SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Happy and fun work place
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oldbury28 September 2017
I may have only been at SMC for one week but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the experience that I gained. All the employees that I met were kind and always happy to help even though they played tricks on me which was quite funny.
Abbey Junior School
Learning Support Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Abbey Junior School29 August 2017
A very busy and full-on day every day. I never stop. Love this environment.

Greeting parents and children at the beginning of the day. Registration and settling in the children and explaining to them how their morning will be organised.

Supporting the children in groups and individually for Maths and English lessons. Supplying the correct work from the planning given to you the week before by the lead teacher. Although sometimes this does not always happen until the last minute.

Preparing out-door learning and organising fruit and milk breaks.

Toilet breaks are a regular feature throughout the day especially before play and lunch times.

I also have dinnertime duties everyday which involve guiding the children into the lunch hall and dismissing them into the playground making sure each child has eaten.

Afternoon duties include placing many different play activities out for inside and outside in all weathers through learning. To supervise safe play especially outside whilst climbing trees and using play equipment.

Settling children for home time and equipping them with letters and hand made objects they have made during the day.

Dismissing the children to the correct parents at the end of the day and or escorting children to after school clubs and activities.

Organising the next days work and activities and tidying up after a busy day.
Pros
Busy and never boring
Cons
Not enough hours
Great place
Mechanic Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cradley Heath23 August 2017
Did a nvq apprenticeship with Sandwell mbc great to work for nice people great pay for apprentiship clean and tidy environments and great management..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hard to progress
A fun and enjoyable workplace
Lunchtime Supervisory Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands10 August 2017
Typical day of work is cleaning the hall and interacting with kids after dinner time. I learned cleaning and people skills whilst working at the school, the management is to keep you informed throughout the work period, the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the kids and work mates at the school
Pros
Fits in with children's holidays
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and learn new things
Rapid responce team (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands23 July 2017
I thought working with Sandwell council was a good idea. For those people who want to go on work experience to get a taste of what each trade is like, i would recommend it.
Pros
Lift from work there and back
Cons
Waiting around for work
Good honest work place
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  West Midlands27 June 2017
I worked at Sandwell council for two weeks for work experience I experienced a lot of different things and thoroughly enjoy manual labour.i enjoyed the variety of different jobs each day
Welcomed and honoured for my work
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands15 June 2017
My short time at Sandwell for work experience was good I had a laugh and learnt all new techniques. Sandwell showed me what they have to do and how they do it they never missed a thing out.
Pros
Cons
Had to pay for everything
good
Part Time Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Sandwell9 June 2017
my line of work each day is very different to the next as i work with a range of young people all over Sandwell who face different issues in their life ranging from alcohol, drugs, self harm, confidence issues, anti social behaviour, and gangs. the most enjoyable part of my job is helping young people gain confidence and tackle the issues they face day to day also helping them overcome their problems.
Supportive Employer
Acting Divisional Accountant (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, UK7 June 2017
I worked for the council for 18 years where I worked my way up with their support from a supernumery clerical assistant to an Acting Divisional Accountant.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Needed another challenge
great job
bin man (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands2 May 2017
If you like to be out door's then this is definitely the job the houres are early starts but once you out on the round the time fly's by if you don't mind the smells then if s the perfect job
A council with ambition to serve its community well
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Oldbury, West Midlands20 April 2017
A council strongly led by elected members working closely with directors and service managers. Very strong commitment to local people and to address the longstanding deprivation in the borough. Good committed people serving a warm and friendly local community
Enjoyable
Learning Support Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Tipton, West Midlands10 April 2017
Good management. Lots of training provided including all up to date training for supporting children with current training for all policies in a children's educational environment.
Excellent place to work for
Capita Open Contractor (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, UK22 February 2017
i worked here for nearly 2 years. Enjoyed everyday working here. If was a varied job i had when working here. I helped with the Service desk and also the desktop support team
Forward looking Authority
Manager (Former Employee) –  Council House1 February 2017
As many Local Authorities, Sandwell applies all legislation required of it so makes working for them enjoyable, with clean friendly atmosphere.
The Council has put a number of practices in place which assist in the promotion of staff well being.
The culture is one of together we can achieve.
Pros
Local Authority employer
Cons
Reducing funding
Property Services
Commercial Property Officer (Current Employee) –  Oldbury, West Midlands19 January 2017
Enjoyable hard working environment with good people. Work is continuous and challenging. Best part of the job is to be able to complete a case load and have a great pleasure of providing a vital service.
Pros
Flexiable hours
Cons
Pressurised case loads
Fab workplace
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wednesbury7 November 2016
Fab. Great company. I have learned to work with children and support them to the best of my abilities. I know how to help them improve. I enjoy being able to turn to my co-workers for help if I need it and vice versa. Management are great too! My favourite part of the job is helping these children blossom, after all.. they only have one shot.
Working as a volunteer
Voluntary Researcher (Current Employee) –  Sandwell24 September 2016
I participated in a domestic violence needs assessment gathering information on the services that are provided for victims and perpetrators in the Sandwell area. Updated confidential data ensuring that all relevant information is secure and following procedures. Gathered an understanding of all the risk factors that are implemented and in place for high/medium cases. Shadowed important meetings and became aware of all partner agencies and how each organisation work together to try and prevent domestic abuse incidences, whilst also making sure each case is reported and dealt with accordingly.
Pros
Gained Important Experience
Good team environment
Administrative Officer/ programme co ordinator (Current Employee) –  Sandwell21 September 2016
Varied roles undertaken, vast amount of experience and knowledge gained.
Meeting deadlines with processing weekly and monthly payroll.
Enjoy working with others and dealing with queries.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No progression
Productive and fun workplace
Accounts Payable Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oldbury11 May 2016
Overall a good place to work

Having worked there for 25yrs l gained considerable knowledge with help from co workers management also have a good in house training team.
Pros
Good Salarary and Annual leavew entitlement
Cons
Budgets being cut by goverment
Work Life Balance - Brilliant
Service Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Oldbury, ENG23 March 2015
A great company to work for, flexible working scheme, supportive managers, has given me a variety of experience, but there is no room for progression given my current circumstances.
Pros
Supportive Organisation
Cons
Hardwork cant really be rewarded