Saga Employee Reviews

Once great company gone downhill
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Thanet, Kent23 September 2017
Once a great company to work for. When Saga was owned by the family of the founder it was the best company I had ever worked for. The only target being excellent Customer service. As soon as a management buy out took place things started to change almost immediately. Sales targets were introduced and gradually increased to an almost unattainable level. Dismissals for failure to hit targets were frequent. Hard earned commission was reduced or removed by failure to include one or two precise words in a telephone conversation with a Customer. System failures were common. Team meetings were no more than an information shower with employees' concerns never passed back up the chain of command. Sadly, Saga had gone the same way as many other companies with only those at the top of the food chain reaping the benefits of the efforts of those at the lower end of the chain. The most objectionable part of the job was having to sell additional products to elderly people that they didn't want or need.
pressured workplace
Sales (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex18 September 2017
The workplace was very pressured and it seemed the more you did the more was wanted from you. The hardest thing was selling additional things to the customer. The most enjoyable was talking to the customer and being able to help them even if they didn't want to take on additional cover.
On the whole I found my colleagues very nice, the management were just management they didn't impress me to that extent. They had targets to meet and that was passed onto us.
The last thing I will say is that Saga need to stay in contact with their company who check references so as to avoid any confusion.
Pros
consessions on insurance & holidays
Cons
Hours
Stressful place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent16 September 2017
Stressful place to work with poor work life balance due to constantly changing shift patterns. You also get timed for comfort breaks which is time spent going to the toilet. Hardest part of the job is sitting down all day taking call after call. Best part of the job, the people you make friends with.
Pros
The people
Cons
Poor work life balance
Non flexible hours
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Hertford5 August 2017
Working as a carer means giving up your social life. I worked there when I was young so for me I felt like it was not the right job for me at the time. However, it was great working with the elders and it was very rewarding
Pros
Sense of achievement
Cons
Long and unsociable hours
Excellent forward thinking Healthcare company
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire - Community3 August 2017
I love working here!

Great team in the field and lovely clients.The team leaders are always there for you.

Flexible rotas which makes me feel valued.
Pros
Benefits, extra hours and mileage
Cons
Occasional delay in getting the rota out
Lovely clients
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Community hertfordshire24 May 2017
Lovely clients. Poorly run. Office staff aren't very good. They pester you to do overtime but then over cram your week
They don't tell clients if you are running late and they lie about it
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
They expect everything and give nothing back
mixed feelings - draining at times but fun work enviroment in my team
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent9 May 2017
If it wasn't for the on floor fun and jokes with other colleagues within my team I doubt I would of lasted this long In the call centres on the phone.
in busy periods its hard to stay productive I feel they ask a lot of you with badly spaced breaks throughout the day.
too many targets to hit and too many issues that can cause those
targets not to be possible to hit.
most enjoyable part is when you get a nice customer on the phone or if your lucky for some down time to sit and chat and have a laugh with colleagues which doesn't happen often
Pros
team mates, benefits, I have a good manager
Cons
long hours, holiday sometimes hard to get, system issues
Saga
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, United Kingdom26 April 2017
The role was based within offices where I dealt with car claims over the telephone (both inbound and outbound) with customers belonging to Saga and third party customers. The purpose of my role was to ensure the claim process ran as smoothly as possible for the third party involved in the coalition. This role also had weekly targets which I was able to meet.
Worse place to work avoid
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex11 February 2017
An alfuw place to work, they treat the staff like rubbish and you are just a number to them. It was hel on earth working for them. They have manages who can't do their job and take out their personal problems on their team. Avoid working here. They force overtime on you and if you already have plans or other commitments to bad they don't give u a choice.
Cons
Bad pay, long hour, forced overtime, abusive customers
Very warm and great work place
Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Kent6 February 2017
A typical day at work would be for me a great time to challenge myself, I love knowing that I have made an achievement at least once a day. Its good to always have that mind set to go the extra mile at whatsoever you do. In saga I learned not only the basics to my role but also the ethics too, every workplace has its own culture and sagas was warm, friendly and welcoming, everyday was a day to look forward to. Speaking of culture it always felt merry to be in the office with my team, the culture for saga was amazing teamwork. every team had incentives and it made the workplace very fun to be in. hard work was always awarded. As enjoyable as the workplace was I found it very hard when I first joined, I lacked confidence and I lacked belief in my skills, but with time I found that those weaknesses actually became my strengths. The most enjoyable parts of my job was getting appreciated for my efforts and also working with a bunch of great people.
Pros
1 hour luch break
Cons
compulsory overtime
Excellent company
Customer advisor/Team manager/Department manager (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex31 January 2017
Well structured between customer service and sales, clean and positive.

Possibly a case of who you are managed by as there is a lack of support but with that you get the freedom to excel
Pros
Great atmosphere clear progression plans
Cons
Shifts
Not So Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex7 January 2017
I was a sales Advisor on the phones, it starts of so great training is amazing and to be honest everything is sugar coated ALOT, when you get to the floor is when you really learn though! You do get abused a lot on the phone and it is hard work! Near the end of my time there I was diagnosed with mental health issues, I was unfortunately penalised because of that, if I said I was having an off day and that I needed a bit of support it was 'snap out of it and get on' eventually the stress got to me so much that I began to do everything wrong eventually leading to my end at the company! If you do want to work there it is fun but management and their thoughts on issues is AWFUL!
Pros
Meet amazing people (colleagues) and pay
Cons
Management, customers are always angry at the ridiculous prices. Very negative atmosphere
Bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent22 December 2016
Do not work for them they do not know how to manage you from the start. the staff turn over is

You will just be answering calls and getting abused
Pros
Money
Cons
Managment
Counterintuitive yet still productive
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hastings15 September 2016
I feel as if Saga has some great pathways you can choose from. It is a very good place to go for confidence building, skill learning and general socialising. Yet some of the management department suffer greatly. They lack crucial skills, knowledge and empathy for others. It essentially is a glorified Lone Ranger mission, with seldom bursts of teamwork; unless of course you are in the top section of the hierarchy.
You definitely have to adapt an 'Ignorance is bliss' approach to further yourself in the company.
Pros
Great in company benefits, salary, discounts off company products
Cons
You're faced with idiots, the system is corrupt, unrealistic expectations
Extremely stressfull
travel/motor sales advisor (Current Employee) –  middelburg, folkestone8 September 2016
I have worked as an insurance adviser for about a year now and have been looking for another job for about five months. The only thing keeping me at Saga is the good pay, you can't complain about that, especially if you hit targets and get good commission. As for the working environment, I walk in to people in tears because of the stress of the job. I've never seen such a high turnover of staff as there is here. Instead of management listening to the agents and improving the system they're happy for you to leave without a second thought, you will be replaced in an instant. I trained with 12 others and there's only two of us left, most left within the first 6 months.
If you want to work here just be aware you need to be able to deal with constant coaching, you're only as good as your last mistake, not a lot of praise for the good work you do. You can lose all your commission if you forget to say one thing on the phone, no consideration is taken if you're having an off day, you have to be on the ball every minute you're in there, leave your personal life at home. Angry customers, constantly, if you take things personally it's not the job for you.
I can only speak for sales and customer service departments, but about 5% of people enjoy their work, even enjoy is a strong word. There's extremely low morale, you will hear people moaning about the work constantly. Targets are unrealistic, as an example you can lose all your commission if the people you sell to don't have an email address to send their documents to.
Saga work under the guise that they care for their
  more... staff and customers, they don't, it's all about money, money, money.
If you decide to work here just go in, do the job, don't take anything to heart and go home. And try not to get too close to work colleagues cos they probably won't be there for long.
And finally be prepared to have to stay logged in to the phone up to the last second of your shift, if a call comes in on the last second and takes 45 minutes, tough.
Pros
very friendly colleagues who support each other
Cons
bad management, no support for stress, patronising coaching
enjoyable fast paced enviroment
executive agent for private medical insurance (Current Employee) –  Folkestone18 April 2016
i really enjoy my job within SAGA and have worked my way to a high level. It is an enjoyable place of work and every day is different
Excellent Ships
Guest Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Worldwide21 March 2016
Delivering on average 5 lectures per cruise. Excellent Cruise Directors and other support staff--it is always a real pleasure to be involved with Saga. Although it says here 'former employee', there is no way to remove this--the position is not as employee, but as a guest.
Pros
Excellent food
Cons
There are none
Good experience int sales and work life
Insurance telesales (Former Employee) –  Folkestone21 March 2016
A typical day at work would be turning up and setting up computer and phone ready for shift start. wait for incoming calls for travel insurance quotations. I learned how to manage my time better and working in a team, I also gained a lot of confidence on the phone and realized my potential for sales or customer service.
Higher management were great and very supportive during my time there. Unfortunately team manager could be slightly unprofessional.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working towards my targets and competing in my team against the other teams in the department.
Pros
Great atmosphere amongst team
Cons
Team Manager unproffesional
people in my team are good to work with
Cleaning Operative (Current Employee) –  Folkestone11 March 2016
I find my job at present very teadiess, with no mental stimulation. I am looking for something with more mental stimulation.
Pros
good benefits, ie holiday, pay, sick pay
Cons
late evening hours, boring work
Worst ever!!!!
carer (Former Employee) –  Luton14 January 2016
Long hours, 130-160 miles daily around Hertfordshire, I remember doing 9 days back to back...No support from a "Nursing Director".. Who was meant to be there to help the staff..Loved the clients, Very tiring..
Pros
Paid Milage was good
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saga. Our community is ready to answer.