Manager, Branch manager or part of the trade team, every role is challenging. Its how the team is that either makes it a great store to work or the worst ever. Yep it's true some managers are lazy. It's about finding the right management team and store to make it the best place to work. I've been through alot with Screwfix with personal issues, some have helped and others have not (No longer they work for us). But overall it's a interesting place to work, everyday is different. Customers are great, the odd few who are not, but the next customer will make your day if your into providing excellent customer service. Colleagues: well some are workers and some are lazy, the lazy ones you need to stop talking to them and the workers are your best friends. We work with each other more than we see our own family so those who do poo all can spin, so the reviews about back stabbing is very true but only because they allow it. We should as good employees wash out the junk who make us work hard. If only the management could see this. I have seen some honest people sacked in management and those who cheat still working there. If I spent an hour with the CEO, Sky News would have breaking News that Screwfix have sacked 100 plus employees for gross misconduct. Apart from that, Its a great place to work when you find the right store and MAKE the right team. 11 years on, I'm still here.
Pros
Customers make your day
Cons
Need to be flexible more on Rota
Avoid
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey27 December 2017
Got to be careful of certain people around you it's best to concentrate on your own responsibilities and not get involved with anyone gossip.

Some management are snobs and will shout out your failures and whisper your success. They are very quick to put you down but very slow to help out.

Customers are a pain in the backside and treat you like your a nobody expecting you to give them a solution to all their life problems including ones who's wife's cheated on them with their plumbers.

Only minimal recognition and they make you work constantly with no pauses.

Managers will not give a monkey if your hours conflict with anything outside of work.
Pros
20% off discount
Cons
Too much workload, work hours may not balance with life style also underpaid
Mangement will make you feel little, gets boring / repetaive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea16 December 2017
I'm currently working for Screwfix alongside Universtiy,

If you working in the main store of your area expect it to be busy.

Learning at the job can be frustrating at times as there are so many things to take into account.

The management is last to help you out and the first to give you disciplinary action and make you feel little as possible.

The hardest part is having expectations set very high by managers

If you have good communication skills you will have a great time on SBS (shopfloor) and will make friends easily with your colleagues just be careful of the mangers
Pros
Good work force
Cons
Pay is poor and unreasonable for the level of work required for partime and full time
Generally a good company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 December 2017
A good company to work for. Good bonus scheme. Alot of hard working individuals. Good career progression. Always had good customer experiences and good customer feedback.
productive and enjoyable
Trade sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire12 December 2017
enjoyable work environment friendly staff hours can be long as store closes at 8pm weekdays unfortunately management work hours around what suits them and not what helps others or company needs
easy to work for
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland12 December 2017
job role itself is good not to hard of a graft.
learned how to use the systems and how to use the gun to put away stock in the right locations.
management is good.
Pros
Cons
no full time hours
Dont look after staff
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon11 December 2017
Used to be a nice place to work but in last couple of months have become more target and results driven and less interested in their people.
Quick to throw disciplinaries at anyone for anything
ok place to work
trade manager (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey7 December 2017
my team was very good at their job which made it a bit more easier for me , no aspect of promotion within the company , I was stuck in rut with no signs of progressing through the company and no wage rise .
Fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh1 December 2017
Great company to work for Easily work for them again don’t expect you to be up to speed straight away give you a few weeks to settle in really enjoyed my time working for them
Pros
Discount
Cons
Open 12hours a day
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Basford30 November 2017
It is great place to work, management are great, cant do enough for you. There used to be a supervisor that thought she was the bees knees but was a complete idiot and self centred, but luckily they realised they couldn't cope with what this job entailed so they left. It can be hard work, but with the right team its fantastic.
Poor management
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire27 November 2017
when i first started it was great however as time went by they became very controlling and stopped looking after workers. You get no praise for work you do
Pros
B&Q discount
Cons
Management, customers, everything
fun place
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braintree22 November 2017
Typical day consisted of serving customers, answering phone calls, calling other stores, accepting delivery, putting delivery away.

Management were brilliant, all positive and happy to help whenever.
Pros
management
Cons
nothing
Intimidatimng at times but a good time overall
Customerv assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 November 2017
A typical day at Screwfix consisted of a lot of work. You start to realise as your time there progresses that you end up doing a lot more work than more senior members of staff.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Expected to do a lot more work than the managers
Screwfix
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London21 November 2017
I had bad times n good times
Its all about helping customer And gave ur best serivces and do the task ahead of ur and keep on asking silly questiin and its okk
Pros
No good
Cons
Silly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.